Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Leaking tank? Replaced your tank recently?

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  MajorSoftie 
#1 ·
So as we all know the Sportclassics tanks have had some issues. So most people are having their tanks replaced by Ducati. But people are having the same issues again. So...

We are now offering a tank sealing service. If you want to have your tank sealed and protected, you can send your tank into us and we will seal it using Caswell tank sealer. Heres how it works:

• You send us your tank with all parts removed.
  • We will clean the inside and coated it.
  • We hang it for 24 hours and allow it to cure then we ship it back to you.
  • The cost is $119.99 plus return shipping.

Contact Matt@motowheels.com for more information.

#8 ·
There is a pigment that can be used with this kit, to avoid the problems JC has had. If someone ends up using two full kits, they may be overbuilding the material to the point where it may not cure in spots. Although these kits are sold to the public, it is much better to have it applied by someone like Motowheels who can successfully apply a single kit correctly.

That's not to say that 2 kits can't be used, some tanks may need it depending on size and other variables.

#9 ·
Bottom line
...get your tank sealed.
Send it out
do it yourself
have a friend who knows what he's doing do it.

That being said
We do 4-6 tanks at a time so we buy in bulk and use what is needed for the tank we are servicing.
For the SC tank, it comes to a little more then what 1 kit offers.
We are not using dyes at this time and we have our reasons for this that I'd rather not say why. Personally I like to see it remain a clear translucent for my tank.

Good to have someone else offering this service professionally as we have been the only one up to now.
Between dealers and Individuals sending their tanks there is plenty of room.

JC

#10 ·
Bottom line
...get your tank sealed.
Send it out
do it yourself
have a friend who knows what he's doing do it.

That being said
We do 4-6 tanks at a time so we buy in bulk and use what is needed for the tank we are servicing.
For the SC tank, it comes to a little more then what 1 kit offers.
We are not using dyes at this time and we have our reasons for this that I'd rather not say why. Personally I like to see it remain a clear translucent for my tank.

Good to have someone else offering this service professionally as we have been the only one up to now.
Between dealers and Individuals sending their tanks there is plenty of room.

JC
Ummm, do you always post stuff like this in other vendors threads, seems a little low-brow wouldn't you agree? I know everyone deserves to have all the information they can handle with respect to this product, but with the conflicting info you've posted, it just looks like a competitive barb rather than trying to help the Ducati.ms members what with this originally being a vendors thread.

Just my opinion from my point of view. Sorry for taking this off-topic.

#13 ·
Although I DO paint for Motowheels, this is not my deal. I just found it odd that a vendor wouldn't think better than to post anything other than support in another vendor's thread. Not that I'm saying vendors need to be cheerleaders, just the whole respect the bounds kind of thing.

There's no way anyone can offend Matt and the Gang at Motowheels, all those guys are way nicer than they need to be on a daily basis.

The conflicting stuff I referred to was that with this being a clear product, if you use 2 kits instead of one, it doesn't get any more visible with film build, as it really is a water-clear product when placed over Carbon, Kevlar, etc. Experience really is the key to making this product work as intended, and there are several recommended methods of application that make the whole process worth the expense when done by the right hands.

But you are definitely right about that price being great! :)

#14 ·
Lol

although i do paint for motowheels, this is not my deal. I just found it odd that a vendor wouldn't think better than to post anything other than support in another vendor's thread. Not that i'm saying vendors need to be cheerleaders, just the whole respect the bounds kind of thing.

There's no way anyone can offend matt and the gang at motowheels, all those guys are way nicer than they need to be on a daily basis.

The conflicting stuff i referred to was that with this being a clear product, if you use 2 kits instead of one, it doesn't get any more visible with film build, as it really is a water-clear product when placed over carbon, kevlar, etc. Experience really is the key to making this product work as intended, and there are several recommended methods of application that make the whole process worth the expense when done by the right hands.

But you are definitely right about that price being great! :)

#15 ·
Just one customer's point of view

Having dealt with both vendors (and several others in this forum), I openly endorse them all with no hesitation which is one of the things that makes this forum so great. High quality folks all providing high quality service and products.

#19 ·
Thank you Gentlemen and Hooligans I appreciate that.
next rounds on me for Dollar beers!

I love the guys over at MW and would never think of undermining them.
They are the
Cat's meow.
The Duc's Qwak
I send people over to them all the time for things I do not carry or have on hand.
I even buy stuff from them;)

Simply put, I want the tanks to be a afterthought for all and put the tank problem behind us with whats available at hand to fix it. Getting it done and get on with riding I say, regardless who seals the tank.

JC

#28 ·
OK, I feel like I need to stand up and shake hands at a photo op with JCPakBikes...

I am will be the one personally sealing the tanks. I have been doing this for about 20 years. We are offering this as a service. We are by no means getting rich from sealing tanks. I know that it will help, I had this happen on a tank on my triumph a few years ago. So Ijust bought a new tank. I took the old on and stored it in the attic. About a year later the new tank started to do the same thing. so I sealed it. BAMM fixed it. On another note I grabbed the old tank to chuck it and it had gone back to its orignal shape. so I sealed it too and had a spare.

So let me retake the thread I started...My Thread My rules! No more fighting.

If you have questions regarding sealing a tank, ask away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.