Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a ride yesterday and once I got home I noticed coolant dripping on the right hand of the bike. The coolant was definitely not leaking while riding only once the bike was turned off. I followed the leak and it seems to be coming from the fitting on the top/right hand side of the radiator.

I'm not one to get the dealer involved for a coolant leak. I haven't had time to dig into the issue but anything I should troubleshoot first?

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure about the SF but the 1098 had issues with radiator cracking at the mount on the top left side (looking from the front). Had to get mine repaired once

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was pretty common when they were new - if it's not the weld at the fitting (I've never seen one crack but there's always a first time) give the clamp a twist - should clear it right up.
It's definitely coming from the weld not from the clamp. Are we sure those two parts are welded together? I'm hoping it's a busted oring......

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
There's definitely not an o-ring there. As long as you have someone in your area that's good at radiator repair they should be able to repair that area fairly easily. However, you will need to remove the radiator and take it to them to do the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bon Vivant
10,200 Posts
It's definitely coming from the weld not from the clamp. Are we sure those two parts are welded together? I'm hoping it's a busted oring......

No like squirrel said that fitting is part of the radiator - "weld" is probably the wrong word its probably brazed or soldered. radiator shop for sure. Can you see a crack in the pipe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No like squirrel said that fitting is part of the radiator - "weld" is probably the wrong word its probably brazed or soldered. radiator shop for sure. Can you see a crack in the pipe?

I definitely can't see any cracks. Could this be a problem caused by something else? I don't want to fix the radiator only for the coolant to find the next "weak" point in the system to escape from..... It only leaks once the bike is turned off after a ride. I know the pressure goes up once the bike is turned off due to the heat. Where is the extra pressure supposed to escape normally?

·
Bon Vivant
10,200 Posts
I definitely can't see any cracks. Could this be a problem caused by something else? I don't want to fix the radiator only for the coolant to find the next "weak" point in the system to escape from..... It only leaks once the bike is turned off after a ride. I know the pressure goes up once the bike is turned off due to the heat. Where is the extra pressure supposed to escape normally?

There's a thermostat that should release coolant into the overflow tank if the system get too hot. If its leaking at the rad it will need to be repaired eventually. Honestly, usually its just the clamp - even if it looks like its coming from the pipe, it wont hurt to screw that in a turn...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts