Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been working on replacing all of my fluids on my 2005 800ss and have found a leak in the push rod in the master cylinder.

For some context the person before me didn’t maintain it well and the fluid was mixed with shimmering metallic pieces. I realize this is a glaring issue but I planned to flush it and if anything happens then I would deal with it.

I flushed all of the fluids and found that the dust boot that covers the pushrod was ripped so I pulled it out and plan on replacing it. After this I realized there was a slow leak of fluid coming out of the pushrod seal (I assume). My clutch has worked fine and hadn’t noticed the leak until I took off the boot.

Should I spend time to take it apart and try to rebuild it (I’m slightly inexperienced). Or should I just buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Could you post a picture of the part you are referring to?

If it is the master cylinder that is leaking you might start by posting the mileage of the bike. if the master is low miles and just needs a fresh seal then searching for a rebuild kit is worth the time. If the miles are higher then I would consider just replacing with either a new or used unit. New it is probably $100-200 so find out which version (picture) you have and then price a new one before spending the same or more on a used one.

If you want to take yours apart and are fine replacing it anyway you have nothing to lose, go ahead and see whats inside. They are very reliable usually so used should be safe but again watch for used being close enough to brand new it makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts

If it is the master cylinder that is leaking you might start by posting the mileage of the bike. if the master is low miles and just needs a fresh seal then searching for a rebuild kit is worth the time. If the miles are higher then I would consider just replacing with either a new or used unit. New it is probably $100-200 so find out which version (picture) you have and then price a new one before spending the same or more on a used one.

If you want to take yours apart and are fine replacing it anyway you have nothing to lose, go ahead and see whats inside. They are very reliable usually so used should be safe but again watch for used being close enough to brand new it makes no sense.
This is the clutch operator rod on my 06 ST3 (50,000 kms). Does the stain on the rod indicate that both seals should be replaced? The slave cylinder seal looks good, but should it be replaced also?
The reason I ask is because I noticed flaking paint around the slave cylinder assembly and have since repainted the whole engine. Will new seals prevent this from happening again?

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
I second purchasing from Steve at Bevelheaven for most of your Brembo needs. Brembo does not like to provide rebuild parts to the U.S. due to product liability issues with people working on their own stufff. Most of the new parts are still available for not very much money. Bevelheaven was not able to provide me all the rebuild parts for the calipers due to availability. I got what I could. I found that the same brake parts were used on the KTM Duke and KTM did sell me the parts. You have to provide them the model and year of KTM you are looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I believe this is the ‘13 system. Here’s the boot that came off as well as the nasty fluid that came out of it that is probably causing the leak. The bike only has 9700 miles

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
The master cylinder will not leak due to dirty fluid, It leaks because the seals are done--- yes dirty fluid can be what started the issue. but I would suggest for what it's worth just replace the master cylinder. Unless you are experienced at rebuilding them --you have to be cafeful because if the bore has any damage it's done. Rebuilds seldom work for more then a short time & personally if I have to spend the time to remove it, & reinstall it then flush & bleed the system and it only works for a few months ---why waste your time, they are not that expensive --just replace it with new & remember to flush & bleed it once a year & you will be fine for a long time. Remember the one you have is 15 years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The master cylinder will not leak due to dirty fluid, It leaks because the seals are done--- yes dirty fluid can be what started the issue. but I would suggest for what it's worth just replace the master cylinder. Unless you are experienced at rebuilding them --you have to be cafeful because if the bore has any damage it's done. Rebuilds seldom work for more then a short time & personally if I have to spend the time to remove it, & reinstall it then flush & bleed the system and it only works for a few months ---why waste your time, they are not that expensive --just replace it with new & remember to flush & bleed it once a year & you will be fine for a long time. Remember the one you have is 15 years old.
Yea I reckon I’ll just buy a new MC. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I think I’ll take it apart just to get some knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.