Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone else has run into this problem and can provide some input before I start buying parts. When I have more than a half full tank, gas leaks around the cap and runs out all over the tank. It's difficult to tell if it's the cap gasket or the vent. I've removed the vent nipple and resealed it to the tank, but that didn't help. Next step is to replace the gasket on the cap. Am I on the right track? Is there another possible culprit I'm missing (i.e. a vent hose inside the tank)?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
gas coming out the key hole? there are no replacement parts short off a new $200 oem cap or an aftermarket. i was advised to work some wd40 into the cap springs. my cross bolt was not extending fully. the wd40 did free things up. now after i close the cap and then press down on the forward part of the cap with my thumbs the cap will pop up when i turn the key. i will fill my tank today and see if its sealed better.
edit: no leak today.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gas coming out the key hole?
It's not coming out of the key hole. It comes out around the aluminum ring that bolts to the tank. That's what makes it hard to tell where the leak is actually coming from. Everything inside the cap area gets soaked.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give the WD40 a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange. I did the exact same search and got squat.

Thanks though. Now I've got a couple other things to check.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
My favorite is the "I forgot to click the gas cap shut."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ah, so it isn't just me! And I thought it was just a feature. Had the same problem last week on my trip when I filled it just a bit too full and then put it on the sidestand.

Oh boy, another item for my winter fix list...

Cheers

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Had the same problem last week on my trip when I filled it just a bit too full and then put it on the sidestand.Cheers
I have had that happen to me before. If you fill the tank completely up to the bottom of the neck, gasoline will run out the overflow drain when the bike is parked on its sidestand. I always park my ST on its centerstand after filling up.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I purchased a new replacement oem gas cap off of ebay to fix my problems. I actually ended up with 2 of them. I have a spare if anyone should be in need of one. Good luck with your repairs!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My favorite is the "I forgot to click the gas cap shut."
Yep... I did that once... I thought it was shut... gas everywhere.... I only did it once... now I listen for the "click". I use the c/s after I fill up too.

Sounds like to OP has more of an issue... maybe the latch isn't fully clicking into place... hence the use of WD-40.

Randy

·
Registered
209 Posts
i never did get a click from mine even after freeing the crossbolt. it seems the cross bolt spring might be on the weak side but its working for now.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my cap apart tonight and cleaned and lubed it up. Everything looked pretty clean, but when I put it together and back on, I got the click I've been hearing about. It never used to do that (or at least I didn't notice if it did). It's supposed to rain here for the next two or three days, so it might be a while before I can report on the results.

A word of warning to anyone considering taking their cap apart. Don't remove the last two, small phillips head screws. There is nothing under there that needs cleaned, and there is a tiny spring and even tinier ball that will pop out. The spring and ball are extremely easy to lose and very important to your happiness. Don't poke that bear if you don't have to.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my cap apart tonight and cleaned and lubed it up. Everything looked pretty clean, but when I put it together and back on, I got the click I've been hearing about. It never used to do that (or at least I didn't notice if it did). It's supposed to rain here for the next two or three days, so it might be a while before I can report on the results.
Didn't help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts