Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day with a Kiwi buddy of mine on his Tuono and we went far enough north to be on the edges of the Nuke spew from Fukushima. Great mix of roads and scenery, full day of fun. However, when we stopped at the bottom of a pretty step mountain road to turn off our video cams, my bike started to roll as I was monkeying with his helmet cam. We both saw it at the same time as the ST took a slow roll to the left and ding itself. We got the bike up and there was very little damage to anything but the clutch lever. Tip broke off.
So, any suggestions for replacement levers for my ST. My buddy has some trick adjustable ones that look sharp and are a bit shorter than stock, but the Tuono kind of has the techno\robo look to it that makes those levers a bit more fitting. Figured you guys would have some better info for a wounded ST.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Sorry to here about the drop , so bl**dy annoying when a simple thing like that happens.

Pazzo and CRG are both good quality but seems the market is flooded with options these days , the problem being how to tell the quality. maybe others can recommend other , cheaper , alternatives.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I fitted some replacement adjustable levers which were a sort of pattern part off evil bay. However I refitted the original levers because they are a low profile design. The new levers clashed against the fairing on full lock. I suppose you could adjust the lock stops, but I like a good turning circle, just a thought before you start investing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ASV Levers

I have ASV levers. They are 'unbreakable' and have a lifetime guarantee! Popular with the BSB teams i think. They look trick, are adjustable, and have a nice quality feel to them. I have them on both the MK1 and MK2 fairings with no interfernece problems. Highly recommeneded.

Attachments

·
2,650 Posts
I have ASV levers. They are 'unbreakable' and have a lifetime guarantee! Popular with the BSB teams i think. They look trick, are adjustable, and have a nice quality feel to them. I have them on both the MK1 and MK2 fairings with no interfernece problems. Highly recommeneded.
They look nice but from the photo they dont appear to have the sacrificial 'break-away' ball end that stops the impact being passed to the slave cylinder mount and also leaves some lever to use after a fall.
Is that correct or is it just not viewable in this photo ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
They look nice but from the photo they dont appear to have the sacrificial 'break-away' ball end that stops the impact being passed to the slave cylinder mount
From the ASV website:

Unbreakable Design
All ASV levers feature a special pivot design that allows the lever to fold out of harms way in the event of a crash or tip-over of the bike. Instead of bending or breaking, ASV levers simply pivot outward when impact occurs, and spring back instantly. The pivot junction uses a pair of high quality chrome steel, ABEC rated precision sealed bearings for years of smooth operation and ZERO "play" or "slop".

A special high-tension Chrome Silicon cantilever spring returns the lever back to its original position instantly and does not allow the lever to pivot at all while riding. This high quality spring is rated for over 100,000 rotations without losing it's original tension.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a thought before you start investing.
which is of course why I asked here! Any link for the ASV levers. Will look myself, but not always successful.
Thanks troops! BTW, what color would go with a Yellar ST4....IYHO

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, did a quick search and found they are in Huntington Beach. Product looks great, will look into this a bit further. Bet these guys go surfin on Wednesdays if the surf is up! Only way to stay creative!!

·
2,650 Posts
DrTom - Is the photo of a different model as cant see the pivot point.
I was aware there were levers available with this function but could not see the method on the particular one shown ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
on my BMWs I used CRG levers, then switched to Brembo folding levers. I prefer short levers as I only use two fingers, but really haven't felt the need to upgrade from the stock ST levers. Of course, if they broke...I really did like the CRGs. Just felt I got more breakage protection from the new Brembo folding design.

perhaps as a preventative measure...I've just noticed this year on sport bikes and in MotoGP these guards that attach at the bar ends at a 90 degree angle. They're not full barkbuster guards - they just stick out forwards and then terminate, but apparently must serve to help protect the levers in a crash?

Anyone know what they're called? I tried to google these and came up empty handed...

·
2,650 Posts
on my BMWs I used CRG levers, then switched to Brembo folding levers. I prefer short levers as I only use two fingers, but really haven't felt the need to upgrade from the stock ST levers. Of course, if they broke...I really did like the CRGs. Just felt I got more breakage protection from the new Brembo folding design.

perhaps as a preventative measure...I've just noticed this year on sport bikes and in MotoGP these guards that attach at the bar ends at a 90 degree angle. They're not full barkbuster guards - they just stick out forwards and then terminate, but apparently must serve to help protect the levers in a crash?

Anyone know what they're called? I tried to google these and came up empty handed...
Rizoma supply the GP paddock with these guards.

They are not really meant as protection against breakage in a crash , they are to prevent the front brake being applied if the bar hits another rider and fitment was provoked by the Gibernau/Capirossi incident a couple of years back. You will notice they are only fitted to the brake side.

If you look at Rizomas' site you will see them , they do supply the road market but not sure for how many models.

I do fancy some new levers and either AASV or CRG folding look a good idea , maybe in the short version as I also tend to only use two fingers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rizoma supply the GP paddock with these guards.

They are not really meant as protection against breakage in a crash , they are to prevent the front brake being applied if the bar hits another rider and fitment was provoked by the Gibernau/Capirossi incident a couple of years back. You will notice they are only fitted to the brake side.

If you look at Rizomas' site you will see them , they do supply the road market but not sure for how many models.

I do fancy some new levers and either AASV or CRG folding look a good idea , maybe in the short version as I also tend to only use two fingers.
thanks for the info! These things (mounted on both bars) seem to be the hot thing for 1198/848 riders around here these days. And I recall seeing them on both bars on certain rider's bikes in the last MotoGP race.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I too like to use only two fingers...on the brake side. I found that when I fit the shorty ASV levers on both sides the clutch side became rather annoying after a while. The ball end of the clutch lever caused me grief where it contacted my ring finger because of the added frequency and pressure the clutch required. When I replace the levers next I will have a shorty on the brake and a standard length on the clutch.

·
2,650 Posts
Just fitted CRG 'Short' levers , Black with Grey adjusters , not problems with fitting (had to let some fluid out to leave suitable free-paly but otherwise they work fine and look nice.
Will take a photo when I get a chance

·
7,733 Posts
Re the "folding" levers: Just how easily will the lever move away from the bar? Would an accidental brushing of the lever with fingers as one goes to engage it move them further back, or are they fairly sturdy?

·
2,650 Posts
I too like to use only two fingers...on the brake side. I found that when I fit the shorty ASV levers on both sides the clutch side became rather annoying after a while. The ball end of the clutch lever caused me grief where it contacted my ring finger because of the added frequency and pressure the clutch required. When I replace the levers next I will have a shorty on the brake and a standard length on the clutch.
I use the 2nd and 3rd fingers on my clutch hand so the short lever works fine.

The only issue I have is caused by my summer gloves (Alpinestars) , where the 4th and 3rd fingers linked , to reduce injury I gather.
That does cause a slight issue but will learn to live with it or can always cut the leather 'tie' if cant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts