Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My woes continue! Because of my backfire (not ‘popping’…BACKFIRE!) I took the bike back to my dealer and had them take off the whole (newly installed) Termi system and reinstall it with me there. New header gasket…nuts to 10Nm…align it all nicely etc. BUT…we could see the ‘blow marks’ where the muffler slides onto the last pipe. So we made sure no undue stresses and strains…no ‘bending’…and all was assembled. STILL LEAKING. After hours of playing….they uses a high temp silicon sealer…which does seem to have stopped the leak. BUT then they tell me, the muffler has to come off if I want to remove the rear wheel!!! What a total pain this is going to be. Anyone else had a leaking Termi??? Nick

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Another fine product by our overpriced Termignoni factory :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I love Umbria sir...and most of Italy... and most Italians.
My dealer's expert (he was not there today) now says that a leak there (pipe into termi box) is of no importance...he may well be right...certainly better than a leak in the header! But now, when I switch to PR3 tyres. I have to go to my overpriced Ducati dealer to get them cus no one else will ever get the 'glued on' box off the pipe!

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Exhaust leak....
It is going to the atmosphere anyways, sometime soon...

Perhaps it will cake up with carbon soon and stop itself...
Mechanics usually charge Twice the price if you help...

Slober some very high temp silicone around the joint on the outside wipe off the excess and see what happens ....
sometimes when humid black water will be made and a small amount of drippage will happen...

How big of a problem is this?

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
178 Posts
I always add high temp silicone/Permatex stuff when assembling exhaust parts....Termi or not chances are the seal isn't great (or doesn't exist at all). Although I agree that the fit of the last 2 Termi products i've had has been less than perfect.

Also....wasn't aware the muffler needed to be removed to take the rear wheel off????

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Termi muffler off for real wheel removal?

Good point. My (poor) Ducati dealer says the termi box has to come off to take take the rear wheel off. Can anyone comment on that?
I agree exhausts leak...and this 'push together' thing seem like they are designed to leak. So if you use high temp silicon...can you get the thing to come apart at a later date? (That's my fear). Thanks...Nick

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You have to remove the muffler to take the rear tire off no matter what exhaust system you decide to go with. I doubt the seal will be an issue. You just have to use the silicon seal every time you have to take off the rear wheel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine has the same loose fit at the connection. You see carbon marks building up which need to be cleaned off. I took it to my dealer and he slopped on what looked to be exhaust pipe leak repair material and of course it crumbled away. High temp silicone packed into the female end may help though.

I have the backfires as well but not sure if it's more to do with the overly rich mixture. I notice that if I'm slowing to stop that if I close the throttle and leave it closed not so much popping but if I open it back up the slightest bit and feather it while slowing it will pop and/or backfire.

I think the air leak causing it is more the case if it's leaking at the exhaust manifold and pulling air into the combustion chamber more than a leak at the muffler connection.

I intend to eventually have my ecu remapped. I think that will fix a few things.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I notice that if I'm slowing to stop that if I close the throttle and leave it closed not so much popping but if I open it back up the slightest bit and feather it while slowing it will pop and/or backfire.
Mines doing exactly the same. Seems to be getting worse with time...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Did your dealer not use any Copper Anti-Seize Assembly Paste when assembling your system? Every Akropovic system I've purchased has always had a small tube included. You can pick it up at Napa for about $14.00 for a 4oz container. I've had a tub of this stuff for years and have never had a leak or had an issue disassembling a system for repairs.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Good point. My (poor) Ducati dealer says the termi box has to come off to take take the rear wheel off. Can anyone comment on that?
yes.

The muffler has to come off to remove the rear wheel.

My Termi leaks a little at the same place, as evidenced by the small buildup of soot at that joint. When I mentioned it to me dealer he said "They all do that. It's nothing to worry about."

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First...ref CopaSlip....when I asked my dealer to take the whole system off and reassemble it I took my own tube of CopaSlip...but that really is only to make sure it will all come apart again in the future. We did put a lot on the rear joint but it still leaked...so we cleaned it all off and used high temp silicon which has stopped the leak. ( I so love dealers who say "they all do that"....well they 'all' shouldn't do that...especially not at the price of this system!)
As for POPPING (or even worse...'gunshot' backfires) well...many threads on that...and the generaly poor performance in the low/mid rev range. I had the ECU remapped by CJS in the UK (TomTom is the USA does the same I belive) and it made a big difference but a Dyno run still showed the need for more fine tuning. (In fairness to CJS, they did say this would be the case). So today a PCV is being fitted and each cylinder mapped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts