Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 multi 1200 with 13k miles on her. I just got her back from having the left fork resealed and I have a trip (200 miles each way) this week. I've got a slow/slight leak on the right fork which I have just discovered. Can I go and continue to leak fork oil without damaging the shock? My alternative is my truck which will be about $100 more expensive on gas, and also very boring.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can make something like this in a pinch, who knows, you may get lucky!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larossa, that's awesome. I just cut a cleaner out of some spare thin plastic and did it. I'm about to go test the thing.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Wouldn't be a pisser if you did fix it?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's not fixed but it's a very slow leak. It's really just sort of dampening the shock arm with oil, it's not leaking off anywhere (yet). I don't know. I'm thinking I shouldn't take it down tomorrow, but I'd take some input on that. Can I damage the fork if it runs low/dry on oil? I can't imagine this little loss actually adding up to an empty shock over the next 5 days.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
be very sure you want to risk a long trip with a leaky seal. it's not the dampening you need to worry about, it's the fork oil impregnating your front disk brake pads. when my seals had blown last month my shop had to not only replace the pads but thoroughly clean the calipers as well.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
A slow leak might turn into a mess while you are out on your trip. I once finished up the last few days of a trip with a 'wiper' made from a paper towel wrapped around and duct taped to the fork leg. It kept oil off of everything else, but I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't have to....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts