Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ball bearing set mounted in the alternator cover seemed to be making noise. I pulled the cover and there is indeed a "catch" when I rotate the bearing with my finger.

Problem: So far, I can't get it out. Driving it inwards from the outside with a hammer and a 17mm socket held against the inner race has no effect. The access hole is too small to push against the outer race, so I'm afraid I'll pound out the inner parts, leaving the outer firmly stuck to the cover or crack the cover itself.

Any suggestions?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Mine came out easy, so not much help there except maybe try a heat gun.

When you get the new bearing from Ducati you will notice there is a clear plastic seal on one side, no seal on the other side. As odd as it sounds, the seal side goes in facing the engine. If you put it in so the seal faces out, it will not be properly lubed.

Reactions: HiFlite

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed

To close this thread, heat worked, to a point. Using a heat gun, I could pound it out.

A 1/2" drive 1" socket was a perfect match to the outer race, but even with heat, I could not drive the new one in. The bearing wanted to cock before it started in to the case. The hole was ever so slightly oblong, it hung on the same two sides no matter how I tried to compensate for it.

So, I bought a slide hammer. The 3 prong one shown above is too big to fit, so I got a much more expensive one that uses expanding collets, which also allows a firmer grasp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hammer-and-bearing-puller-set-5-pc-62601.html

I still couldn't get it in, so instead of using a heat gun, I put the assembly in a closed top grill and heated to 250 deg F, afraid to go my higher to avoid damaging the alternator wiring. Then, with the slide hammer, I managed to get it 1/2 inserted before it cooled too much to go further in. Heat again, pound some more.

It finally went all the way in, I hope, shaving tiny slivers of aluminum in the process. Why this was so difficult, I'm not sure, but think that the hole in the case cover was either machined incorrectly or the case warped some over its 20 years. Hopefully it's fully seated and properly aligned. At least so far, it's considerably quieter than the old one.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Next time as well as heating the outer, put the bearing in the freezer. It should then just drop in.
By the way getting blind bearings out can easily be done firstly by cutting the inner section with a dremil using those fine cutting wheels.[Wear eye protection.] Then run a small bead of weld round the inside of the outer bearing cup. This will shrink it so it drops out.
Obviously you have to be VERY careful with the welder and of course disconnect the battery first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts