Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped out the bulbs in their gauge cluster with a LED variety? I find it pretty difficult to see any of the indicator lights during the day and I know if some sort of LED swap was possible it would be substantially brighter. If anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did it on my 99 900SSie.Definetly brighter.But if you change the bulbs for your turn signal indicators and low fuel light they will not work.LEDS are polarity sensitive.The low fuel light for some reason always glowed ond mine.
Regards Bill

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it on my 99 900SSie.Definetly brighter.But if you change the bulbs for your turn signal indicators and low fuel light they will not work.LEDS are polarity sensitive.The low fuel light for some reason always glowed ond mine.
Regards Bill
Do you happen to remember the specs for the bulbs? I've been trying to find the type of bulb to no avail. I know the current kind, but I don't know the LED equivalent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll check.I believe they were a 1 watt bulb.I got them in a HID White though there are different colour options.Found them on E Bay

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check.I believe they were a 1 watt bulb.I got them in a HID White though there are different colour options.Found them on E Bay
Alright thanks a lot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
TRY this listing 190348897770.Tese will work onin the warning lights though you should use the #94 bulbs

·
Registered
421 Posts
Did it on my 99 900SSie.Definetly brighter.But if you change the bulbs for your turn signal indicators and low fuel light they will not work.LEDS are polarity sensitive.
Regards Bill
Bill, because the LEDs are polarity sensitive, Can't you just turn the LED replacement bulbs 180 degrees in the fitting?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,If you find they don't light up then definately turn them 180 degrees in the socket.Thats why they would not work for me as a turnsignal indicator because of the polarity switching from the relay.I also found that the led will stay lit using it for the low fuel indicator.Must be a constant low voltage leaking through that isn't enough to light up a filament but is enough to illuminate the led.Couldn't be bothered to check it out because I did find it to be bright enough.Another plus for them is the lower current draw which seems to give a little more reserve to a already taxed charging system.Between the leds(including taillight,license and parking light)and my HID I seem to have quite a bit of more reserve.

·
Registered
421 Posts
TRY this listing 190348897770.Tese will work onin the warning lights though you should use the #94 bulbs
One other question what do you mean by #94 bulbs?

Many thanks in advance.

BTW the reason I want to do this is that I keep forgetting to turn off my indicators and the dash light is so pale I can't see it on sunny days.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As I said I couldn't get them to work for my turn signal indicators as I believe it's the result of the polarity switching from the relay.There are 2 or three different sizes of wedge bulb bases.My mistake,not 94 ,the second larger I believe is the 196 base common to alot of automotive bulbs ie instruments side markers etc.My Ducati has the two smaller T5 for the indicators and some of the 196(I think thats right for the instruments)thiugh I could get the T5 to work with a little blob of silicone to hold them in the larger base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts