Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of aftermarket, specifically Pazzo levers doing harm to your clutch? If Im not mistaken my mechanic told me they had a clutch problem on a bike that took forever to figure out and, it ended up being the levers. I have them on my CBR and love them. Well I want to put some on the 848 which has the wet clutch. So any info would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone heard of aftermarket, specifically Pazzo levers doing harm to your clutch? If Im not mistaken my mechanic told me they had a clutch problem on a bike that took forever to figure out and, it ended up being the levers. I have them on my CBR and love them. Well I want to put some on the 848 which has the wet clutch. So any info would be great. Thank you.
I have them on my 848 with no problems, other than being sweet! Short brake and long clutch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't think he really mint the levers themselves....I could see if they were maxed out on the adjustment one way or the other. I have Pazzos shorty's on my K1200S BMW and short ASVs' on my 1098S great products and never a problem :) .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe that was it. Like I said the mechanic said it took a while to find out what the deals was. I will talk to him soon and follow up. I always love some nice levers for a mod.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I am thinking the issue is the adjustment of the levers.
I do not have these levers and at $1XX.00 + a piece I have no
desire to get any. I use Parts unlimited cast levers at $17.00 a pair
as opposed to the forged at the $1XX.00 + apiece stock or replacements.
Forged is not going to save the levers when you crash or even just drop the bike.

Anyway back to the adjustment issue.
The small pin that goes into the boot on the master cylinder is threaded
on the stock and replacement levers. There is a hex to fit a small wrench to adjust the
pin length from the lever to the master cylinder. If this adjustment is turned out too far
it will cause the master cylinder piston to be moved forward just like if you pulled the lever
in to actuate either the front brake or clutch.
The problem comes in if the master cylinder piston is pushed too far forward that it closes the fluid passage, the hole the fluid passes through from the reservoir to the master cylinder. This passage must remain open to the reservoir so the fluid can pass through both ways when the lever is full out.
What happens if this passage is blocked by the piston from an incorrectly adjusted lever is as the fluid in the system has no place to go as it expands from heat except to push out on the caliper pistons which activates the front brakes or the clutch slave cylinder.
In the case of the front brakes this can cause the front brakes to lock and in the case of the clutch the clutch will slip.
The front brake locking up is the big problem from what I understand with some after market levers.
The trick to adjusting the levers that I use and I have had no issues as long as I don't forget to check is this simple check:
Pull the lever slightly and look at your fluid reservoir. If the fluid level does not go up very slightly your adjusted too tight and you need to back it off until the fluid level rises just slightly when you pull the lever on either the front brake or the clutch.
As you pull the lever the master cylinder piston moves forward closing the fuid passage and this will push a very small amount of fluid back up into the reservoir before the passage is closed off from the reservoir.
Once you get the desired affect don't forget the locking set screw that is located in the pivot that the pin is screwed into. Of course you did remember to loosen the set screw when you first started to adjust the pin didn't you??? Make sure you tighten this set screw so the pin will not rotate either in or out and change the adjustment for you as you ride. The set screw is pretty tiny so it does not take much to secure it but don't forget to loosen it first and then tighten it after you are finished.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you change your mind and decide to get CRG levers instead of Pazzos, Kyle Racing is selling CRGs for $175/pr.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great answer Sage! He made it sound like if not done properly it could happen with any aftermarket levers. May happen may not. I do not think I want to risk it. Front brakes locking sounds like a swift trip to the ER:eek: I was getting the set of levers for $150. Black with red adj. I love the brakes on it now and the way it shifts so it's not worth it for cosmetics. Thanks again, sounds right.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't see how a set of levers could cause a problem........That doesn't even seem right. Pazzo are great levers. I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
the levers have an adjustable actuating pin on them.it's an install problem,not a parts problem.search and you will find posts on front brakes stuck on etc.all from not adjusting the pin correctly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts