Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I am bringing my 1999 900SS back to full condition after a rough life at the hands of a non mechanical previous owner.

I have tracked a leak on the lower left hand side to where I think it oil is coming from... apparently it is where the front sprocket shaft come out of the case (although it may be somewhere else) but I am running out of places.

Anyone else have this condition and what did you do about it?

We are talking about two-three drops in a 24 hour period...:eek:

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
We are talking about two-three drops in a 24 hour period...:eek:
@exxon valdeez: there is a seal around the
sprocket shaft, that can be re-placed.*
we call it simmerring, or wellendichtring, try to
pronounciate that, you poor soul.

:)

*from the outside by carefully drilling two
2mm holes on each side of the ring, quite in the
middle of it. Have the sprocket shaft protected
with tape at that time is a good idea, don't ask
how i know, the drill bit might brake and you get
stucked between the seal ring and the shaft, with
the drill still running, that hurts.
With two holes in the ring, on opposite sides likely,
you take two screws with threads that are for use
with wood and have them drilled in there, again,
carefully.
you then take two pairs of pliers, one for each
screw, and pull the ring out gently.

have a look at the shaft, if it needs some cleaning
or very slight polishing before you put the new
ring in, put a thin film of grease on the shaft
won't hurt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks muschi... that would be...wellendichtring...

vell-n-deek-tring.

Lived in Mannheim, Germany for three years.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Thanks muschi... that would be...wellendichtring...

vell-n-deek-tring.

Lived in Mannheim, Germany for three years.
quite close with your pronounciation. :)

i am still surprised on how many of this boards
users have been in our country.

cheers and have fun with the bike. :)

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Is there a chance it is chain lube that is being thrown off it that spot?
Just pondering.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there is a good chance the chain spooge (technical term) is the source of the "leak". I have been cleaning and getting solvent in that area.. I could be dripping down as I penetrate the layers.

I think I finally got to the bottom of the tar pit and at least no drip this afternoon- overnight will tell the tale.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i think i've only ever seen one leak from the output shaft. oil will leak out the clutch pushrod from the join between the alt cover and the crank cases. that is fairly common.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
my SS 1000 DS engine ( 8000 miles ) is leaking from
between the crank case halfes, but not too much yet.

:think:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got the bike the most obvious problem was the "seal" that goes over the clutch shaft. It was so swollen up and soft mushy it was being rubbed on by the chain. That part and the two small o-rings were replaced immediately and the oil drip for what ever reason is going down, down down.

I hate a leaky bike... so far so good. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Chain Wax

I have a 99 900SS and use chain wax , with temps getting warmer here in Michigan and not enough Track Time I do notice chain wax on my case coming from the chain and sprocket and it looks like oil.

Very happy with NO leaks on a stock motor(knock on wood) But that is very common for chain wax to build up around the sprocket area.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all...

As fate would have it...My leak is not at the Sprocket shaft... it is at the clutch push rod. I have looked at the parts fiche and I am unable to figure out if there is supposed to be a seal inside or not. What is clear is that those two dinky O-rings and the rubber bellows thing is not gonna contain that oil.

Any thoughts?

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I was afraid that that would be it. Luckilly its an easy fix. I had my stock one rebuilt took ten mins and a bleed. or you could just bolt on a new slave. STM or such.

·
Registered
665 Posts
2 years ago I did have a leak at the sprocket shaft. The bike was still under warranty then and the seal was replaced for free. No problems since :)

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Thanks all...

As fate would have it...My leak is not at the Sprocket shaft... it is at the clutch push rod. I have looked at the parts fiche and I am unable to figure out if there is supposed to be a seal inside or not. What is clear is that those two dinky O-rings and the rubber bellows thing is not gonna contain that oil.

Any thoughts?
Easy fix, rebuilt kit from dealer stock is $45 make sure it comes with O-rings. I did mine last month Largerthan9 is better then me it took me 20 minutes w/bleed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the words of encouragement- but I must clarify... the clutch slave seems fine, dry as a bone- no problem- I think... unless I am missing something, the "oil" is coming out from the clutch side of the shaft- not the slave cylinder... there is oil in there right? If there is no oil on that side of the case then I need to take yet another look.

If it was the slave side leaking then the fluid would be DOT4, right? How can I tell?

Maybe I ought to do the rebuild anyway- everyone seems to get to that point anyway...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Two things:

1)Clean thoroughly the area and ride the bike. Then check again where the leak comes from.

2)If it's definitely from the clutch area and the slave cylinder is not leaking, check the o-rings on the clutch push rod.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
you will most likely need to remove the alternator cover and replace the gasket or reseal it with your preferred goop. they leak at the alternator cover / crankcase join, where there is an oil holding well just above the pushrod. oil seeps between the two, down onto the pushrod then out behind the slave. there is no seal for the pushrod

the two o-rings sit in further, and replacing them usually does nothing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now this is getting confusing.

I do not think the generator-case seal is bad.

I do have oil or DOT4 near the slave cylinder but the face of slave is dry. No apparent DOT4 leaking.

The clutch rod looks like there is oil on it but it looks clear not the slightly discolored color of the motor oil. A leak from inside?

You say there is oil cavity in there but no seal?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Clean the area is a good way to find the spot! Could it be coming from the oil breather seal? It would be on the top of the case on that side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts