Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Depends on how hot.

If you're concerned about it, use an infrared heat gun to see how hot they are getting. Compare the LED temps to the temps of the OEM bulb. I'd imagine they can get pretty hot too. If they are making that much more heat over the OEMs, I'd probably ditch them especially if they don't work all that well. Your dash module is more than just a tach and speedo, I believe the immobilizer is also integrated into that unit. Heat can cause more problems than melting wires in close proximity. The electronics in your dash may also be in danger, but that would depend on the amount of additional heat you're seeing.

I used a bunch of small OEM replacement LED bulbs on my bikes to reduce electrical load. Tach and speedo back lighting, warning lights, license plate light, tail and city lights are all LED and work fine. Not sold on the inexpensive head light kits yet, however. I think the bulbs, like you bought, are meant more for fog or driving lights than as a main beam. If they didn't work better then OEM, I'd personally ditch them until the tech improves for direct retro fit kits.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on how hot.

If you're concerned about it, use an infrared heat gun to see how hot they are getting. Compare the LED temps to the temps of the OEM bulb. I'd imagine they can get pretty hot too. If they are making that much more heat over the OEMs, I'd probably ditch them especially if they don't work all that well. Your dash module is more than just a tach and speedo, I believe the immobilizer is also integrated into that unit. Heat can cause more problems than melting wires in close proximity. The electronics in your dash may also be in danger, but that would depend on the amount of additional heat you're seeing.

I used a bunch of small OEM replacement LED bulbs on my bikes to reduce electrical load. Tach and speedo back lighting, warning lights, license plate light, tail and city lights are all LED and work fine. Not sold on the inexpensive head light kits yet, however. I think the bulbs, like you bought, are meant more for fog or driving lights than as a main beam. If they didn't work better then OEM, I'd personally ditch them until the tech improves for direct retro fit kits.
Yeah you make sense, I was worried about the electronics getting fried as well. I am returning the lights. Going to maybe try one more that has a better fan and see how hot it gets. If it doesn't work I am done with this idea lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts