Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95ss sp, replacing the headlight bulb with a slightly brighter, less yellow one. When switching it out I found that my H4 connector was super melted and messed up - did a little search and found that this was not too uncommon.

I hunted around some more and saw posts about replacing headlight wiring with larger stuff to carry the load properly. That'll be this weekend's project.

I am wondering - there are some super bright LEDs out there now, easily bright enough to work in a motorcycle application. Why no H4 drop in replacement? Don't want to replace my reflector or change the look of my bike, or to blind anybody with an illegally bright headlight, just want more light for less electrical power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It won't work. Incandescent bulbs have a filament that must be the correct length and located exactly right (within .5mm or so) in order to get the proper lighting pattern. Incandescent bulbs also radiate equally, so in the case of your headlight, they use a parabolic reflector to gather much of this light and focus it on the lens. An LED emits light at most over a 180 degree range, does so in a square pattern, and except for multi emitter units do not emit enough light. The optics and setup are completely different so they cannot be interchanged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hid

I just did a HID conversion a BMW K100RS with a H4 bulb. I purchased the kit from Road Rider in San Jose, http://www.roadridermca.com/ , and it made a world of difference in the light. The kit for a H4 only draws about 35 watts on the HID side. The high beam is a little wacked as they use a halogen bulb for the high beam placed above the HID bulb and as the in a previous post it is not in the correct location to project the correct light pattern. So far I have not used the high beam as the low beam is so effective now there has not been a need to use the high beam. The lower current draw is easier on the stock wiring and doesn't generate the heat to melt the connectors. Even the BMW's are pretty weak wiring wise for the headlamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts