Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just checking over my bike today and noticed oil on the RIGHT fork leg. Was told by Ducati USA that the right had been replaced prior it being delivered to the dealer. Is this a leak or part of the new bike settling in process? Out of the 5 new bikes I've had, this is the first I've seen this. Will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Wipe it and keep an eye on it. Dont worry too much its not like its out of warr:Danty..

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's a leaking fork leg....they shouldn't do that. Most likely "replaced" the original leg with another off-the-shelf unit from the same bad batch.....get your dealer to fix it.

jdw

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys, just checking over my bike today and noticed oil on the RIGHT fork leg. Was told by Ducati USA that the right had been replaced prior it being delivered to the dealer. Is this a leak or part of the new bike settling in process? Out of the 5 new bikes I've had, this is the first I've seen this. Will have to keep an eye on it.

that's a leak ... its not normal... you need to get it fixed .... forks = critical components... don't ride around like this

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:mad: I'll call them tomorrow morning. I noticed it when I picked it up but though it was just some dirt from them washing it prior to delivery. Rode it and then checked it. Doesn't seem to be any worse from when I picked it up but I'll keep an eye on it. I won't clean it off I'll leave it for them to see it. I opened up all compression and rebound and bounced it up and down for a while, just now. No visible oil.

The recall was for a replacement fork due to a bad fork bottom (axle holder).

That's a leaking fork leg....they shouldn't do that. Most likely "replaced" the original leg with another off-the-shelf unit from the same bad batch.....get your dealer to fix it.

jdw

·
Registered
774 Posts
The recall was for a replacement fork due to a bad fork bottom (axle holder).
Ah, that's right......for some reason the bikes here in Oz weren't affected (or, as usually happens, given a "service bulletin" notice instead of a full recall).

At any rate get it fixed asap.

jdw

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Fork seal compromised most likely. The longer the time between the seal going bad and getting fixed can compromise the fork by accumulating dirt and wiping the fork with it each movement. A scratched leg can mean it will leak even after the seal is fixed. They should be able to judge if the leg is damaged.

Many fork seals are damaged during installation of the components when the leg is built, but sometimes they just fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts