Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding yesterday up in the twisties with this dude I had just met. When we stopped he was like "Your gonna lay your bike down one of these days because of how you lean your bike in the turns". Basically he said that I lean with the bike too much which could cause it to slide out. I've read Lee Parks 'Total Control' and other articles and what I got from them was that you want your center of gravity to the inside of the bikes center. We were riding about 60 in the turns and the guy said we were not going fast enough for how much I was leaning on the bike. Just wondering if you guys felt about this and if im doing the right thing or not. I do feel comfortable in the turns though. Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yellow749s said:
I went riding yesterday up in the twisties with this dude I had just met. When we stopped he was like "Your gonna lay your bike down one of these days because of how you lean your bike in the turns". Basically he said that I lean with the bike too much which could cause it to slide out. I've read Lee Parks 'Total Control' and other articles and what I got from them was that you want your center of gravity to the inside of the bikes center. We were riding about 60 in the turns and the guy said we were not going fast enough for how much I was leaning on the bike. Just wondering if you guys felt about this and if im doing the right thing or not. I do feel comfortable in the turns though. Thanks
On the street and on street tires... even without knowing anything else, there is a good chance he was correct....

Some real basics here - you want to minimize the bike's lean angle in any given situation.... that will allow you get on the gas faster and with less risk of losing it...

What I can advise for certain is that you may want to invest in some riding classes just to make sure you have the basics down and have someone qualified give you some pointers. You can't learn to hit a golf ball very well by simply reading a book... same goes for riding one of these damn 2-wheeled thingies....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I took the MSF course a year ago. I want to get into some more advanced courses though...

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're not scraping parts and you have at least a remnant of a chicken strip left on your tires your probably OK. I think you just pissed the guy off cause you smoked him in the twisties...........

·
comrade moderator
26,989 Posts
Yellow749s said:
Basically he said that I lean with the bike too much which could cause it to slide out. We were riding about 60 in the turns and the guy said we were not going fast enough for how much I was leaning on the bike.
I don't understand. Were you leaning the bike under you like a dirtbike, or were you hanging off?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't hang off yet, but I do put my body to the inside of the motorcycle, the "kiss your mirror" technique.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't think you're leaning enough.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I believe what they are talking about iis from A Twist of the Wrist, Keith Code says that you want to position your upper body like you were gonna kiss your mirror. Head up, upper body to the inside of the bike.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't remember where I heard it, basically when you rotate your hips on the tank and lean your body to the inside, almost to where your helmet is going to kiss your mirror. :) I definetly don't lean the bike underneath me, like a dirt bike.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds to me like your body position is correct. You want your center of gravity on the inside through a turn. The nice thing about postioning your body there, is that you then have leverage to turn the bike. Then you have control to change your direction quickly if you have to.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
next time you are out riding in a corner, try sliding your ass half-way off the seat in the direction of the turn....and you'll get what this guy is refering to. The bike will start steering much tighter and you'll have to correct that to keep your line, by raising the bike up a little. Leaning the bike very far on the street, will leave you with a much smaller contact patch, compared to getting off the bike a bit. This will in turn, make it much harder to lean the bike further into a corner, as you are at the very edge of your tire/traction. Being able to lean further is a good thing on the street, as obsticles, and road conditions can change rapidly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts