Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this on the ST list, thought I see what we could come up with here.

So, the AGM battery in my 4$ has died in less than 2 years, funny OEM one lasted 6 years (but it probably needed replacement at 5) Alternating bikes, sports car and work road trips means she sits too much.

Anyone gone with the LiFe battery? I know what all the lit says, anyone with real experience on an ST?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't point you to them, but there are several threads about these batteries - people have indeed tried them, and there's a lot of discussion here - it's just a matter of finding it. I've also thought of getting one - they have a long shelf life so you don't have to worry about them getting soft if you don't ride for a few weeks - and they're LIGHT. How many easy ways of peeling 10-11 pounds off your bike can you find?

·
Super Moderator
5,570 Posts
I have read that they are not good for bikes with a lot of electrical accessories or for bikes that have parasitic drain when off. I don't know if the immobilizer counts as parasitic drain...I don't know how much electricity it uses.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We've been using LiFe batteries for several years now on our project bikes. If you have a bike with a draw, it should be plugged into a proper charger.

I currently have a Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX18L1-BS12 on my ST4S. It starts faster than my original battery. Under 40 degrees, I turn on the headlight for about 20 seconds to warm the battery up. Never failed to start. Saved about 7lbs of weight.

-M

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had one in my monster for 2 years and just put one in my ST3 last month. Love them and won't go back to the boat anchor batteries. Never had a problem and never had to put them on a charger or maintainer.

·
Super Moderator
5,570 Posts
That's good to hear. Maybe I'll make the switch when the existing battery gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put a Shorai on my ST4s about a month ago. Nice weight savings and fitment with the supplied foam pads. I wore mine out trying to start the bike when voltage regulator went bad. I charged it up with my Schumacher lead acid charger no problem. It's held a charge perfectly since then and the bike starts better and more quickly than it ever did with the old battery.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
As my older batteries die (all Yuasas) I have been replacing them with Shorais (two done so far, probably another next month by the sound of it). My ST4S has not died yet so it is on the list.

My experience has been great so far, they are ridiculously light, typically smaller and seem to have more "juice" and spin the motors faster than I remember. They seem to keep their charge longer. I think we will all begin to find out in a few years if they last any longer or have the same life expectancy as a traditional battery. My guess is they will wear out at the same rate (my laptop does so I don't expect much difference).

My plan is to get out of the dedicated charger strategy, having one traditional charger for each bike now, probably going to just one Shorai charger with their fancy maintenance plug and moving it around at regular intervals.

Prices seem to be coming down slightly but they will always probably be around 2x a premium maint-free lead battery.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I found on my bike, 02 st4s, the lipo battery drains when sitting for 2 weeks or so as it has a lower reserve. I put in a battery cutout switch on the active circuit and left the battery directly connected to the starter. Worked great, full charge after sitting months. Just get a good 50amp toggle switch if you want to go that route.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I put in a battery cutout switch on the active circuit
I have been thinking about a tidy way to put a cut-out switch for just this purpose. I have a truck that has a battery master switch and it can sit a long time with no issues. I have seen a few clever aftermarket bits for cars but would be interested in any examples that might be a clever no-tool solution for bikes. Ideas?

·
Registered
395 Posts
can't comment on LiFePO4 battery drain because my bikes get ridden often, but I've had a Ballistic on my BMW S1000RR since new and it is not only absurdly small and light, it cranks harder and has a bigger reserve, which I got to test when the crank position sensor died on my BMW and before getting towed I tried starting the bike at LEAST 20-30 times. Very cost effective weight savings and a better performing battery IMHO.

Will probably get around to putting one in my ST4. A balance charger (that balances the charge among all the cells) runs $80, but my regular home car battery charger topped off my Ballistic battery just fine.

I also don't know how they would perform in seriously subfreezing weather. Back in my mountain climbing days, I used lithium AA batteries in my headlamps because they would work in the cold while my buddies using alkalines would lose light when the temps got really chilly. So I'm guessing they would work ok, but I don't live in a place that gets that cold.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at an Li battery for my st2 project. Can anyone tell me what is the biggest physical size I would be able to get under the tank once I have made a tray for it.
Cheers chesterxiii.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
idea: de-lid your air box, and make a cute holder for it where the lid used to be. Should have plenty of volume to mount a battery in there. Even an AGM battery on its side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I probably won't be able to use the airbox as I'm changing the tank for a 999 and/or a Radical Ducati tank, so I want to make it look a bit more of a pro finish with a properly fabricated tray and brackets as per Radical.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at an Li battery for my st2 project. Can anyone tell me what is the biggest physical size I would be able to get under the tank once I have made a tray for it.
Cheers chesterxiii.
The LiFe batteries are all smaller than OEM.
We have measurements of the Ballistic and Shorai batteries here:

Batteries and Chargers

Try to use the 18ah Shorai or at least a 12cell Ballistic on the ST.
On the Shorai, check the position of the posts.

-M

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
installed

So, I installed the Shorai on Sunday AM, two hours including pulling
right side fairings (2004 ST4$), breakfast, and reinstalling fairings.

Amazing how small and light the new battery is. Bike fired right up.

Test rode and all is good, due to the low position of the battery on
this bike, not sure I really felt the weight difference. The next time
my 04' Monster 1000 Sie needs a battery, I'll probably go this route,
since the battery is high under the gas tank, I'm sure I'll feel that
weight difference.

thanks all for the feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts