Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am looking to change my headlight bulb on the 749 to LED, I bought the Kensun bulbs but they are too large and the cluster wont fit in place, is anybody using leds at the moment and if so which ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't, but from the little research I did, it seemed as if any of the LED bulbs out (when I had a look) may have had issues with providing a light source close enough to the correct focal point for a reflector designed to take a halogen bulb...
Curious to see if anybody has had any success, though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't, but from the little research I did, it seemed as if any of the LED bulbs out (when I had a look) may have had issues with providing a light source close enough to the correct focal point for a reflector designed to take a halogen bulb...
Curious to see if anybody has had any success, though.
Well my halogen is shitty as hell as well ... so LED shouldn't be too bad. Would be nice if someone chimed with which bulb worked for them. I can't believe nobody has LED in their 749. Someone has to.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
dont waste your time with leds in the stock reflector. hid is the only way to go. do some reading on automotive lighting and reflector design. it will enLIGHTen you. the best you can do is some how use two 2012 r1 hi-low projector lights. they are bloody fantastic. two low beams' two high beams.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont waste your time with leds in the stock reflector. hid is the only way to go. do some reading on automotive lighting and reflector design. it will enLIGHTen you. the best you can do is some how use two 2012 r1 hi-low projector lights. they are bloody fantastic. two low beams' two high beams.
Yeah that would be awesome, I still want some LEDs thought lol.
Have you actually heard of anyone retrofitting the r1 projectors into a 749?

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Minimoto isn't a sealed unit. It works in the 848-1098-1198 as it sits in an encapsulated unit. The 749-999 projector is a sealed unit so the refit won't stand up to water and dirt. There are some sealed bi-xenon projectors from China that would/should work at a tenth of the price of R1 units.
I'm at a bit of a loss at to why lightning needs to be so electricity complex. All that price and complexity for bugger-all (Aussie expansion) more.
One of my other bikes is a 1992 gsxr750 m fitted with a 1100 engine. It weighs 189kg wringing wet. Has a wiring harness as thick as your little finger, 165 rear wheel hp and trouble free carbies. It does everything a current model bike does for a billionth less complexity. End of rant:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts