Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Monster folk! Just thought I would drop this here for those of you looking for something special for your Monster. Just in time for the Holidays too! >:)

This all started way back in June/July. I own a 2010 Thruxton and came across a killer looking headlight on T-Rat for it. I called Brad @ Motodemic about it, being more interested at the time as to whether this would fit my S4RS since it had a "quote" 7" headlight.

Of course this was not his primary focus at the moment but right away he was eager to know for himself. And before I knew what hit me, he was ready to pack up his gear and drive 2 hours to my place so he could take measurements on the Monster!!

Well, that and bring me one of his setups for my Thruxton while we were at it... :wink2:

The headlight didn't work at that point for the Monster but at least it was ready to go in the Thrux and Brad was determined to get it sorted out so it would work for the Monster.

Fast forward several months to a few weeks ago and VOILA!! We have lift off! :grin2:

Now on to the really good sh*t!! The headlight is absolutely stunning. He has designed & CNC'd from scratch a mounting ring to work with the stock headlight bucket ring so it bolts rights up. It is super clean and looks like it belongs there!!

The light output is insane! Even if you don't ride at night, this thing stops the stoopids dead in their tracks. I haven't had one idiot yet, cut me off, turn in front of me etc etc....

Seriously, there is no doubt about this headlight in any way. If you are on the fence about an LED Projector upgrade, get the h3ll off and get one of these!!

The adapter rings are available in the black powder coat you see in my pics and in raw finish (aluminum).

Pics for your drooling pleasure:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I think they are absolutely great but Motowheels has been selling them for quite a while.
It is one of the most cost-effective upgrades one can make to these 7" (or so) Monsters.
-Good lookin' bike. Gotta love the RS'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello

I think they are absolutely great but Motowheels has been selling them for quite a while.
It is one of the most cost-effective upgrades one can make to these 7" (or so) Monsters.
Completely different units.... the Motowheels unit is made by Trucklight. This is a 2nd generation unit by JW Speaker. No comparison IMHO. But yes, you have options.... :smile2:

I DIG my RS! Bought it new and have never even thought once of replacing it with anything....

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
8->7 converter

I'm a fabricator. I designed and 3 printed a two piece ABS conversion ring that adapts 7" units to the 8" factory shell on my 2001 Monster S4. Takes a few hours unattended to print. Very strong and light. Looks better than stock. Took apart after 6 months, no deflection or problems with using the original clips. I was going to mill the parts but there turned out to be no reason to. I may eventually put in an LED headlight conversion bulb. They are about $50/pr on EBay. I know for a fact the cops in my town are all over the $300+ multi-bulb conversion lenses and the HID kits so I wanted to look stock with a dirt cheap 7" factory style lens. I'm too cheap to even buy the $145 EBay BMW part number 8" lens.

Attachments

·
Smut peddler
1,088 Posts
Hmm, guessing there's a supporting vendor issue here, eh?:surprise:

·
Smut peddler
1,088 Posts
Apparently so.. Not sure why either as we are working with VerticalScope to add Ducati.ms to our account.
Well, get on it. Jackie thinks you make some sweet shit, and needs a new deer shiner for his 1100.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I have been doing this for about 2 years for the sport classic

Same headlight

The adapter ring is billet and comes in Silver or Black
Cost of the headlight conversion is $550.
Choices are Send in your unit and get it converted
Totally plug and play

The conversion is not invasive and nothing gets cut or modified.*
The LED system fits in to the stock ring with our special adapter ring and clips
You can return to stock the headlight very easily.

If you want a complete headlight ready to install it would be*
$850 for the Stock OEM Plastic type headlight assembly
or
$959 for the metal headlight assembly from the 2006 model SC or earlier monsters

If you want the outer headlight ring Blacked out there will be additional cost of around $100 for the Powdercoating
If you want the bucket to match it would be $75
Special Adapter ring color aside from the Silver or Black is $80 extra*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello
We took an entirely different approach to how the adapter installs (no more spring clips) and focused on a streamlined fit and finish. We've also developed a simple drop in option for the plastic bucket Monster/SportClassic TYC headlights.

Here are some more photos to add to what hypurone shared.

I'm a fabricator. I designed and 3 printed a two piece ABS conversion ring that adapts 7" units to the 8" factory shell on my 2001 Monster S4. Takes a few hours unattended to print. Very strong and light. Looks better than stock. Took apart after 6 months, no deflection or problems with using the original clips. I was going to mill the parts but there turned out to be no reason to. I may eventually put in an LED headlight conversion bulb. They are about $50/pr on EBay. I know for a fact the cops in my town are all over the $300+ multi-bulb conversion lenses and the HID kits so I wanted to look stock with a dirt cheap 7" factory style lens. I'm too cheap to even buy the $145 EBay BMW part number 8" lens.
Nice work! We also use a 3D printer for in house rapid prototyping.

FYI - LED bulb upgrades in a halogen housing may be more "illegal" in your area than you think, check your local laws. Our LED units are DOT approved and perfectly legal for road and highway use.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
I dont see the conflict.
Even if a supporting vendor offers an item for sale, members are free to post pictures and shout out for other manufacturers that they have used.
We have several supporting vendors that offer parts and solutions also offered by other vendors.
Both vendors here have a solution. They are diffrent from each other in small, but meaningful, ways.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont see the conflict.
Even if a supporting vendor offers an item for sale, members are free to post pictures and shout out for other manufacturers that they have used.
We have several supporting vendors that offer parts and solutions also offered by other vendors.
Both vendors here have a solution. They are diffrent from each other in small, but meaningful, ways.
I imagine JACKIE TREEHORN post that in response to a couple of our earlier posts being deleted. Someone had an itchy admin finger...

·
Registered
19 Posts
...and someone was posting like they were a Vendor when, in fact, they weren't yet. :cool:
Guess we know who it was. :think: Great way to treat a new Vendor... smh

We have multiple accounts with VS and know the rules well, nothing that we post was spam or outside of the rules. No point in beating a dead horse here so back to our previously scheduled program.

Here is a comparison photo of the stock (Bosch) vs LED Evo 2 used in our drop-in upgrade. All photos were taken in the most controlled, natural, environment we have available to us. Shot with the camera in full manual and RAW. All received identical white balance correction based off of a certified neutral grey card.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Guess we know who it was. :think: Great way to treat a new Vendor... smh
We have multiple accounts with VS and know the rules well, nothing that we post was spam or outside of the rules. No point in beating a dead horse here so back to our previously scheduled program.
Cheap shot at chuck in particular and us admins/moderators in general. If you where not a vendor at the time, we deleted the posts. As per the rules.
You clearly read them, looking at your comment. So the horse is dead because you beat it, not us. case closed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheap shot at chuck in particular and us admins/moderators in general. If you where not a vendor at the time, we deleted the posts. As per the rules.
You clearly read them, looking at your comment. So the horse is dead because you beat it, not us. case closed.
Whoa.. This is getting way misunderstood. No ill intentions were meant here.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm not a vendor of the set I made. I simply made it for my monster that was a totaled bike after seeing a gravel ditch at 80mph, down from the 130 a friend of mines kid was going when he saw the corner coming. The radiator was the most expensive part for me to replace. Tires next. I ended up with about $700 in the bike with some paint work to do on the tank and fiberglass pieces since the bike was an insurance deal by crazy insurance company at < $100 and included unscathed Ferracci exhaust, intake and a Power Commander and runs amazingly well. ( I didn't think it could get better but after a valve adjust and swapping the OEM temp sensor for a NAPA one, it is somehow lifted the bar amore) Beside the radiator, it was primarily cosmetic damage. I performed a major service since the bike was at 12K miles and that added a couple of current OEM rocker arms off EBay and a shim kit so I have < $1200 in the bike and I have done a lot of paint work, so that's maybe another $100 in materials. I was however, left with a broken headlight sense though the housing was not even scratched. Hence, I bought a pair of Korean made knock offs in 7" with the bulbs for $31 total with shipping. Definitely not DOT but in quality indistinguishable from the original 8". There are no inspections in my state. However, I determined after quite a bit of research that there is no actual proof of a citation being written in any state for a non-dot bulb. There are anecdotal claims in blogs but after calling 15 state highway departments that all said they had never required any motorcycle to be disassembled to see if the headlight lens or bulb were DOT, I gave up. I also challenged the EBay 8" BMW sellers to provide any proof that anyone had ever been cited and they admitted they had none even thought their ad contains a threat about buying non-DOT. I talked with the feds. They said that the process is more OEM manufacturer related and actually more of a pay the fee for approval than anything else. They said they do not even look into aftermarket manufacturers and never approach venders at all. Sometimes, I'm a bit anal in my curiosity. Anyway, I'm not a vendor. I could even be talked into printing a few for free if someone was persuasive enough and my printer was free. I don't typically give up my printer files or CAD programs to strangers due to liability concerns for my business, which has nothing to do with motorcycles at this time. Personally, I like the original look and the light in use at night is at least as good as the original but I imagine the newer tech looking units shown above are better light sources. You should definitely go that route if you can afford it and don't mind a more modern appearance. .... stay out of the ditches...jeff

·
Smut peddler
1,088 Posts
Whoa.. This is getting way misunderstood. No ill intentions were meant here.
Eh, screw em. These moderators need to be put in their place from time to time. The asylum works better when the inmates are running it I say. :grin2:

Nice product, we might become friends soon. I sleep in the nude, btw. Just a heads up in case a sleep over arises.

Reactions: motodemic

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts