Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing a new bushings, seals, and oil in my right fork for the first time, I was proud as punch.

Why oh why couldn't the left be as simple...

After getting all the new parts and oil in, I started compressing the slider using my new RaceTech tool.

But the damper rod compressed along with the spring.

I thought, "It can't be getting hung up on anything in there..."

But I drained it and shot the photo, attached.

What the heck is that white star-shaped thing attached to the damper rod that's only 8" or so down from the top of the slider?

It's not supposed to be there, is it.

Help.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
it's the hydraulic bump stop - as it comes down on top of the cartridge it traps oil which slows the whole thing down so the fork doesn't compress with a think.

some of the racetech recommended springs are too small on the id.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that explanation.

To be clear, I don't have RaceTech springs... just using their compression tool.

Why can't I find it that bump stop anywhere on the exploded diagrams?

But my real problem is... I don't know how to get this fork put back together...

When I attempt to compress the spring with the slider on, and a piece of wire looped around the top nut of the damper rod to keep it pulled up, the damper rod get's pushed down...

I mean... I got it all apart easily. Not sure what I'm doing wrong if that hydraulic bump stop is correct and in the right place...

When I use the tool, I was putting A LOT of compression on but that damper rod was NOT coming back up through the slider.

Is this only on the left fork???

Thanks for your patience with me. This is befuddling. I was thinking I'd need to try to pull the damper rod...

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
both forks. dunno. if you screw the tool pins that go into the holes in the preload tube in too far that can stop the damper rod coming up. but you're doing something wrong. spring in, preload tube in, pull damper rod up, slide in plate to hold damper rod up, fit cap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeppers... that's what I did on the other side :) Slip the spring in after 1/2 of the fresh oil was pumped through the valves, slide the slider over the damping rod, pull up on the wired damping rod, compress the slider using the tool, put on the cap. Was a thing of beauty.

On this fork, any compression on the slider (preload tube) pushes the damper rod down.

I can make this happen just with my hands, without using the RaceTech compression tool.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh.
Oh my.
Oh my goodness.

:::: runs to find a hole in which to plunge his embarrassed head :::::

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I answered with embarrassment for no reason. When @RockAZ mentioned the metal cup upside down I assume he meant the spring sleeve/slider.

See the photograph from the Haynes manual. I was thinking he meant I put that in upside down. But no, I inserted it with the white plastic part down inside the fork just like its supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Slip the spring in after 1/2 of the fresh oil was pumped through the valves
as an aside, what do you mean by this?

back to the issue - if you drop the preload tube in without the spring will it go all the way to the bottom, or is it getting stuck on the white plastic thingy? is the plastic piece on the bottom of the preload tube not sitting square?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should add that when I disassembled this left fork, there was resistance or friction while removing the slider. I certainly didn’t notice that on the right fork.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,461 Posts
At this point, wouldn't it just be easier to disassemble the fork, inspect, and reassemble it? You're familiar with the process, so it should be fairly quick. You may find your answer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely getting stuck. When I drop it in the top of the slider it’s pretty much even with the inside of the fourth leg. I theorized that the white plastic ring at the bottom is supposed to go around the bump stop down there, which I assume is what you meant by “white plastic thingy.“

I tried to give it a little shove to see if it would clear it but I feared not being able to get it back out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Yorik this is literally my first fork rodeo :)

I was looking for diagrams yesterday to find out what the white plastic star shaped piece on the damper ride is. @belter taught me that it was a hydraulic bump stop.

Since I couldn’t find that anywhere in any drawing the idea of pulling it apart made me apprehensive.

I’m not sure where that bump stop is supposed to go or even how we affixes.

·
10,461 Posts
I really can't tell from your picture, but is the plastic piece the piece I've circled on the picture?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve determined that that piece is roughly 10 inches from the top of the jumping rod, and it spins freely around the damping rod. For what it’s worth…

·
10,461 Posts
So, is it just not seated properly on the cartridge? Can that be the problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's my intuition, @Yorik I just can't say for certain.

Is it designed to just slide down the slender, top portion of the damping rod until it seats?

Or is it more complicated than that?

It sounds like I need to:
  • Remove the axle bolts from the bottom
  • Remove the axle shim so I can have access to the bolt that holds in the damper rod
  • I believe I saw it was a 10mm bolt???
    • Really was trying to avoid having to undo the bottom bolt — I have no idea what Jack In The Box awaits me once I do...
  • Pull the damper and... :::sigh::: explore where / why the bump stop is where it is.
I'm obviously open to wiser, more experienced suggestions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts