Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My LCD display is freaking out. It all started fine this morning, then about 5min into the commute, the clock was spinning as if I was setting it, but without touching the button. The temp reported 'LO,' and the fuel showed full. None of which were true. It continued that way the whole way in. The backlight was on as normal.

When I got to work, hoping that cycling they key off and on, would 'reset' the issue, I was surprised to find that the display would not turn off. The backlight functioned as if normal (only on with the key).

After removing and installing all fuses and relays under the seat to no effect, I pulled the fuses under the dash panel. The only fuses that had any effect was the main 30A and the display 3A. Removing either would shut the display off. Although, after re-inserting, the problem started again, with the clock starting at midnight and progressing on its own. I pulled the main for now to prevent any drain on the battery.

I plan on pulling the instruments tonight to see if anything is loose or corroded. I didn't have anything that could loosen the ECU nuts. So, I couldn't pull and reconnect it. I will try that at home also.

Any ideas or common problems? I don't recall reading about this, just that the displays go completely dead. Mine seems too much alive. ;)

I do ride daily regardless of weather. So, my Duc sees a lot of cold rain while parked at work. Otherwise, it hangs out in a relatively warm garage. I guess this isn't the first time I have been wishing for covered parking at work.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine did this early days and was replaced under guarantee

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.

The dealer replaced just the display? Were you able to ride as it was without killing the battery? Any idea if it is reparable? My guess is that these are getting rare.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's water damage. The display isn't water tight, but it takes quite a while for the corrosion to occur. It's a common problem. If you do get yours replaced, I would be interested in your damaged one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.

I popped it out last night. Duc's vendor (MAE?) did a horrible job sealing the unit, as noted. I just didn't think this whacky functioning could be from water, but it was. I’m actually glad it was the display and not some other short in the harness.

The casing popped open with too much ease. There was some patina in several places. Once wiped off and plugged in, all was well. Now, it was down to the job of sealing. There was water intrusion from the push button, plastic window bezel, and from the case seal (seal used very loosely). What a triple whammy. Then to think that similar issues are still cropping up on the 1098? Gawd.

After letting the parts hang out on the shoe rack in our dryer, I used crazy glue to seep behind the display window on both sides and let dry. Then, I glued the push button boot to the push button and into the case. This was the most astounding weak link. As a further measure, tape will be used to seal the button once the clock is set.

After all the glue dried, I reassembled the rest with a lot more crazy glue including between the pigtail and grommet and more on the screws. This thing isn't coming apart again. I may throw in some RTV tonight when I remount it.

It functioned with no glue haze just before stopping for the night. Whew.

Now, I just need to find some 12v / 2W bulbs for the tach.

Have a good one.

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
Thanks for the post Tony. I don't have the LCD short issue (yet??). My bike will be two years old this come June. I don't ride in rain much but I do wash my bike often. If my LCD whacks out in the future, I'll fix it like yours.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are welcome.

If it comes apart as easily as mine, you might want to think of some preventive maintenance. It took four light twists of a small screw driver to pop it apart. Do note that my display, from the 1st gen ST, was just a small fuel/clock/temp gauge:
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=4154&catid=member&imageuser=28162

My guess, with the heavy rains and wind we had heard last week, it drove enough water past the button and window to do it in.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
does anyone know if the actual LCD screen can be replaced on these units? mine is cactus but the rest of the unit is fine. Havent had any joy finding a replacement unit yet - so figured the screen may be more available.

Cheers

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the board it isn't much more complex than a calculator. If you can find a good screen to go with a good baord/case, someone with some soldering skils should be able to do the surgery.

Have a good one.

does anyone know if the actual LCD screen can be replaced on these units? mine is cactus but the rest of the unit is fine. Havent had any joy finding a replacement unit yet - so figured the screen may be more available.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts