Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the manuals and looking through the parts manual, I'm guessing that this is due to a seal or an o-ring going bad around the clutch push rod or the seal ring right after the needle bearings on the main shaft for the gear box.

However, we're not 100% sure on this and want to know others opinions on this from experience.

I was at the track today and noticed some oil around the open clutch cover, nothing major at all, but something to notice to say the least. We removed the open clutch cover and pressure plate to find that the outer basket was bone dry as were my clutch plates. However, the inner basket had a small amount of oil pooled in the bottom of it. Perhaps enough that the end of a q-tip would soak it all up.

Got the bike home (after not being able to start: see other thread....yeah, it was a GREAT day...;) )....and took apart the clutch to find nothing visibly wrong. Pulled the clutch push rod out and the right end of the rod has very minor wear, but it does have some wear. Minor gouging and a bit of polishing. On the other end, the end with the two o-rings, we've noticed a few very small flat spots in the o-rings only visible upon extremely close inspection and a thorough cleaning.

The o-ring on the spacer that goes in first (and comes out last, before you pull the clutch basket), looks fine.

When you have this kind of oil seepage, what is the typical resolution? What seal needs to be replaced and what does it take to replace it? Also, how common is this to have this happen?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
the clutch end of the input shaft has a tiny seal inside that seals the pushrod. It's very easily damaged, for example, by removing the pushrod from the clutch side vs. slave cylinder side.

The seal is easy to replace... pry out the old one with a small flat blade screwdrider, and drive the new seal with a small socket of appropriate size. Take note of which way the seal is oriented... the "lip" of the sealing suface should face inboard.

Also, do some investigating into that pushrod... some light wear is normal, but sounds like yours is excessive. Pics would help. The primary culprit will be the clutch throwout bearing.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
As above, oil seal in the 'hole' through the basket which seals the pushrod to clutch. I've swapped mine twice - first time because it was old and I figured it needed changing and second time (shortly after) because it leaked, probably because I didn't seat it well enough. :eek:

Good news is it's easy to swap and cheap to buy, get 2 while while you're at the dealers... ;)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Very common issue... I'll be honest, when I had it, it was because my clutch hub had worn out too much and it was literally rocking the shaft on high RPM down-shifts. One trick I leaned to resolve this: The pressure plate has a bearing, in that bearing is a poppet which is what the push rod fits into. Take the o ring out of that poppet so the shaft fits in there loosely. I was thinking about milling mine out a bit more so it fit even looser. This way, when the pressure plate wobbles, which it WILL eventually as it ages, it won't destroy seals.

SO yes, replace the seal, thats easy... Sand down the shaft where it hits that seal with a very fine grit sand paper. Make sure there isn't any burr on the shaft (this is also very common and eats up seals) Keep 2 spare ones on you and try my poppet deal. I think you'll find it resolves the problems. ;)

Ohh and while your at it, replace that throw-out bearing per the suggestion above.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. This is all what we were thinking.

The pressure plate was replaced by the original owner (as was the clutch basket). So the bearing that's in there isn't original and it spins very freely. However, for little to no money, I'll probably end up replacing it.

Once I get home tonight, I'll see if I can snap a pic of the push rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts