Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my review on Led headlight bulbs, and DIY on Led headlight upgrade on a Ducati Hypermotard. I have no affiliation with any company, I'm simply providing my feedback based on my experience testing various Led bulbs while focusing on the one I chose to install as a part of the DIY. I have previously made lengthy reviews, but I'm going to keep this short and to the point. I had the opportunity to test the latest OPT7 and Kensun Led kits, while both performed well with minor issues, neither compared when it came to the output of this Starnill kit, which is why I picked this kit and send the other two back due to some quality control issues without getting into details. Current draw at 12V is shown between oem and Starnill, not only is the led current draw lower, the light output itself is astonishingly brighter and obvious compared to oem. Starnill is the only kit that has a true 360 degree output compared to competitors and this is a big factor since they all claim the same output. Each side of the led is capable of outputting light at 120 degrees, which is the maximum any pcb led is capable of according to datasheets, the competitors advertising full 360 output is misleading and false. Color is advertised as 6k but it is very subjective and I feel it is closer to 5-5500k. Lumen output is also very subjective as most manufacturers always overrate their kits since there is no formal industry standard way to easily measure lumens, however, by far, Starnill compared to the competitors is the brightest and clear winner. I have also tested quite a few HID kits and use them in my own vehicles and motorcycles, compared to HID, Led is the way of the future and as they continue to improve in terms of reliability there is no reason not to convert. The jury is still out on how long this kit will last, judging by the quality and the design (COB) chip on board this kit should last a long time if quality IC components are used. The only con if there is one is the size of the bulb compared to OEM as you can see from the pictures, this can be a problem on some vehicles and motorcycles.

Fortunately modding the Ducati Hypermotard is very simple and painless, using a 2" Holesaw cut out the back cover and cut out a notch for the Starnill led wire harness. Use a flat head screw driver to pop out the spade connectors out of the plastic housing and use a hot knife or dremel to create a small hole to pull those spade connectors out of the main housing away from the aluminum heat sink. I used a little RTV to seal up the hole and connected the spade connectors to the Starnill plug and play connector. I used some heat shrink as well as some kapton tape to clean up the wiring. I also made some small notches in the front stay which is optional, but it helps hide the wires a little and makes install a little easier. I put some 3M double side sticky tap on the back of the micro control driver housing and used a zip tie for added insurance to keep it secure. The fan noise is minimal and not noticeable at all with the bike turned on. I will update this review as time goes on to report back on any failure. Overall very pleased with the Starnill kit and would recommend it to anyone looking to make the upgrade to led headlights.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good write up! I actually just put the same exact kit on my 999 and tried it out at around 11:30pm when I rode to work. Definitely an improvement over stock. It lights up really far down but the spread from side to side isn't as good as HID's. However they are better than HID's in every other way though. With HID's I always hated having to let the high beam warm up when I only needed the high beam for a few seconds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice bike and good choice on the Led lights. I suspect the lateral emissions has to to with the projectors and the style of the Led bulb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts