Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever solve this problem?

I have a 999. The brake reservoir has had a minor leak under the cap forever, even after tightening. After I got sick of the corroded cap I bought billet aftermarket caps. I cleaned the surfaces, made sure the gasket was seated properly and tightened the cap just right I think (not over tight). It leaked severely during wheelies and hard leans so I tried HondaBond gasket maker around the rim of the cup and above the gasket. Still leaks, all over the right fairing.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It sounds like you have addressed all of the likely sources of cover leak. Are you sure it's coming from under the cover? The outlet nipple mates into a rubber grommet that might not be sealing properly. The reservoir is mounted to the master cyl. by the bleed assembly, that seals with an o-ring. Could that be loose?

I'd pull the reservoir and look at those components and also check to see that the plastic reservoir isn't cracked around the outlet nipple.

·
Registered
217 Posts
With all your issues with it, have you considered just buying a new reservoir all-together?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Mine sprung a leak right after I overtighten the 3 screws on the cap, could you have maybe damaged the rubber or warped the aluminum cover when you tightened it?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I found that my resevoir was overfilled. Took some out by dunking a paper towel in there and drawing some out. Make sure w/ the billet covers that they are engineered to accept the gasket. The Brembo covers are and wont allow the gasket to deform.
But try taking some fluid out when the bike is level and see if this helps.
The stock covers are an easy fix. Just use a paint stripping gel, scrub clean w/ soapy water, dry and paint w/ Duplicolor Truck and Van paint. This paint seems to hold up better to the fluid corrosion vs Rustoleum and others

1 - 5 of 5 Posts