Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wierd- it leaks only upon starting the machine. i've a '99 900ss and have been experiencing a small engine leak. i've cleaned it and tried to identify where it's coming from, but with no success. i've been told to forget it, but with the anticipation of track days, and their strict track regulations, i must stop the leak. it drips only once when started. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
From the front or the back. Left or right side where you see the accumulation form. Is it where the cases meet, at the bolts? Take a couple of pics for us to see. Does the oil pool on the case after you stop the motor and the motor is cool. Have you had any services done to the bike.

Most common area is at the case/cylinder point. You may have to torque you heads to spec.

Others are when the case/case cover points tend to leak and the gasket compound blows threw.

Clutch O-rings go bad and blow oil out from the clutch and down the case. Though this will not go away when it gets warm.

Lastly, your oil breather may be leaking. The O-ring could be on its way out and starting to leak, but when the motor gets warm the breather expands into the case more securely, stopping the leak.

It sounds like you have a "screw loose"( :D ). Seriously, when the cases heat up, they expand and your leak is gone. When it cools down, the cases contract, creating the gap for oil to escape when pressure is once again created by starting the motor. Give those a try and good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My 99 750 (the first one I had) leaked from the case halves at the rear of the engine. I never fixed it, just rode it (at the track too) It was a small and slow leak which i further slowed by adding a long bolt and nut through the spare engine mount hole at the lower rear of the cases.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1fast750ss said:
From the front or the back. Left or right side where you see the accumulation form. Is it where the cases meet, at the bolts? Take a couple of pics for us to see. Does the oil pool on the case after you stop the motor and the motor is cool. Have you had any services done to the bike.

Most common area is at the case/cylinder point. You may have to torque you heads to spec.

Others are when the case/case cover points tend to leak and the gasket compound blows threw.

Clutch O-rings go bad and blow oil out from the clutch and down the case. Though this will not go away when it gets warm.

Lastly, your oil breather may be leaking. The O-ring could be on its way out and starting to leak, but when the motor gets warm the breather expands into the case more securely, stopping the leak.

It sounds like you have a "screw loose"( :D ). Seriously, when the cases heat up, they expand and your leak is gone. When it cools down, the cases contract, creating the gap for oil to escape when pressure is once again created by starting the motor. Give those a try and good luck.
the leak occurs at the rear cylinder. thanks for the advice- i'll check back with results of my investigation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oil lines- its lealikng from the oil lines on the front of the motor- can I tighten them with the engine cold. or shoul I get it warmed up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts