Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and only found one post an a leaky gas tank seam, so I thought I would throw this outhere for others to see.
At first I thought it was the filler cap seal issue that has been covered before but that is not the case. It is the seam at the very rear of the tank under the hinge welds I do not see it leaking down from the hinge area, rather weaping from the seam itself and traveling down to the lowest outside corners then leaking down various parts of the frame and onto the exhaust when on the sidestand.
I will call the dealer in palatine IL tomorrow and see what they have to say about the situation,It may just be easier for me to repair it myself with the likes of POR 15 or ? rather than put this back together and haul it down there
as it's 130 mi round trip x 2. Because the bike is just over 2 yrs old and I am the 2nd owner warr coverage may be an issue, might be covered under the 5 yr emission warr but then the bike will undoubtely be down for the rest of the riding season waiting for parts.
Tomorow I will bring my compressor back to the shop and pressure test this just to be sure its the seam and not the hinge spot welds.
Anybody else have this specific problem ?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My tank leaks/ weeps as well. It never drips but is always damp along the seam. I have been thinking that this is a good winter project.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea if it was just damp I woul probably wait till the end of oct but the thought of a fire just wont do. Combine that with the fact if it's allowed to go on it will cause th paint to peel off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If it's not covered under warranty, you may consider gas tank sealer as long as it is a minor seepage issue. I have done this on a number of tanks I've fixed/painted:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

If you do this, make sure you take out the fuel pump and all the hardware inside the tank first and remove the gas cap & seals since this stuff will adhere to almost anything.

On the other hand, there's a couple of ST gas tanks on E-bay lately....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

Well after futher review it is the hinge that is leaking!
Put a call in to a dealer to see if it would be covered and they said they would send in a claim, he said that t
hey have had to weld many of the tanks and that sounded like they were not covered under warrranty:think:
I guess I will give them the chance to say no before I worry about it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice guys. talked to the dealer a couple of times and dna pre approved the tank replacement without even seeing the bike, tank on order now. If it is in GA. 2wks IN Italy???????????????????????????????
I will put it back together and enjoy what time is left.

·
7,733 Posts
I thought in the US that the separate, federally legislated 5 years emisssions warranty covered fuel emissions related parts like the tank. Not so in Canada where there's no such emissions law.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stryder you are corect, but it is not always the case that a manufacturer will do what is right the first time around, even with legislation.
I am glad that it seems to be working out though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine leaked after I used too much techron fuel injection cleaner. Don at Modesto Ducati showed me where to weld it up and after the weld it is 99% dry. I am good with 99%.

Pain in the .... though.

Mark

·
7,733 Posts
Stryder you are corect, but it is not always the case that a manufacturer will do what is right the first time around, even with legislation.
I am glad that it seems to be working out though.

Oh yes, it's very good news that Ducati steped up to the plate for you. Few things are more depressing than having a warranty dispute.

·
7,733 Posts
Mine leaked after I used too much techron fuel injection cleaner. Don at Modesto Ducati showed me where to weld it up and after the weld it is 99% dry. I am good with 99%.

Pain in the .... though.

Mark
Really? A gasoline additive caused a steel tank to leak, or would that have been caused by a faulty weld in the first place?

99% is good enough. I like that attitude. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, there was a direct correlation between the use of TOO much fuel injection cleaner and the leak. The leak was quite considerable. Big pool on the garage floor right next to the freakin water heater!

I was trying to clean up what I thought was a stuck injector with the cleaner. Let is sit in the tank a bit too long, oh well. But, of course, it probably just took the varnish off of the seam that was leaking from the inside. Definitely a factory issue, or better yet, a factory supplier issue.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts