Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos of the 2010 Ducati Strada Aperta continue to slowly leak onto the web from various spyshot opportunities as the bike undergoes testing. The 1098 powered machine will debut at the EICMA Milan show in 2 months time and will act for Multistrada fans as an upgrade path. The lastest photo shows hard luggage mounted on the bike. Details here

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Kind of hard to tell, but the seat looks like it climbs a quarter of the way up the tank. We called this a "weggie" in high school. I'm just glad Ducati did not try to turn the Multi into a GS1200 competitor. However, its going to be a tall order to fill as a crossover bike. You have to satisfy not only the Multi crowd but also capture the ST crowd. I don't think Ducati is going to replace the ST anytime soon so the new Multi will have to do. I hope its a great road performer, that would be my hot button to buy one. I love the current Multi and the simplicity of the 2v powerplant, I'm sure the 1098 will be impressive in the throttle department, but to me the 2v is more than sufficient and I believe the 4v is going to be costly to maintain because sport tour riders tend to put way more miles on their bikes than sport bike owners. This fact has discouraged many from buying the Ducati, especially in the sport tour category. Unless you do your own valves/maintenance, I wouldn't buy one. Ducati would be better off offering a V4 in the sport tour and tour bike, but that would be like a leak in the dike for them. The Vtwin has been their niche for years and they only developed a V4 because they had to (Motogp). I see that rationale as being the same when talking about a reasonably trouble and maintenance free touring bike. Its time for Ducati to make the V4 because the Vtwin as a sport/tour machine is impractical and not cost effective based solely on the miles issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For those too lazy to click:

Ducati News Today said:
The latest photo of the 2010 Ducati Adventure tourer expected to be named the ‘Strada Aperta’ which will also act as a replacement for the Multistrada has shown up on the interwebs. This time the 1098 powered machine is showing off it’s practical side as it sports hard saddle bags and a top box.

Ducati has confirmed that the new model will debut at the EICMA Milan show this November. The expected name means ‘Open Road’ in Italian. This model is not a direct competitor for the popular BMW R1200GS as it will be significantly lighter and offer much higher performance.

Rather it will be akin to the cross over car segment, a machine that looks like it could be competent off road to the casual observer but firmly designed for tarmac. In this way it is more in the mould of a Triumph Tiger and KTM 950SMT.

·
comrade moderator
26,989 Posts
These spy photo guys just annoy me all to hell. If you are certain it's something special enough to take a snap over your buddy's shoulder, and there's no test rider trying to make a hasty escape, pull over the damn car, walk up and take some damn photo's. Lazy Italian Slackers.:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These spy photo guys just annoy me all to hell. If you are certain it's something special enough to take a snap over your buddy's shoulder, and there's no test rider trying to make a hasty escape, pull over the damn car, walk up and take some damn photo's. Lazy Italian Slackers.:mad:
That's a great point. Almost as if they want the photos to be floating around on the web building interest....No that couldn't be it :)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

Attachments

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
:)

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
That particular factory tester is about 5ft 3in tall-if that helps.

John
Ducati factory employs two testers consisting of two sizes, tall and short. That way they get feedback on how the bike works for most people. I saw this in the book "999, Birth of a Legend"

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I just hope it's a bit more sporty looking when it's finally released
I don't think theres going to be a WOW when its unveiled this year. More or less a "thats better" response, maybe a little more than that just by looking at the headlights and front turn signal/handguard set-up. I kind of like that. I'm looking forward (like all MTS owners) to seeing the new bike but better yet riding it with the new 4v powerplant 1098. Not that I'm really anxious because the Multi I have now I'm plenty happy with. I just got back from a two day group ride and there is no lack of power in the current 1100cc powerplant, even at 9,500 ft the bike can rip. Maybe the new set-up will decrease the number of downshifts while negotiating uphill twisties, but it doesn't bother me because I like the simplicity of the motor. I get excited just seeing the exposed valve cover window and whats underneath it because I've been doing my own services and the 2v is an easier go than the 4v.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I'm preparing to be "WOW" by it :) I've spoken with some well placed Ducati insiders (as expected) they're pretty excited about it, and I think they’re right. The simplicity of an air-cooled 2 valve engine is tough to beat, but after some miles on a Streetfighter I’m a fan of the 1098 engine.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ducati factory employs two testers consisting of two sizes, tall and short. That way they get feedback on how the bike works for most people. I saw this in the book "999, Birth of a Legend"
After the 999 experience, the factory refined their criteria to include tester who were not blind :)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,713 Posts
If the new Multi does everything my current one does and more, and if it gives me an ever better riding experience, then i'm IN!

see ya :)

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
After the 999 experience, the factory refined their criteria to include tester who were not blind :)
At least they knew the difference between what an Italian bike looks like and what a Japanese bike looks like. They lost that ability in 07.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
At least they knew the difference between what an Italian bike looks like and what a Japanese bike looks like. They lost that ability in 07.
I couldn't agree more!

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Lotsa nice details in these pics. Adjustable screen, very different instrument. Might be ugly, but looks like a reasonable sport-touring setup.

pg
DD

1 - 20 of 165 Posts