Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys this may be a screwy thread but I have not seen anything in the Forums regarding Lectron Carbs. I am most likely going to leave my 1991 900ss basically stock--( for now) But I see people talking about Mikuni's -Keihen's etc. and lots of talk about jetting. Now first I have no idea if the Lectrons will work at the angles that our carbs are mounted, But Lectrons do not have jets to change out -just a couple of adjustment screws--in fact you can change all manner of settings while the carbs are mounted and the bike running -I have used these before on my 1972 BMW race bike just to play with ( they are not legal to run in AHRMA) and they seemed to work great. So has anyone here ever tried Lectrons before with any luck? I am all for trying something unusual just to see if it will work, but I dont want to spend the time & $$$ if someone else has already found that this will not work.

Reactions: ifly65

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
The Electrons have been around forever. One thing I think might be in favor of using them on an SS is the fuel pump. I think higher pressure in the fuel line might help this type carburetor perform better. You may want to consider changing the restriction pill in the return line to adjust pressure available at the carbs .

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
get some, fit them and report then we'll all know.

there's a new variant called smart carb too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just think these could be one hell of an option on our bikes, My plan is to contact Lectron next week, the main question I have is -Will they work mounted sideways lol--If they have to be mounted vertically to operate then I am out of luck--but with a constant operating fuel pump they may be fine, But thats for another day--I'll post the answer next week when I find out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe Lectron sponsored Kenny Roberts long ago. In browsing their site, it seems to be devoid of many (if any) street applications, they seem to center on mainly off road stuff. Zero pertaining to Ducati.

I'm wondering if Federal EPA tampering and (quite stringent) California regulations and legalities haven't neutered the street portion of their business. Of course FI rendered the production street bike carburetor obsolete long ago, the march of time and all that.

But still lovin' the simplicity of my carbed mid 90's SS, though.

Subscribed...it'll be interesting reading their response here.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have looked at their website and there is alot of stuff they cant even sell in Ca. --Personally I could give a damn about Ca. I just wish it would fall into the ocean sooner then later lol. But regarding the carbs, I am thinking about performance more then anything not whether it's Eco-friendly --but realize these 900ss carby's dont exactly have a ton of H.P.to start with, I did find a post from a few years ago where one person had used 40mm Dellorto's with good luck but it took him a while to get it dialed in. So If Dellorto's work--why not Lectrons. I already have an email into Lectron to see if the will work properly laying down. If so this may be something for me to try, if they will not work in that position --then maybe I'll do with Dellorto's--(since I have lots of them in stock lol)

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
We fought with those damned Lectrons on dirt bikes back in the '80s.

No jets, just change out the needles when you need to make a major change. And those pricks aren't cheap....or in stock at a dealer.:rolleyes:

Naw, I'll stick with Keihins, Mikunis and Dellortos.

Heck, I'd rather have a pair of Amals than Lectrons.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this I can say --the Lectrons are a damn sight less expensive then the Keihin FSR's & I have used them in the past--they are the cats ass--again the biggest question is going to be if they will work properly at the angle they have to mount. If they will work at those angles --I'll put them up against the Keihins any bloody day--but then this is just something I am pondering for the future. I have Dellorto's, Flat slid Mikuni's -(non-CV) & the stock carbs-I know how these will work--again this post was to see if anyone had tried the Lectrons before--Not to listen to people bitch and moan --& Amals --are you out of your mind--I have bikes that use Amal carbs-& Amal GP carbs -& bikes that run Fischer Amal carbs they are fine for the application they are intended for --but performance aint it.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I just remember replacing pistons in 2 strokes that leaned out because of a lectron. KTM/Penton used them for a couple of years. Cheap round slide Mikunis were the answer. The warranty claims made them dump the lectrons.

Tuning any Dellorto, Keihin or Mikuni is the same basic principal. 3 systems; idle/low, midrange and top end...all separately tunable.

Throw any knowledge you have of that out the window with a lectron and buy some of those $30 lectron fuel rods.

Harley guys always looking for simpler answers buy into simpler carbs. Like tillotsons and lectrons.

Lectrons can be tuned to idle and run wide open easily. Good drag racing carbs.

I know of nobody that has used them on a street bike.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I now have the official answer from Lectron, They said No Joy cant be used laying down--basically a downdraft carb. So I guess when and if I decide to change from stock I'll go with Dellorto's since I have plenty of them sitting on the shelf ( so minimal expense)--would probably start with 38mm and start jetting with stock BMW R90S jetting, should be fairly close since I am leaving the engine stock/

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
If you’re going to the trouble of adapting them, why wouldn’t you go a little bigger, say 40 mm ? You already know that size works well with other carbs on that engine.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just have not gotten around to measuring the intake system on the bike --If it is a 38mm intake system I would rather go with 38mm carbs, if it is larger then I would go with 40mm carbs, I have played with this other times -my race bike is a 1972 BMW R75/5-other people have gone with 38 mill carbs but the intake tract is only 36mm so 38mm is too big--will it work -Yes but I have an advantage in midrange which allows me to pull harder thru the corners and exiting the corners and I give nothing away top end, I compare this to 2 other BMW's that are set up basically the same as mine with one difference--they are both running 38mm carbs-(both Mikuni round slides)-Flat slides are not allowed in AHRMA-I run 36mm Dellortos--and yes I have tried the 38mm Dellorto's and it does not work nearly as well, I am big on not over carbing the bike--Bigger is not always better--(No matter what your wife say's PMSL) --So again I need to do some measuring before I decide which to start with-again I probably have 8 sets of 38mm Dellorto's and I think 4 set's of 40mm Delloroto's so Carbs I got's, --Again this is something I may do and maybe not, I purchased this bike to play with and ride and enjoy, I will never put it on the track I have others for that that handle better and are faster. This is a very early 900ss so I will probably keep it as stock as I can.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with the stock carbs once they’re set up right, if you’re trying to keep it stock.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am probably going to leave it as stock as I can--but being a racer we are always thinking of that next step-whether we make the step or not we are still thinking about it lol

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I’m calling bs. This is why there aren’t many stock Supersports around. The first thing everyone does is modify it ! Just put the stock stuff in a box so you’ll be able to return it to stock some day. Then , a few years down the road you’ll realize the boxes weigh more than your SS does.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope I will most likely leave it as stock as possible --I do vintage restorations on BMW motorcycles, when I do one it is exactly as it was the day it left the factory, thats where the value is--all original and that is something I understand very well--right now the only thing changed from stock --K&N air filter, Carbon SP front mudguard, & Carbon Tech high pipes--and I have the stock piped & ft Mudguard. those 2 items I can change in about 5 min. My Race bike is Very Very far from stock as is my 77 BMW R100SRS but it has over 1 million miles on the clock and everything I have done to it are period correct accessories.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts