Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to open up my LCD display to see if I could fix some shorts caused by water getting in. It looked like most of the water leaked through the push button “seal” and between the case window and frame. The LCD fired up after wiping a lot of patina off of the circuit board. I then crazy glued the hell out of the case including the push button. The push button still functions as I only glued up the air gaps around the rubber spring.

Since the Duc is stored in a dry garage, I suspect that the water got in there while sitting out during the day at work, esp during heavy rain and wind.

I haven’t seen anyone mention this, so I came up with a bit of protection. I placed a small piece of hook tape on the top of the instruments and a small piece on the bottom edge of the LCD display. I then attached the loop tape to a piece of visqueen (thick plastic sheet / crawl space liner). I backed the visqueen where the loop tape is with a piece of plastic cut from the page manager from a ring binder. I then popped a small rivet through the loop, visqueen, and backing plastic.

It has functioned well over the past week or so. There is no standing water on the display when I get ready to head home and the wind hasn’t stolen the cover.

Riding in the rain, I find that very little water gets on the display compared to what is there when sitting still. Just and idea.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
With decent material and some trimming, it looks fairly unremarkable. The ziplock bag I used on the first try looked REALLY ghey. ;)

http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=6582&c=3

Good idea on the shower caps. Although, I don't know that it works on the older STs. I tried to get some material behind the tach and speedo, but was unsuccessful.

Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts