Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I needed something to wilt the leaves on trees as I drove down a twisty forested road.

So this is a work in progress, I just received a pair of LEDRider LR40 LED lights.

I'd done a bit of research and really fancied the Clearwater Erica lights, but these were 4 times more expensive that the LED Rider lights.

They don't have a large electrical draw and I'll run them off a relay and trigger than from the existing driving lights or the hi beam or maybe put them on a separate switch.

I don't plan on using them for daytime running, although you can buy a dimmer that reduces their output down to respectable levels, I might get this in the future.

I think these will seriously out power the add on OEM Driving lights and I may end up taking the OEM lights off and mounting the LED Rider lights in their place.

It'll probably be Monday before I can get them all wired up. I'll try and take some pictures and maybe a little video when I'm done.

Model: LR40
4x Cree XM-L2 LEDs
4160 Lumens
3.0 Amps @ 12 Volt DC (~36 watts)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I looked at these lights when I was deciding which ones to buy - will be interested to see how you like them.
I wired mine up with power to a relay from the battery, triggered by the high beam relay - makes it easy to switch them off quickly when oncoming traffic appears!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the headlight relay on the bike?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure about the 2015, but on the 2014 its the fore-most of the two relays under the front fuse panel. Take the cover off and feel the relays as you flick the high beams on/off... if it clicks then its probably the one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could you get some beam shots comparing the Clearwater and Hella/DP aux lights? I like how the Ducati lights are integrated, but I have a suspicion they will be outmatched by most aftermarket LED lights and they aren't cheap at $450. I really want to get some aux lights before spring, but don't know what to get. The only lights I have experience with are the Rigid D2 HD, which were decent but bulky.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Stating the obvious ... and based on experience ... the problem with outlying lights is the nearly guaranteed damage in a tip over.

But then again, most tip overs are going to result in some kind of damage so it may not matter anyway. Just saying.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could you get some beam shots comparing the Clearwater and Hella/DP aux lights? I like how the Ducati lights are integrated, but I have a suspicion they will be outmatched by most aftermarket LED lights and they aren't cheap at $450. I really want to get some aux lights before spring, but don't know what to get. The only lights I have experience with are the Rigid D2 HD, which were decent but bulky.
The Ducati lights provide a very flat beam... so as soon as the tip into a corner, they do nothing but light up the ground next to your bike. They are also a killer on cars when you're overtaking them as the edge of the beam is very bright. I am very happy with the 25w LED lights I put on mine - especially when they cost $130 each.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The Ducati lights provide a very flat beam... so as soon as the tip into a corner, they do nothing but light up the ground next to your bike. They are also a killer on cars when you're overtaking them as the edge of the beam is very bright. I am very happy with the 25w LED lights I put on mine - especially when they cost $130 each.

I likey,,,, do you have a link?

thanks.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moved the location a little, initially thought I may have to ditch the OEM Fog/Driving lights, but there is room.

As I am keeping the OEM lights in place, I'm going to wire the new lights off a separate switch. These lights draw almost the same as the OEM Fog/Driving lights, so there shouldn't be too much extra draw on the electrical system with just the new lights on.

These lights cost me $147 delivered.

You can see the difference with where I had initially mounted the left one.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local Ducati dealer sent the crash bars out to be powder coated, matches the frame very well.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Love the place where you mounted them 👍

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. Definitely not interested in the Ducati Accessory lights then. I'm interested in aux lights with a flood pattern. I want to get more width in addition to the main LED high beam (which is a pencil beam and turns off the low beam) and to have some light when the bike is leaned over in a corner. The cornering lights are only helpful at low speeds and with a specific corner radius. Anything other than that singular ideal corner and I end up riding into a black hole with the main headlight (high or low).

Good work and again a beautiful bike. The red and white really pops.
Mine cost $120 to have powder coated locally. The color is NIC Wheel Red.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
If going for motorcycle lights, Id look real hard at VisionX and Rigid in the US.
Both make really good lights and both have diffrent beams availble.

My first choice would be the the 1+w LED Vision X optimus HALO round. 3" round
3.0" & 3.7" Optimus Halo - Vision X Lighting
HALO style DRL light for better visibilty during the day
10 OR 20 OR 60 degree spread (Id go for 20 degree)
Additional filters for driving light OR spread beam availble to just snap on.

If you can get something a little bigger on there.. VisionX Lightcannon 25w. Hands down..
4.5"
10 degree only on the light BUT.. 10 diffrent filters from extremly wide to euro to driving to pencil.LED Light Cannons are capable of being 20 lights in 1 with Snap On Polycarbonate Covers. Quickly go from Spot, to Euro, to Flood or Wide Flood, or even Elliptical beam patterns. Each beam pattern is available in Red, Blue, Amber, or Clear and a Black Out
4.5" 25 Watt LED Light Cannon - Vision X Lighting

Thrid option would be Rigids D2 or Dually series.
Square, but availble in diffrent beams.
upside is that they offer abit more range then the above, but downside is that they dont have the filters option.
I kinda like the idea of having a "euro" or "Eliptical" beam on for twisties and then when I hit the highway or long straight road, I can pop the cover of to extend the range and If I decide to camp, pop a wide flood filter on for lighting up camp.
LED Lighting | Rigid Industries[0]=field_product_family%3a5&f[1]=field_product_family%3a50&f[2]=field_optics%3a102

·
Registered
324 Posts
How good are the Ducati performance lights themselves as far as brightness and distance throw of the beam go? I like the look of the lights and how they fit and the fact that the switch is already in the switchgear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
982 Posts
How good are the Ducati performance lights themselves as far as brightness and distance throw of the beam go? I like the look of the lights and how they fit and the fact that the switch is already in the switchgear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
They are more a driving or fog light. They don't throw much of any light down the road; mainly down and to the sides. The switch isn't a part of the switchgear, at least not in the US, though there is a dedicated spot for it on the left handlebar. They are very bright.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished

I put switch up on the handlebars, ran power from my FuzeBlock (3A) through the switch to a relay. I got power from the FuzeBlock for the relay to the supply to power to the lights (7a).

These are very bright. They make the OEM LED headlight, on HiBeam and the OEM Driving lights look like they are parking lights in comparison.

I hope to get out this evening to see what kind of light spread they give. I'll try and take some pictures

1 - 20 of 62 Posts