Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the front "parking" lights with LED bulbs? I tried yesterday but was unsuccessful. The OEM bulbs appear to be held in place by the friction between the rubber socket and the surface of the glass bulb. No matter what I did, the LED bulb kept sliding back out of the socket since the base of the LED bulb is plastic. I tried squeezing the terminals together in the socket but that did not solve the problem.

Nick

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I tried to replace the license plate light with a 194 bulb but some of them were too long to fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, I replaced the parking light bulb on my 2000 ST2 when I upgraded to Cyclops Adventure Sports LED headlight "bulbs" - I had done this previously to a BMW R1200GS.

I bought two styles;

amazon.com S&D T10 13 SMD 5050 License Plate Pure White 194 W5W LED

amazon.com 2 pcs No Error CANBUS T10 147 168 194 W5W 5 SMD LED

The larger one was too large, and would droop while I was doing a trial fit so I expect it would have fallen out sooner or later. The smaller one fit fine - and makes a good amount of light. Plus I had another when it came to the Duc.

I did have to make sure they were fully seated in the socket - and if you put them in "backwards" they fit but do not light (wrong polarity), so it's good to check while all is apart. In both cases I had headlight housings out, so this was very easy. Still have to plug in the rubber holder once the housing is reinstalled, but easy to make sure LED is seated/installed properly.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I got mine from a local auto parts store, don't remember which one but all my bulbs are led and have had no issues.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Has anyone replaced the front "parking" lights with LED bulbs? I tried yesterday but was unsuccessful. The OEM bulbs appear to be held in place by the friction between the rubber socket and the surface of the glass bulb. No matter what I did, the LED bulb kept sliding back out of the socket since the base of the LED bulb is plastic. I tried squeezing the terminals together in the socket but that did not solve the problem.

Nick
I replaced the parking bulbs and license bulb with Philips 194. The license one seems a bit long, but they all work perfectly. A bit more expensive than some, but they fit my ST3 bulb holders perfectly.
Philips seems to have 2 styles of 194. One only emits light pointing out the end on the bulb, but the other emits out the sides as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Bright-White-Interior-Vision/dp/B017VORB7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468276299&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+led+194

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
This seems like a great, low cost upgrade. Would also help my battery not drain as fast when we are parked downtown at night!

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I replaced the parking bulbs and license bulb with Philips 194. The license one seems a bit long, but they all work perfectly. A bit more expensive than some, but they fit my ST3 bulb holders perfectly.
Philips seems to have 2 styles of 194. One only emits light pointing out the end on the bulb, but the other emits out the sides as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Bright-White-Interior-Vision/dp/B017VORB7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468276299&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+led+194

David
I just installed one of these. Fits and holds great. Looks WAY better next to my HID bulbs than that incandescent bulb did. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I also installed a Philips stop/tail bulb. Even though it is a red bulb it gives good light, and there is quite a difference between just the tail light and tail plus brake (some cheaper ones make it tough to tell when the brake light is on as the tail light is too bright)

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts