Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal. I'm picking up a Ducati 848 in the next couple of weeks. This will be the first fall and winter seasons I don't have access to a garage to keep my bike in during the wet and windy months. Parking is limited to the streets, and after todays 25+ winds and rain, I'm a little worried of the bike getting blown over. I'll have a cover for it when I'm home but thats it.

So, does anyone have any opinions on what to do, or if its likely to get blown over? Am I panicking for no good reason?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
please dont do it, the things that will happen to that bike outside are not worth not paying for some kind of storage. blown over, wind flapping cover and messing up paint, rusting of chain and all bolts.......

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same issue many years ago when living at an apartment. I rented a small storage space (5'x8') in a self-store complex for about $35/mo. I'm not sure how much it is these days but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You'll wish you hadn't. i would try and convince a friend to let you store it. Spend a little cash and build a shed or buy one. U-haul has storage available from 49 dollars a month or so. You could just store it inside for winter- 4 months ($200-to protect your investment). Totally reasonable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment. Theres no space for a shed, and the best I could hope for is to see if the owner would let me park the bike in our little backyard area, which is fenced in. The nearest storage place is 6 blocks away, which means walking to and from it every time I leave for work, come back, etc.

Maybe I'll check out their rates...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would get it stored, especially if you shelled out the cash for an 848.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment.
You better make sure you have good insurance, then. Apartment complexes are probably the place where a bike is most prone to be stolen or F'ed with. The majority of bikes I hear about being stolen are in apartment complexes.

When I was moving and staying in one of those motel apartments while looking for a house, I kept my bike in a storage unit that had video cameras and locked their gates at 11 pm and opened them at 6am. It was MUCH better knowing that my bike was safe and secure than to worry whether my bike would still be there or in one piece in the morning. There is no way I would ever store my bikes outside for any extended length of time.

Here are a few reasons other than theft and vandalism for not storing your bike outside....

1) Corrosion of bare metal parts
2) Corrosion of electrical contacts
3) Moisture in the gas tank
4) Moisture in the crankcase
5) Temp extremes and UV sunlight breaking down rubber and plastic pieces

Tell you the truth, I find it hard to comprehend that someone would be willing to spend that kind of money on a new or newer bike and not have a secure place to store it. They are just far too easy to steal.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
A used enclosed trailer in your parking spot & park the cage on the street. Any one in your complex with a bike too? Share the trailer to offset costs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the same boat however I'm in Canada where it gets to be -30 Celsius sometimes. I managed to wedge my bike into the unheated storage area of my apartment building which is less than ideal but at least it's shelter of some kind. Compared to here, I wouldn't hesitate to leave it outside in California as long as I had a cover for it (which I do).

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Bikes have blown over with covers, they can act like sails, tie-downs for a day like today. Look up indy 08 here for pix.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nothing but apartments all around? Maybe ask a neighbor if you can keep in his garage. Check insurance issues 1st.

If I couldn't store my bike securely, I'd move.

That trailer idea sounds like a good one. You need daily access correct?

A friend of mine lived in a bike friendly complex that allowed everybody to park their rides in the courtyard that was locked to outsiders. Still outside but very secure. Everybody in the complex knew what belonged to whom, it was great. Only rule was "don't fire up the bike while in the courtyard".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the storage place, perhaps you can store your leathers there too and then get a bicycle to get you to and from the place. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't spend this kind of coin for a bike that's going to have to sit outside. Get a KLR650 or something like that until you have access to indoor storage -- a Ducati deserves better.

2006 Ducati ST3s
2006 Ducati Sport 1000
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint

·
Registered
275 Posts
please dont do it, the things that will happen to that bike outside are not worth not paying for some kind of storage. blown over, wind flapping cover and messing up paint, rusting of chain and all bolts.......
Please...Please :D You'll rest much easier and your really looking at a small price to pay for peace of mind ......if you really love a beautiful Italian, it's your duty to treat her well ;) .

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
My bikes have spent most of their lives outside, I don't see the problem, albeit usually under an overhang.

I do have a garage now, but they don't all fit in it, so 2 -3 (of six) usually get left outside (plus my daughter's bike, and my girlfriend's moped).

Besides, if you leave them out in the rain, you don't need to wash them!

Tom

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment. Theres no space for a shed, and the best I could hope for is to see if the owner would let me park the bike in our little backyard area, which is fenced in. The nearest storage place is 6 blocks away, which means walking to and from it every time I leave for work, come back, etc.
You better make sure you have good insurance, then. Apartment complexes are probably the place where a bike is most prone to be stolen or F'ed with. The majority of bikes I hear about being stolen are in apartment complexes.
I agree. Just about every stolen bike thread I have read on the internet has the words "apartment complex/condo parking lot/garage" in it.

As someone said earlier, rent a storage space large enough to store your riding apparel as well. Think of what good shape you will be in after walking or riding a bicycle to and from the storage unit.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
I'm at the extreme end of this. No way would I buy a Ducati and leave it outside or in an unsecured location. I would go without until the situation changes. As far as parking it in your patio area, thats good, however as long as you push it to and from the street unless you want to wake everyone up warming up the engine. Remember the 90 second warm up rule. If you decide to start the bike at the patio, in no time you will get a cease order from the apartment manager.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm definetly going to get a storage shed somewhere. Not sure how much they cost, but I'm sure it's worth it compared to a tipped over bike or a stolen one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts