Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so before all the fancy boys on the SPs start chiming in about using the Supercorsa V2/V3s, let me begin by saying I have a 950 which of course came with Rosso IIIs and they have been great. I have used Supercorsa V2s on my SF848 in the past and although it was a great tire as well, the life of the tire was not great.

I get roughly 4k out of a set of Rosso IIIs an again no hiccups whatsoever. They have really been great for slightly aggressive street riding. I have been contemplating a trial of the Michelin Pilot Road 5s just to see if I can retain the same level of feel and grip, while gaining a little mileage. Anyone using the Pilot Road 5s and are to share their experience? I'm not interested in sport touring hypermileage (not expecting 7 or 8k) but usually by the 3.5k mark I've got a good center stripe developing on my Rosso III.

I'll welcome suggestions but also quite happy sticking with the Rosso IIIs. Again this is more of cabin fever and trying to explore changes but there is nothing wrong with that tire.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have no experience with Road 5s. I have friends that love them. I think they are expensive beyond their mileage benefit.

I am using Bridgestone S22. They are inexpensive, have awesome grip and feel, and seem to last for what I ride.

I can almost get 2 sets of S22s for the price of one set of Road 5s.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
If one day I wouldn't fit Pirelli on a Ducati, I'd go Metzeler, M7 as a good compromise or M9 for the summer season

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a SP model - after the super corsa tires were wasted away, I swapped them out for the pirelli diablo corsa 2 tires. I wanted to keep a similar profile to the supercorsa due to feel and traction control system, but I also wanted a tire that would wear better. So far I have been very pleased with the profile, grip, and feel. They also perform much better in the wet than the super corsas did. Multiple compound tires make a lot of sense for street use. IMO, this is the tire the bike should have come with stock. I also did a track day on them and they performed extremely well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I liked the road 5, like Decreasing said they are expensive so you have to catch them on a sale . The down side to the Road 5 is the profile is more ball shaped at the center as opposed to most having a higher peak. What this means is that the bike, on initial turn in is slower which makes the bike feel less exciting. The grip and longevity is pretty good.
Used to be a die hard M7RR fan but switched to the M9rr and love them. The M9rr would be my recommendation. I have them on now. They have confidence inspiring grip, quick turn in feel, great in all weather (except ice which I found out recently pushing the bike through the snow) and seem to have a decent life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lo guys,

Anyone here put a 190 rear ? I know these are not for 5.5 rims, to get max performance contact patch . But, for kinda public road riding yet knee dragging, what you think, 190 Ok?

Thing is , I really like phat looking tires. So just wondering looks wise ..

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Lo guys,

Anyone here put a 190 rear ? I know these are not for 5.5 rims, to get max performance contact patch . But, for kinda public road riding yet knee dragging, what you think, 190 Ok?

Why? For looks?

Extended swingarms look cool too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why? For looks?

Extended swingarms look cool too.
Hi Dave,

The Why is as I asked wrote - I like the looks. I think superbike rear 200 would even look more awesome :D

Haven't seen / thought of extended swing arm, but I like the swingarm it has by default.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lo guys,

dude if you're running out of room "edge of tires" on the street you might just need to hit the track. Trust me a 180 gives you plenty of room. I certainly wouldn't be influencing the handling of my bike for a cosmetic reason but that's me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Forum user and new Hypermotard owner. Just picked up a used 2016 SP with about 5500 miles. So far love the bike but had a similar question to the OP. The guy I bought it from just put on a new set of tires. Awesome! Except they are the Michelin Pilot Road 4’s. Not sure what would posses him to put those on unless they are better then I would think, but all the info I have read says they are hard compound sport touring tires. I don’t think they have 300 miles on them but certainly not what I would have chosen. Has anyone used a set of these? 90% of my riding is North GA mountain roads. I’m getting a little older (55) and have the self awareness that I don’t bounce like I used to and won’t be doing track days but have about 45 years worth of riding experience and like to push some and be confident in my tires. Mileage is not a concern. Should I swap these out for something stickier?

·
Sophomore Member
3,188 Posts
They stick pretty well, honestly. They also shed water really well, which as you know is important in north Ga. That is the one tire in that line up that I don’t care for. My main gripe with it is difficulty in getting heat in the tire. Once playing in the mountains, that’s not a problem, but you just have to be ease into it. I don’t know how the water cooled Hypers are, but I already have a tough time keeping heat in the front of my Hyper unless I’m really working it.

Try out the PR4. If you like it, you won’t have to change tires for a long time. If you don’t, get rid of it.

Reactions: EJ D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great questions from you all. I have the SP and just turned 3700 miles yesterday and was shocked the stock tires showed threads when I arrived home. I was considering going back with the Pirelli Supercorse's but want more information before I pull the trigger.

Please keep the information coming. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They stick pretty well, honestly. They also shed water really well, which as you know is important in north Ga.

Try out the PR4. If you like it, you won’t have to change tires for a long time. If you don’t, get rid of it.
So I figured I would post an update with my impressions on the RP4’s that I was worried about. Seventy and perfect here today so played hooky from work and did a ride up 60 from Dahlonega GA to Blue Ridge and back. About 100 miles total 70% of it twisties. I have nothing bad to say about these tires. I ran the pressure a little lower than manufacture recommended. I went 32f/36r. We did a spirited ride. No chicken strips left on the tires and not once did I have an issue or not have confidence in them. They seemed to warm up ok and had plenty of grip. The bike turned in quickly and was very stable even under hard acceleration. That being said I really concentrate on being as smooth on the throttle as possible and was not really pushing the bike or my limits on public roads. Being realistic about my capabilities and what’s a safe pace on the street I’m not going to have any issue running these things. If I were going to do a track day it might be different but they are fine for my riding and pace. If they last a while all the better.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could not stray from the what came stock. I resisted the temptation and ended up just buying my 3rd set of Diablo Rosso IIIs. Great tire and gets me pretty decent tire life (just over 4k).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great questions from you all. I have the SP and just turned 3700 miles yesterday and was shocked the stock tires showed threads when I arrived home. I was considering going back with the Pirelli Supercorse's but want more information before I pull the trigger.

Please keep the information coming. Thanks guys.
That's good miles out of a set of those, I expect mine to last about 4000 kms, you've got six thousand kms out of a set.

I'm also a bit older, with half a century of motorcycling behind me, I'm leaning towards the Metzlers for my next set, regardless of what I end up with they will be a harder compound, and possibly dual compound. I'm not averse to a bit of understeer, but I am 3 hours from the nearest bike shop, let alone 4 hours to the dealership.

I don't reckon I'm good enough to blister a set of dual compounds these days, even if the bike is 😁

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's good miles out of a set of those, I expect mine to last about 4000 kms, you've got six thousand kms out of a set.

I'm also a bit older, with half a century of motorcycling behind me, I'm leaning towards the Metzlers for my next set, regardless of what I end up with they will be a harder compound, and possibly dual compound. I'm not averse to a bit of understeer, but I am 3 hours from the nearest bike shop, let alone 4 hours to the dealership.

I don't reckon I'm good enough to blister a set of dual compounds these days, even if the bike is 😁
I m now with stock tires, Rosso's III . Years before I used Rosso I I think it was, good tire, I even tracked them.

Now, after 1000 km I think I should do another 2 - 3k on the rear (hope easy ..) on these Rosso III; but, I do see the local roads are harsh even for this rubber, so I'm not putting anything smoother than that. Will just not last at all.

Dunno, but personally I think Metzlers are shyte :p Although I only tried their sport track tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts