Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this before? My left grip now has about 3/8ths or 5mm movement back and forward. Left throttle anyone?

All jokes aside its only just occured. If you peel the rubber back there's a Phillips head inside.

This now has no purchase inside the tube. Ive tried tightening it to no avail. Looks stripped.

Any ideas anyone? I'm not going to get some catastrophic left grip "spin" am I?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sounds stripped.

Is the screw stripped (should be visibly damaged threads)?
If so, just replace it with a countersunk (v type head) screw and lock-tite it in.

It it looks like the thread in the bar is stripped, you could use a slightly bigger screw and tap out the hole to the new size. You may need to use a countersink to enlarge the countersunk part in the plastic grip tube, but try it first.

If you want the el-cheapo, easy fix. Remove the grip tube and use a few dabs of silicone under the grip tube. Not too much to make it really hard to move but a little at both ends refit, lock-tite in the screw and leave overnight will stop the wobble.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the quick repsonse champ.

No, the screw isn't stripped. After peeking into the hole it looks like the "thread" in the bars is stripped. All shiny alloy with no "threads" to speak of...hhmmmm

This little "self-tapper" was the original "screw" in there. Just spun-no purchase.

I found a normal 8mm (length) Phillips (the one in the original pic) and despite gettiing a tad more bite, still the same. The hole in the bar bar is probably slightly too reamed.

You could tap it bigger but there is no way you could counter-sink anything into the delicate plastic. It'd crack it.

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Larger screw with locktite, the silicone under the grip sounds like a good idea. My grip wobbled for months until I finally tightened the screw down with some locktite. As long as you have something anchored into the bar, you won't get a spinning grip.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sounds like whoever fitted the grip used the "tighten it 'til it strips and back it off 1/4 turn". :)

FYI, my left grip also had a little movement even thought the screw was fine and the silicone works well for me.

The other option is of course to simply rotate the grip a little and drill a new pilot hole if you want.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A big shout to you all for your responses. Very very much appreciated.

What did we do without these sites?

Ive booked her in for her first service next week so i'll let the tech sort it also mentioning these suggestions, rather than me have a lash just now.

Off grip topic; if anyone wants to ask me how good Quat-D pipes are mated with FatDucs & DP air filter I'm your man.

TimOz; will I be seeing you at the Multistrada Experience on the 25th?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi MJW,
Sorry. Those meet up things are not my cup of beer. I an not that social and my leathers are not coloured and they don't smell like cologne. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts