Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Rizoma clutch and brake reserviors for over a year, but just recently my clutch reservior has developed a leak from the cap. Tried making sure the threads were clean and the cap was on tight but I can't get it to stop leaking. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yep. Both of mine leak, bad. Not fun to be cruising down the highway only to look over and see a huge drop of brake fluid slowly forming and about to fly off onto your paint. But it's not really a leak as much as it is just a material/use thing.

What happens is the brake fluid slowly seeps through the rubber bellow inside the cap. Then you have fluid on top of the rubber, where it is supposed to be just air to allow for expansion. Once enough fluid builds up you get a leak. The bellows (not sure what else to call it) is just not the right material. Also, it's not very flexible...so- You have to be very careful how much you fill the reservoirs. I have finaly got mine to quit leaking by keeping the fluid level very low, so that the rubber part barely displaces the fluid when screwing the cap back on.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yea, mine leak too. I notice a lot of vibration shaking the brake reservoir on mine. That one leaks. The clutch is nice and still and it does not leak. I think they leak less on a 4 cylinder. I put the minimum fluid in mine, but it doesn't seem to matter. I hear a lot of triumph guys dealing with the same issue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
mine have been leaking, and i have been toying with pretty much what dietrich said. hopefully i will have time tonight to mess with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Both of mine leak, bad. Not fun to be cruising down the highway only to look over and see a huge drop of brake fluid slowly forming and about to fly off onto your paint. But it's not really a leak as much as it is just a material/use thing.

What happens is the brake fluid slowly seeps through the rubber bellow inside the cap. Then you have fluid on top of the rubber, where it is supposed to be just air to allow for expansion. Once enough fluid builds up you get a leak. The bellows (not sure what else to call it) is just not the right material. Also, it's not very flexible...so- You have to be very careful how much you fill the reservoirs. I have finaly got mine to quit leaking by keeping the fluid level very low, so that the rubber part barely displaces the fluid when screwing the cap back on.
I've tried keeping the fluid as low as posssible, just barely to the bottom of the site window, but I still have the leak. Thanks for the input, at least I know I'm not the only one with the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts