Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did anyone see this?
Matt is working on a LED headlight kit that will fit the Sport Classic

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/142217-led-headlight-kit-early-monsters.html

The light output/ pattern is awesome. The headlight looks very nice as well and can be used with the existing bucket when used with his adapter kit.

The Ducati bucket is about 8" and this headlight is 7". He is making an adapter ring to fit this headlight.

-M

·
Registered
846 Posts
hadnt seen that post, but looks excellent. if the fit and finish is right, im definitely in.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
<thinking out loud>Though cost is a definite factor for me, how would it be in terms of power consumption -- more, equal, less than stock? Though brightness needs to be equal to or greater than stock, beam spread is very important. Brightness doesn't mean much when it's all hither and yon.

Not really crazy about the split headlight. Interested in the outcome of this nonetheless, I think the technology is cool. My brake and parking lights are LED so it's not like I'm opposed to it at all.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Cost is a big factor for me, too. But if the price is right, I'd definitely be into this.

I've never been happy with the output of the stock lamp, and after having blinkers burn out at random in the middle of nowhere and my tail light burn out at night, in the rain, leaving me nearly invisible to approaching traffic, I feel like upgrading to LEDs is a worthwhile safety investment, too.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
Any reason why the LEDs would be better than an HID setup? HID would be brighter, I'd think, even if the LEDs draw less... Always nice to have options!

I agree with above though; not a fan of the split headlight.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I don't know where automotive lights stand, but in the technical diving world efficiency and beam quality are very important for primary dive lights, which generally cost over 1000.00 and are evolving continuously.

HID has been the gold standard for a long time, mainly due to it's superior efficiency, output and whiter colour when compared to halogen. Common intensities range from 10 to 50w (which are similar to halogens of more than double the same wattage). It's only negatives have been heat generation (they shouldn't be used out of water) and durability.

LED lights have been available on the market for some time. LEDs running the lower wattages can often use a single, efficient emitter (bulb) which is considerably more efficient than HID, extremely durable, long lasting and reasonably affordable. However as the wattage increases past 10w the current emitters start to become less efficient (sometimes not even as efficient as HID) and are very expensive. Some manufactures are using emitter arrays (several bulbs to make one light) however the light beams are usually not as consistent. There is no doubt in diving that LED is the future, however for some of the higher output applications, divers still choose HID.

For bikes (based on my knowledge of diving parts), I think we would be looking for at least a 30w HID / LED solution, so I believe it would either be a very costly bulb, or multi-emmiter array. If the a multi-emmiter bulb was designed good using higher quality emitters then it should be more efficient than an HID at the same wattage and last a lifetime. The emitters for a bulb like this would probably be around $500.00 currently, but this technology is advancing daily (the same parts would have been double a few years ago and unobtainable a few years before that).

FYI - The 1199S LED headlight costs around $1400.00!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wonder if we could use the forthcoming adapter ring to fit an existing 7" LED light, like this one:

It would get rid of the split headlight that, while completely appropriate for the Monster, wouldn't look quite right on the SC line.

6,048 Posts
We have adapter rings already and most 7" lights will fit them
Shown here Anodized GOLD in this set up with the PIAA Halo Lamp

we are also fitting the LED headlights Kuryakyn 2249 as well as Halo's with this Adapter ring

and the NEW Halo/Angel eyes coming soon

I think the technology is finally coming around
the cost seems a little high in comparison to bulbs.
It look like a "Bright Future" for headlights
:cool:

I wonder if we could use the forthcoming adapter ring to fit an existing 7" LED light, like this one: Kuryakyn Phase 6 High Intensity Plus 7" L.E.D Headlamp 2261 : Amazon.com : Automotive

It would get rid of the split headlight that, while completely appropriate for the Monster, wouldn't look quite right on the SC line.

6,048 Posts
and the new HALO sown in Split

and the Angels edge
can be made to work as turn signals

Both comes with remotes so you can turn On/Off and make it Breathe/Flash

Shown here Anodized GOLD in this set up with the PIAA Halo Lamp

we are also fitting the LED headlights Kuryakyn 2249 as well as Halo's with this Adapter ring

and the NEW Halo/Angel eyes coming soon

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
and the new HALO sown in Split

and the Angels edge
can be made to work as turn signals

Both comes with remotes so you can turn On/Off and make it Breathe/Flash
Who ever thought of putting the turn signal RIGHT NEXT TO THE HEADLIGHT is a moron. Period. The same goes for cars that already do this. That location makes it difficult to see the signal, if at all. And you know some clown is going to use that ring for their turn signals and remove the standard ones. Just a bad idea in my opinion.

6,048 Posts
Harsh:D
I think most HD Cruiser/Bagger guys like this idea of turns in the headlights
in any case it's just a option.
I prefer to use the breathing or flashing intervals to increase visibility

Who ever thought of putting the turn signal RIGHT NEXT TO THE HEADLIGHT is a moron. Period. The same goes for cars that already do this. That location makes it difficult to see the signal, if at all. And you know some clown is going to use that ring for their turn signals and remove the standard ones. Just a bad idea in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts

"Just when I think I'm done, you pull me back in!" Ah, another mod for the GT :D.

ps. Any word on the run of Ohlins fork kits? I know, I know, different thread ;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No, not Period. Using these alone, in lieu of other turn signals, is moronic. But use in addition to more traditional signals would improve visibility, especially from oncoming vehicles, who might wish to turn left in front of you, and look really cool to boot.

These are going on my SC wish list.

·
Registered
846 Posts
moto, what's the hang up with the plastic bucket? won't clip to the adapter?

also any thoughts as to what might be the best route to make this work? is the monster bucket identical to the one on the GT?

i'm hoping to add watsen indicators soon and would prefer not to switch to a bucket that would require a different mount.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

also any thoughts as to what might be the best route to make this work? is the monster bucket identical to the one on the GT?

i'm hoping to add watsen indicators soon and would prefer not to switch to a bucket that would require a different mount.
Contact [email protected] for the full scoop-- but I thought he said it was a different size.

The early Monsters used steel buckets--they will work.

-M

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts

The GT1000 headlight bucket doesn't use clips. It has three screw mounts instead. I tried to use Motowheels adapter ring kit for my GT but it didn't work. MW gave a refund because their kit is designed for Monsters and 2006 SC Monos (which use the Monster, clip-style headlight).

MW may have something else for the GT by now though. Doesn't hurt to ask them.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
846 Posts
The GT1000 headlight bucket doesn't use clips. It has three screw mounts instead. I tried to use Motowheels adapter ring kit for my GT but it didn't work. MW gave a refund because their kit is designed for Monsters and 2006 SC Monos (which use the Monster, clip-style headlight).

MW may have something else for the GT by now though. Doesn't hurt to ask them.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

is this something that just needs a bit of modding? like take the MW adapter and maybe drill holes and tap them to match the three screws?

i'm tempted to run a different bucket but want to keep the original mount -- wonder if shimming it would look ridiculous. the LED headlights themselves arent that expensive, but making everyone play nice sure seems a PIA.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
is this something that just needs a bit of modding? like take the MW adapter and maybe drill holes and tap them to match the three screws?

i'm tempted to run a different bucket but want to keep the original mount -- wonder if shimming it would look ridiculous. the LED headlights themselves arent that expensive, but making everyone play nice sure seems a PIA.
No, the headlight ring (chrome) is also slightly smaller on a GT than the Monsters/Sport1000 Monos. Ask me how I know:)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts