Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have made many of rear master cylinder taps years ago and gave them away to the supermoto community for stunting before the dual caliper bracket came to be but I have never used the OX system. The tap works great but you need to install the clip that holds the tap Inside the master in the correct orientation. The clip looks the same on both sides at first glance but one side has a sharp edge. That edge needs to be facing out

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I can make this myself for a few dollars and see if it works.

These are the components I will use and some pics of the mock-up.

Clutch lever and perch
Clutch cable
Cable adjuster to be secured with safety wire on heel guard of passenger peg mount
Cable locks to secure cable end on lever
Clutch lever to be secured with two bolts to existing foot brake lever.

The biggest task will be removing the brake lever to drill two holes to attach the lever extension.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I made a cable actuated left hand rear brake for my kids crf50 mini supermoto very similar to the pics you shared which is also the same ide as the OX . It works fine but not as good as the hydraulic tap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I made a cable actuated left hand rear brake for my kids crf50 mini supermoto very similar to the pics you shared which is also the same ide as the OX . It works fine but not as good as the hydraulic tap.
If I like the basic functionality of the setup, I may look into the available hydraulic versions on the market.

A smaller footprint lever and master with this setup might work well:

https://www.tacticalmindz.com/products/dual-fitting-rear-hand-brake-kit-1

Good information in this thread:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1174226-left-hand-rear-brake/

·
Registered
179 Posts
A raidal/semi radial master cylinder will fit far better than an axial one with the resviour cast into it. I made a hydraulic thumb rear brake and it was very difficult to get used to. I had an old axial master at one point and it made everything not fit nicely then switched to a Yamaha r1/r6 brembo semi radial 16mm master and it worked great ok. Then used a beringer 17mm master then ultimately ended with a megura 13mm master. That had the best power and feel while being able to squeeze it all on the bars.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A raidal/semi radial master cylinder will fit far better than an axial one with the resviour cast into it. I made a hydraulic thumb rear brake and it was very difficult to get used to. I had an old axial master at one point and it made everything not fit nicely then switched to a Yamaha r1/r6 brembo semi radial 16mm master and it worked great ok. Then used a beringer 17mm master then ultimately ended with a megura 13mm master. That had the best power and feel while being able to squeeze it all on the bars.
How would you plumb the setup on the Hypermotard with two brembo masters, levers, and reservoirs on the bars?

Do you have any drawings, pictures?

Could you just put a double banjo on the stock rear brake master and plumb the left hand line banjo with the existing pedal line banjo into the rear brake pedal master? It would require eliminating the lower master reservoir and plugging that opening.

Something like this:

https://www.tacticalmindz.com/collections/gp-tech-handbrake-kits/products/hand-brake-junction-valve-with-line

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just like in that last pic. From tactical mindz. The tap hose in place of the remote reservoir on the foot master. It allows the pressure from the hand master to flow through it while the foot isnt pressed. Then the foot operates normal when the hand isnt pressed. You cant run a dual banjo at the rear master or at the rear caliper. The pressure will just push out the opposite reservoir instead of being applied to the caliper. When any master cylinder is in resting position it has 2 holes open. Those 2 holes keep the master full from the reservoir . When you depress the lever the hole to the reservoir is closed and pressure starts building. The tap allows front/hand pressure to pass through the rear master and pressurize the caliper. This is the only way to run 1 caliper and 2 master cylinders

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I completed the prototype of a mechanical thumb brake setup.

I am waiting on another type of lever that I will fit below the clutch lever, normal mounting position facing forward, for more typical left hand/finger squeeze, brake control such as on a mountain bike.

In the meantime, this setup, while FUGLY, does allow for a touch of rear brake while leaning off the bike away from the foot control, or as a wheelie control option.

Road test will occur after I have a better hand lever installed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those are the taps I mentioned in my first response. I made a bunch of these years ago. Your line will need to be long(they all are for this application). 13mm is the ideal size master. As I stated before I tried 16, 13, 17 etc and 13 is the sweet spot. Megura hc1 in a 13mm is the norm for this. They are about $200 new. The HC1 is designed to be used on the left as a hand brake. It is also radial design so you will be able to fit it all on the bars easier. The $60 "kit"is usually just the tap and seal from this site. You need to buy the line and master cylinder.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are the taps I mentioned in my first response. I made a bunch of these years ago. Your line will need to be long(they all are for this application). 13mm is the ideal size master. As I stated before I tried 16, 13, 17 etc and 13 is the sweet spot. Megura hc1 in a 13mm is the norm for this. They are about $200 new. The HC1 is designed to be used on the left as a hand brake. It is also radial design so you will be able to fit it all on the bars easier. The $60 "kit"is usually just the tap and seal from this site. You need to buy the line and master cylinder.
Great advice, thank you. Took me a while to understand all the issues involved, but I think I got it now.

I reached out to two vendors who put complete kits together using the components you recommend as well. The Megura 13mm HC1, tap and seal for the rear master reservoir port, and appropriate brake lines. I will see who offers the best value and give it a go.

The HHD Rear Hand Brake Fitting (Must Select Red or Green in Order Options) - $60.00 : HoHey Designs, Custom and Factory Parts for stunt bikes

https://www.tacticalmindz.com/products/dual-fitting-rear-hand-brake-kit-1?variant=22329153605

·
Registered
179 Posts
You wont be happy with that axial mount master cylinder in that kit. You would be very happy with the magura hc1 on Amazon. The 13mm is what you want. If you want to go less expensive these are a couple hood options .

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Left Hand Rear Brake in Action.

Look closely at the left fingers on the left hand shorty lever.

Holding a whisper of rear brake trail braking after the release of front brake trail braking, slightly past the apex, making sure direction line on exit with throttle roll on is as desired.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts