Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 748 has a mystery leak of some sort of oil/ fluid

I noticed a spot underneath the bike the other day so I followed the fluid up on he engine to near the clutch space. I couldn?t find a definite leak so I cleaned it all up and watched it. There wasn?t anything on a quick ride yesterday however after a 30 minute ride today I have some oil again. It?s hard to see in the pic so I circled the areas. Seems to be oil as it?s gold colored however all the seals are bone dry. It?s not coming from behind the front sprocket, it?s not chain lube and I don?t think the slave is leaking. Any advise?! I?m pretty good at at least finding the point of leak but cannot on this one!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Take the sprocket cover off and clean thoroughly. When the leak appears dust the area with talc and then follow the trail. Graphite dust is easier to follow being black. Check that it not coming from the base gasket and leaking down between the clutch slave or sprocket cover. Also taste the offending drip to make sure it's not clutch fluid from the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’ve got the same annoying leak.
Mine is occurring around the clutch pushrod ,, replaced those (#30) o-rings on a couple of occasions & sadly it made no difference to my problem.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I’ve got the same annoying leak.
Mine is occurring around the clutch pushrod ,, replaced those (#30) o-rings on a couple of occasions & sadly it made no difference to my problem.
Check that the bearing in the clutch pressure plate is spinning freely. If not, the clutch pushrod will spin and damage the O-rings. O-rings are not designed to be durable enough to be used to seal against a moving surface

·
Registered
444 Posts
Check that the bearing in the clutch pressure plate is spinning freely. If not, the clutch pushrod will spin and damage the O-rings. O-rings are not designed to be durable enough to be used to seal against a moving surface
Thanks , never thought of that.
The bearing in my stock plate is a bit iffy to be honest.

Thanks very much :x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts