Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to say hello and ask my first question.
I have buyed a 800 ss recently with a standard exhaust, and I have seen that left muffler vibrates a little, and there are a little roominess where the muffler enter on the next pipe. I have seen the manual of parts and there aren´t any part that perhaps it isn´t. The right mufler are ok. I believe that it is not possible to be bad mounted because there are only 1 bolt to the rear footpeg so i don´t understand which is the problem. Could anybody help me, thank you very much in advance from Spain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you tightened the bolt that attaches it to the rear foot peg? Is the rear foot peg attached securely to the frame?

Unless I am mistaken, the muffler should have a pair of springs that hold it into the header, are they both there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had the same probs. by playing with the bracket that bolts to the cannister and pushing the whole can as far forward into the collector, you can get it to tighten up.

:think:

a little bit of tinkering and you will see what works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tightened the bolt that attaches it to the rear foot peg? Is the rear foot peg attached securely to the frame?

Unless I am mistaken, the muffler should have a pair of springs that hold it into the header, are they both there?
Yes, the bolt that attaches to rear foot peg are tightened, and the rear foot peg too and my cannister there aren´t any spring to hold to the header and there aren´t any suport to attach it.
Thank you for response.
Regards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the same probs. by playing with the bracket that bolts to the cannister and pushing the whole can as far forward into the collector, you can get it to tighten up.

a little bit of tinkering and you will see what works.

Ok, so there are any probably to play with the bolts that attach the cannister?
Tomorrow I will try to do. thank you very much.
Regards.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My two cents

I don't know if my problem was the same as yours but here is my story...

I bought Ferracci carbon cans for my 900SS and had them put on. I got them from a buddy. Once they were on I had people telling me that my gear shift side can was wiggling a fair amount. I checked it and sure enough, just touch the rear of the can ever so slightly and the whole thing wiggled around like it wasn't tight at all. Thing is, it was, at least where the strap that holds the can up was. The hanger was snugged completely yet it wiggled like crazy. The right side was fine, tight, it was just that one side. When you look closer the problem was centered on where the midpipe slipped into the header. It just didn't have a good fit there. As the pipe wiggled you could see that there was extra room down there. It was a constant annoyance to me because I take pride in my bike and have done a lot to it and every where I went someone was like, "You might want to check that pipe, I think it's loose and is going to fall off."

So, today I was bound and determined to get this square. I took the can off and really checked it out. It just doesn't seem to snug in to the header. It's like the space in the header is wider than the midpipe just enough that it causes the extra wiggle room. My guess is the gauge of the metal on the aftermarket cans is super thin to save weight, thus, when putting it into the stock header it doesn't take up as much room. That's just my thought, probably wrong though.

I got the idea to go to the local auto part store and see what I could find. They have a 'muffler fix' kit available for a few bucks. It's a little kit that contains a strip of super heat resistant material that you use to patch holes on a muffler. It won't catch fire. The kit also comes with other crap you won't need, I just wanted that heat resistant material. I cut a small strip, just wide enough to go around the bottom of the midpipe with no overlap. I then held that piece in place and worked the midpipe into the header. There was some excess sticking out when I was done so I took a knife and trimmed it off. You can't see it at all. I then bolted the can back up and low and behold, no more wiggle. I just needed something to help take up space down there and this worked perfect. Problem solved.

·
Registered
165 Posts
when you loosen the bracket mounted on the actual can, you can twist the whole assembly, then when it kinda 'binds' up into the collecter, tighten it all back up, and there should be no more play.

also, make sure your collector is pushed all the way up into the rear header. mine had slipped down a little, and caused the exhaust to rub the fairing near the little 'vents' by the pipe. i think this also caused a bit of misalignment.

i put a 2x4 under the pipe and kinda pryed it up into the clamp.

:D

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
when you loosen the bracket mounted on the actual can, you can twist the whole assembly, then when it kinda 'binds' up into the collecter, tighten it all back up, and there should be no more play.

also, make sure your collector is pushed all the way up into the rear header. mine had slipped down a little, and caused the exhaust to rub the fairing near the little 'vents' by the pipe. i think this also caused a bit of misalignment.
+1 here My left one was loose too... and it was the only one I had taken off.. so I figured it was something I did... Just loosen the two bolts in the can and first make sure it is all the way seated , then give it a slight twist and tighten it up Viola!

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14:40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15:41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for all your entries, at last, yesterday a could to have time for mi SS. I dismounted all the muffler, loosen the rear footrest and the retighteen all the bolts , and vualaa. The vibration was history.
Thank you very much. Regards.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have discovered that the bracket attaced to the muffler is loose.

I have tried tightening both of the cap screws that hold the bracket to the muffler but they just rotate.

Does anyone know what the cap screws bolt into inside the muffler?

Am I going to have to dissassemble the muffler to fix this problem?

·
Registered
421 Posts
OK so now I have dissassembled the mufflers and I find that on the inside is a flat washer and a separate nylock lock nut. I can't see what would stop this nut simply spinning when you try to tighten the two cap screws that holds on the mounting bracket?

I am guessing this is not the original arrangement? (Someone has been inside these mufflers before. They have definitely been cored).

Anyone got a recommended fix for the rotating nut?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the ie's have a different can, so i don't really know what's going on in yours, but if you were to replace the flat washer and nylock nut with a no friction nut and split lockwasher, you might beable to get the bolt to tighten up enough. i would imagine the locking nut is too much friction, and makes the whole thing rotate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts