Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question to pose to the experts as well as anyone in the collective brain trust here.

I have read a story, numerous times over the years regarding an unspecified number of 1993 Super Lights being unofficially imported to the US.

In this story, an unnamed dealer ordered an unspecified number of 1993 Super Lights after seeing the sales success of the 1992 bikes. (I've read 30, 50 and even the odd ball specific 17)

The story continues that very few of the 1993 bikes sold as the trick wheels that adorned the 1992 bikes were discontinued for 1993 on the bikes the rest of the world got. As such, the weight difference was not substantial enough to command the premium being asked for the Super Light.

The story takes a turn that has the unnamed dealer ask Ducati NA what to do with all these unsold bikes. Supposedly said dealer is instructed to paint the unsold bikes red and sell them as 900 SS/SPs at the lower price for the SS/SP.

My question is, is this story a load of baloney? Simply internet legend? Or, is there some factual basis for the story? I've seemingly read it a dozen times over the years. Mostly since the beginning of the internet but I want to say I've read in print some years back, even before the internet. Thanks in advance..........sean

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
My only thought is that the limited edition badges on the top triple would be different. And/or not have correct sequence serial numbering.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
i think it would be rubbish, but you never know.

the sp first appeared as 94 models, so they would have been very old 93 by then. you can tell via the vin though, in terms of what number frame it is, and that would give them away as to approximate build date.

the 93 sl didn't have floating front discs, and i don't think they even had the floating rear caliper, altho i can check that tomorrow. so they would have had to fit the expensive discs to them to make them an sp. plus all the 93 sl i have seen have been red, i don't think they made any other colour for 93 as there were no usa spec bikes. usa spec was a complete different thing to euro, with the canisters and different carbs, etc. the yellow sl was 92 usa only (all euro were red) and the black ss were also 92 and usa only.

i think 93 and 94 fairings would be the same, and the sp is much the same as the euro 94 sl, but with a dual seat. so a 93 sl with a dual seat fitted would be a 93 ss with some carbon.

it would cost a fair bit to make a 93 sl in to a 94 sp. you wouldn't do all that then sell them for less.

when they couldn't sell all the 94 888 ltd (or 93 sp0?) that went to the usa (usa only model) they sent them back to europe and sold them there. and we got some 95 (i think, maybe 96) 900sp in au as they ran out of euro spec 900ss and there was obviously the demand here for them. they would have required a headlight change, but they didn't do anything else to them afair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a question to pose to the experts as well as anyone in the collective brain trust here.

I have read a story, numerous times over the years regarding an unspecified number of 1993 Super Lights being unofficially imported to the US.

In this story, an unnamed dealer ordered an unspecified number of 1993 Super Lights after seeing the sales success of the 1992 bikes. (I've read 30, 50 and even the odd ball specific 17)

The story continues that very few of the 1993 bikes sold as the trick wheels that adorned the 1992 bikes were discontinued for 1993 on the bikes the rest of the world got. As such, the weight difference was not substantial enough to command the premium being asked for the Super Light.

The story takes a turn that has the unnamed dealer ask Ducati NA what to do with all these unsold bikes. Supposedly said dealer is instructed to paint the unsold bikes red and sell them as 900 SS/SPs at the lower price for the SS/SP.

My question is, is this story a load of baloney? Simply internet legend? Or, is there some factual basis for the story? I've seemingly read it a dozen times over the years. Mostly since the beginning of the internet but I want to say I've read in print some years back, even before the internet. Thanks in advance..........sean
It can't be true because there was never a Superlight in the United States in 1992, ONLY in Europe.

In the United States the Superlight is a 1993 year bike, not 1992. They were only made for one year and Only came with Marvic wheels, and floating front iron discs. They made 300 total, 100 of the 300 went to California.

I've heard stories of yellow 900SS that were painted red by the dealer, but not Superlights, not sure if they were Sps or not.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/11835-1993-superlight-1996-900ss.html

Page 2 of this old thread has an iteration of the same story I'm talking about.

1993 US Super Lights are actually 1992 Super Lights to the rest of the world. There were only yellow Super Lights imported to the US for the one year.

In 1993 Ducati dropped the Akront-Marvic composite front wheels from the Super Light. In the UK at least, the 1993 was badged as a Super Light MKII.

Colors for the Super Light, according to both Ian Falloon and the Super Light registry were red or yellow.

1992 bikes had white frames. All years after they were painted bronze from the factory.

Easy to see the differences when seen side by side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It’s a legend
Ever seen a red SP with a SL mono tail? Nope, me neither and I have been buying/selling/riding these since the first ones came out.
Now where there might be a little truth to the repaint and sell were possibly the black SS’s.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Well the superlights did exist in the trim mentioned just not officially brought to the US of A. I have seen them posted up plenty from England and my first thought was forgery's but on further reading I realized it was just a different trim level country to country. I would not be surprised one bit if a dealer (or buyer) brought in some gray market bikes to capitalize on the successes of the us model superlight sales (and resale). I wonder if they were equally surprised when the bikes showed up missing most of what made the superlight special , the wheels.

On painting bikes , No doubt this happened as the dealer I worked for often swapped bodywork or had bikes painted before they were sold. I remember a 620SSie that changed colors probably 3 times trying to find it a home. Others were painted as part of the deal to sell the bike. Smartest thing to do was when a customer bought a 98 FE model and swapped all the bodywork so he had the red Ducati he preferred but still had the zero mile original bodywork to make the limited edition bike correct at some point down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts