Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it will be tough to beat the forum with all the California riders, but I know we have a fair amount of Ducati riders in the area. So let's show em what we got guys. This season I'll be at the track alot. I expect to see some of your track experiences posted here as well as your experiences street riding. I'll be street riding this year as well maybe with Mid Atlantic Ducati. So hopefully we can all meet up when riding with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
I definitly think we need to somewhat organize rides more through this section....PNW has some hardcore ride action organization going that will be hard to beat....but I think it is possible....I am signed up for the April 10,11th VIR/Cornerspeed day with MAD-Ducati and will try and pass along some times that the MAD-sters will be riding that people can join and that I might be on....but I expect with my recent back trouble episide that I am not going to be riding for about a month-ish.....but we'll see?!?!?!?!?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
hey Zoom I hope your back gets better. I'm also signed up for the April track days @ VIR.

I live in Silver Spring/ work in college park, and would definitely be interested in organizing rides. Although lately I have been torn; I love riding to work when its 50-60 degrees out, but I think my skis are feeling neglected :p

As far as riding with MAD, I havent had a chance to go meet those guys yet but would like to in the spring anyway, so I would definitely appreciate you keeping us posted on that.

Also if anyone in the area is up to some aerial action, one of my addictions happens to be skydiving and I could organize a ride out to the dropzone (bout 2 hours, on the eastern shore) for anyone who wants to come jump with me. Definitely a very cool way to spend a Saturday, get a good ride in, jump out of a plane and freefall for 14000 ft at 120 mph, then ride home :D Springtime or summer though, wind chill at 120 mph in winter is not for everyone :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm all for the free fall thing. Been wanting to do that for awhile. A few years ago my friends and I were on a ride and stopped at a gas station in Orange County, VA. I look up in the sky and there's a parachute and then another, and then another. First thing that flashed in my mind is "It's Red Dawn". Then I realized it must be a jump area. Pretty neat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
apagios said:
hey Zoom I hope your back gets better. I'm also signed up for the April track days @ VIR.

I live in Silver Spring/ work in college park, and would definitely be interested in organizing rides. Although lately I have been torn; I love riding to work when its 50-60 degrees out, but I think my skis are feeling neglected :p

As far as riding with MAD, I havent had a chance to go meet those guys yet but would like to in the spring anyway, so I would definitely appreciate you keeping us posted on that.

Also if anyone in the area is up to some aerial action, one of my addictions happens to be skydiving and I could organize a ride out to the dropzone (bout 2 hours, on the eastern shore) for anyone who wants to come jump with me. Definitely a very cool way to spend a Saturday, get a good ride in, jump out of a plane and freefall for 14000 ft at 120 mph, then ride home :D Springtime or summer though, wind chill at 120 mph in winter is not for everyone :p
DUDE....I could totally see riding out to go jump!...and if we get a big enough group and schedule with em ahead I think we get a discount...do we not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
yeah i can try and work a discount in, but if we cant get a big enough group I can have everyone sign up through the college park skydiving crew (im now the advisor for the club anyway). We've worked a perpetual group deal with the dropzone since we've been taking students out for past 5 or 6 years. the dropzone is Skydive Delmarva our club website is UMD Skydiving I can waive the club fee so that'll save nother 15 bucks. I still have to confirm our rates for this coming season, but its should be 160 for a tandem. (tandem is where your strapped to an instructor; Accelerated FreeFall or AFF is the course where they teach you to skydive on your own, you jump with 2 instructors but have your own parachute and radio to help you land, all the details are on the websites) But yeah lets work out a day, prolly May would be best when its warm and the winds have died down from march and april. If you guys know any one who would like to go its open to whoever, I just have to get every one signed up ahead of time(like a week before is fine) to organize the discount. If any one has question feel free to email me, or at somepoint close to before the trip we can meet up somewhere and I can show some videos, gear, explain what to expect that kinda thing too. Zooom if you want to open it up to MAD thats cool too, would at least be an interesting way for me to get to know them :p

Props to you guys for wanting to jump, all my "normal" friends are too scared, they have a pool going of which will kill me first the bike or the jumping :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say this. I bet it's the scariest thing in the world to parachute and have your chute never open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
nah theres always the reserve :p all the gear at delmarva has a CYPRES, its a little black box that detects your altitude and rate of descent via a pressure transducer, the little computer will automatically pull your reserve for you if you dont by 1000 feet, so even if you pass out or forget or for whatever reason your reserve will still open up, which the reserve has to be repacked every 120 days by an FAA certified rigger. but just in case i always offer the following garantee:

"If niether your main or reserve canopy open, then your next jump is on me"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
i'd love to go on some rides organized by this group or MAD-Ducati.

i think i'd enjoy the nervous feeling of riding my bike knowing that i'm about to jump out of a plane...and the smile on my face riding back afterwards! i've never done it before, but the offer is just too good to refuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
awesome, bring on the brave and daring:p I'll be sure to be on the plane with you guys, I love seeing the look on peoples faces as they step to the door and lean out into the roaring wind. Just make sure you dont scream like a girl cause we can hear that in the plane as you fall out the door, its hilarious :D

Probably the easiest thing to do is organize a first ride around here, have some fun and whoever wants to jump I can go over details after the ride, show some video, give you guys an idea what to expect and pick a date to jump!

Maybe see if we can all join up with MAD for one of their rides in the spring?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
apagios said:
awesome, bring on the brave and daring:p I'll be sure to be on the plane with you guys, I love seeing the look on peoples faces as they step to the door and lean out into the roaring wind. Just make sure you dont scream like a girl cause we can hear that in the plane as you fall out the door, its hilarious :D

Probably the easiest thing to do is organize a first ride around here, have some fun and whoever wants to jump I can go over details after the ride, show some video, give you guys an idea what to expect and pick a date to jump!

Maybe see if we can all join up with MAD for one of their rides in the spring?
that sounds like a brilliant plan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Let's get 'em!

grendels_arm said:
it will be tough to beat the forum with all the California riders, but I know we have a fair amount of Ducati riders in the area.
Count me in, now where is this "fair amount of Ducati riders in the area"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
www.mad-ducati.com

Tons of local Ducati riders. This is a very rich area. I'm not saying there are more Ducatis than Hondas. But we sure have more Ducatis around this area than say North Dakota.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Northern VA

who wants to ride 7/1-7/4??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I will say this. I bet it's the scariest thing in the world to parachute and have your chute never open.
I think the sudden stop when you reach ground level would be more frightening...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top