Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as we all know the Sportclassics tanks have had some issues. So most people are having their tanks replaced by Ducati. But people are having the same issues again. So...

We are now offering a tank sealing service. If you want to have your tank sealed and protected, you can send your tank into us and we will seal it using Caswell tank sealer. Heres how it works:

• You send us your tank with all parts removed.
  • We will clean the inside and coated it.
  • We hang it for 24 hours and allow it to cure then we ship it back to you.
  • The cost is $119.99 plus return shipping.
Contact [email protected] for more information.

6,048 Posts
Are you single coating or double coating?

JC

So as we all know the Sportclassics tanks have had some issues. So most people are having their tanks replaced by Ducati. But people are having the same issues again. So...

We are now offering a tank sealing service. If you want to have your tank sealed and protected, you can send your tank into us and we will seal it using Caswell tank sealer. Heres how it works:

• You send us your tank with all parts removed.
  • We will clean the inside and coated it.
  • We hang it for 24 hours and allow it to cure then we ship it back to you.
  • The cost is $119.99 plus return shipping.
Contact [email protected] for more information.

·
Vendor
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far we have always single coated our tanks. Double coating woudn't be much more work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Matt,
That's a pretty good value for the money. Material costs start at $45... For someone who doesn't want to deal with the mess or risk F.ups thats a great deal I think.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Matt,
That's a pretty good value for the money. Material costs start at $45... For someone who doesn't want to deal with the mess or risk F.ups thats a great deal I think.
Yes. I'm sure you'd learn a lot doing your first few so that it's very unlikely your first try would come out as good as their 100'th or whatever on your tank.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Are you single coating or double coating?

JC
What benefit is there to double coating?

I need those extra millimeters of capacity :D (just kidding).

6,048 Posts
it ensures that the tank is fully sealed and coated with the material.
Caswell thinks it's enough for one kit
we believe it is not and use two kits per tank

Would you want to risk missing a spot and that spot starts to swell?
This stuff is clear and hard to tell if you have it totally covered
and it is easy to miss a spot if done improperly.
Improperly done it fails at that spot.

If you are planning on doing this yourself.
get two kits.

jc

What benefit is there to double coating?

I need those extra millimeters of capacity :D (just kidding).

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
There is a pigment that can be used with this kit, to avoid the problems JC has had. If someone ends up using two full kits, they may be overbuilding the material to the point where it may not cure in spots. Although these kits are sold to the public, it is much better to have it applied by someone like Motowheels who can successfully apply a single kit correctly.

That's not to say that 2 kits can't be used, some tanks may need it depending on size and other variables.

6,048 Posts
Bottom line
...get your tank sealed.
Send it out
do it yourself
have a friend who knows what he's doing do it.

That being said
We do 4-6 tanks at a time so we buy in bulk and use what is needed for the tank we are servicing.
For the SC tank, it comes to a little more then what 1 kit offers.
We are not using dyes at this time and we have our reasons for this that I'd rather not say why. Personally I like to see it remain a clear translucent for my tank.

Good to have someone else offering this service professionally as we have been the only one up to now.
Between dealers and Individuals sending their tanks there is plenty of room.

JC

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Bottom line
...get your tank sealed.
Send it out
do it yourself

That being said
We do 4-6 tanks at a time so we buy in bulk and use what is needed for the tank we are servicing.
For the SC tank, it comes to a little more then what 1 kit offers.
We are not using dyes at this time and we have our reasons for this that I'd rather not say why. Personally I like to see it remain a clear translucent for my tank.

Good to have someone else offering this service professionally as we have been the only one up to now.
Between dealers and Individuals sending their tanks there is plenty of room.

JC
Ummm, do you always post stuff like this in other vendors threads, seems a little low-brow wouldn't you agree? I know everyone deserves to have all the information they can handle with respect to this product, but with the conflicting info you've posted, it just looks like a competitive barb rather than trying to help the Ducati.ms members what with this originally being a vendors thread.

Just my opinion from my point of view. Sorry for taking this off-topic.

6,048 Posts
Sorry that you feel that way, vested interest as you are in Sacramento??;)
and i apologize to Matt and the gang if they have taken offence to my posts
but
Not being competitive at all and I don't think it is that conflicting.
pointer, siggestions, taken from experience, if you like
and
You are right
"everyone deserves to have all the information they can handle with respect to this product" and services offered.

My main goal is I would like to see everyone's tank be normal and happy.
Hell, at the price Matt is offering we'll send the tanks up and have him do it for us.
:D

jc

Ummm, do you always post stuff like this in other vendors threads, seems a little low-brow wouldn't you agree? I know everyone deserves to have all the information they can handle with respect to this product, but with the conflicting info you've posted, it just looks like a competitive barb rather than trying to help the Ducati.ms members what with this originally being a vendors thread.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Although I DO paint for Motowheels, this is not my deal. I just found it odd that a vendor wouldn't think better than to post anything other than support in another vendor's thread. Not that I'm saying vendors need to be cheerleaders, just the whole respect the bounds kind of thing.

There's no way anyone can offend Matt and the Gang at Motowheels, all those guys are way nicer than they need to be on a daily basis.

The conflicting stuff I referred to was that with this being a clear product, if you use 2 kits instead of one, it doesn't get any more visible with film build, as it really is a water-clear product when placed over Carbon, Kevlar, etc. Experience really is the key to making this product work as intended, and there are several recommended methods of application that make the whole process worth the expense when done by the right hands.

But you are definitely right about that price being great! :)

6,048 Posts
Lol

although i do paint for motowheels, this is not my deal. I just found it odd that a vendor wouldn't think better than to post anything other than support in another vendor's thread. Not that i'm saying vendors need to be cheerleaders, just the whole respect the bounds kind of thing.

There's no way anyone can offend matt and the gang at motowheels, all those guys are way nicer than they need to be on a daily basis.

The conflicting stuff i referred to was that with this being a clear product, if you use 2 kits instead of one, it doesn't get any more visible with film build, as it really is a water-clear product when placed over carbon, kevlar, etc. Experience really is the key to making this product work as intended, and there are several recommended methods of application that make the whole process worth the expense when done by the right hands.

But you are definitely right about that price being great! :)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Just one customer's point of view

Having dealt with both vendors (and several others in this forum), I openly endorse them all with no hesitation which is one of the things that makes this forum so great. High quality folks all providing high quality service and products.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

I disagree completely.

1. I found the discussion to be very cordial and informative discussing the issue of whether two coats is a good idea or not (with the possible exception of the post to which I am currently responding). As with so many things, there are arguments for both sides.

2. This is not "another vendor's thread." The vendor made a post; they began the thread - they do not own it. The thread "belongs" to everyone who posts on it, not to the person/organization who begins it.

3. Even if the thread had not remained so cordial and professional, as long as it is a discussion of the technical merit of competing ideas about how best to treat our bikes, then it is exactly what the forum is here for.

To quote DT996: "Just my opinion from my point of view."

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts

My reaction was just the opposite. What I saw was a trusted vendor sharing positive information that made the thread more valuable to forum members. There was no undercutting, no negativity, nothing undesirable at all.

I personally thank both Moto Refugee and JCPakBikes for sharing their knowledge, experience and useful services with us. :)

-don

6,048 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen and Hooligans I appreciate that.
next rounds on me for Dollar beers!

I love the guys over at MW and would never think of undermining them.
They are the
Cat's meow.
The Duc's Qwak
I send people over to them all the time for things I do not carry or have on hand.
I even buy stuff from them;)

Simply put, I want the tanks to be a afterthought for all and put the tank problem behind us with whats available at hand to fix it. Getting it done and get on with riding I say, regardless who seals the tank.

JC

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Caswell thinks it's enough for one kit
we believe it is not and use two kits per tank

Would you want to risk missing a spot and that spot starts to swell?
This stuff is clear and hard to tell if you have it totally covered
and it is easy to miss a spot if done improperly.
Improperly done it fails at that spot.

If you are planning on doing this yourself.
get two kits.

jc
Bottom line
...get your tank sealed.
Send it out
do it yourself

JC
I quoted these not to point fingers at JC, but merely to demonstrate what I saw as off-topic or slightly distracting from the intent of the sales-based thread. There's no bad blood between myself and JC, and if any thing I posted is re-read, that will be evident considering there is no name-calling, rude remarks, or humor that isn't backed up with a smiley to ensure the intent was clearly understood. Seems we need to generate a more diverse group of smileys. <there's no smiley for that

I disagree completely.

1. I found the discussion to be very cordial and informative discussing the issue of whether two coats is a good idea or not (with the possible exception of the post to which I am currently responding). As with so many things, there are arguments for both sides. Why would you suggest my post was not informative or cordial?

2. This is not "another vendor's thread." The vendor made a post; they began the thread - they do not own it. The thread "belongs" to everyone who posts on it, not to the person/organization who begins it. The thread is a sales-based post where they have stated their intention to provide a service for a fee. I've always understood that it is impolite to mention that you (as a vendor) do the same service, whereas that may misdirect the attention of potential customers, no matter the reason for the mention. This is somewhat similar to a bike for sale ad, where posters question the guy on his price even though they have no intention of buying it.

3. Even if the thread had not remained so cordial and professional, as long as it is a discussion of the technical merit of competing ideas about how best to treat our bikes, then it is exactly what the forum is here for. Agreed if the post was: "What is your opinion of -----", not "We are offering a service"

To quote DT996: "Just my opinion from my point of view."
After all these years I'm finally quoted for something, I gotta frame this one.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts