Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to ask, I havent rotated the motor or started it all for 5-6 months, it's just been sitting inside my office- But I had heard the belts can 'go bad' if the bike is not started frequently... What is the general consensus on that subject?
Are we talking 1 month or 2 years before they 'go bad'?

I literally had the new belts installed 6 months ago, then rode maybe 50 miles, and brought it inside.

Should I be worried to fire it up and take it out? Thanks fellas'! :)

·
grand poobah
719 Posts
Uh, I live in Central Wisconsin. My bikes get parked in October and not started till Late March. So every year since I have owned my 98 748 it sits for 6 months without being started. This is probably why my bike only has 12K on it. Seeing as the belts are new at just 6 months ago it should not be a problem. The standard for belt replacement has become every 2 years but mine have gone slightly longer, due to the closest Duc shop being a 3 hour drive away, and less than 1k per year of use on the bikes. The best advice is to take a look at the belts, if dry rotted and cracked get a new set. If they look good they should be ok. If you are really worried take it to a tech to get em checked. If it was mine I would fire her up and enjoy.
Ride and be merry as you could be in Central Wisconsin where the high temp today was 38. Brad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts