Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I removed a stock narrow band o2 intending to replace with a bosch wideband supplied with the LC-2's. The thread looks the same so I thought it would be a simple task and I could get to data logging af's over the weekend.
Not so simple. while the threads are the same, the holes in the exhaust that the threaded flanges are welded over, only have an opening of about 12mm while the head of the bosh sensor is around 16mm.

What's the simplest solution here?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I looked at my spare midpipe and the hole for the vertical cyl is the same as the threaded portion, ~16mm as you noted. If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a 16mm threaded hole but below the threads of the flange is pipe wall with a 12 mm passage? If that's the case, perhaps a bit of very careful work with an appropriate drill bit preferably with each pipe securely clamped on a drill press table might work. I personally wouldn't do it on the bike, way too much chance of boogering up threads and there's the issue of metallic swarf possibly being inducted back through the exhaust valves on startup. If you do booger up threads, the flanges are widely available although most are low carbon steel. With the pipes being stainless I'd be a little leary of welding stainless to regular steel although I'm sure there's a way.

Addendum: I now see you have the full Termi system - that must be the difference. Apparently full Termi systems for other bikes have the same issue: see http://www.phaedrus.me/id18.html, 4th picture down. He did indeed utilize the drill press method.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have the full termi exhaust.
The O2 bungs are in the headers so it's a matter of removing the entire exhaust.
I was considering removing the exhaust less the headers and drilling it out on the bike using a 16mm holesaw with a sleeve to protect the threads, though I haven't looked to see if I'd even have clearance to do this... probably not.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes, I have the full termi exhaust.
The O2 bungs are in the headers so it's a matter of removing the entire exhaust.
I was considering removing the exhaust less the headers and drilling it out on the bike using a 16mm holesaw with a sleeve to protect the threads, though I haven't looked to see if I'd even have clearance to do this... probably not.
I don't think you would have sufficient clearance. Do it right, you have a nice machine!

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you can line up the drill for a straight shot, it might work. You don't want to use a hole-saw - you won't be able to hold it steady without a guide-hole. Honestly your best bet is probably a dremel with a small carbide burr. Remove the pipes so you can clean out the chips. The burr will catch and jump around unless you are able to hold it firm and steady.

A step drill bit might work if you can find one that's not so big that it will cut into the threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you exchange your narrow band O2 sensor with wide band one? Is it operating correctly in this location?
Most wideband sensors are rated lower than narrowband (about 900 degrees) and vendor’s recommendation is to month them at least 24” downstream…
Original O2 sensors are so close to headers that wideband might be in danger.
That is theory ;) and what is your practical experience? I plan to mount also O2 wideband for some tanning needs but struggle with proper location on the manifold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they work fine. They might not last as long there, only time will tell.
If you are just temporarily rigging it up for tuning, it will be fine. If you are fitting an auto tune system, maybe mount them downstream a bit.
I have PCV with auto tune on the bike since July, around 3000kms. They're still fine, I'll update if/when they need replacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts