Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pikes Peak last month! I knew this would happen -- but I guess I don't feel that bad.

I do love this new bike, itself a replacement for the 2013 Pikes Peak I had to sell when I moved to Germany.

But it would be nice to have a quickshifter, nav system in the dash, and a little bit more torque ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bet you it's a V4.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nope. The documents would call that difference out if it were true. Besides, Domenicali is on the record several times say8 g that the non-Superbikes will remain twins indefinitely.
What gives? I can dream can't I? I'm gonna remember you bursting my bubble.

And if by chance they do put a V4 in it,,, you better run lil piggy. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

I did read Dom wants to put the V4 into other platform, but maybe I'm mistaken.

A V4 Multi would be the pinnacle of Motorcycle design.

Btw; did CARB mention anything about a rear brake? hehehe

·
Registered
108 Posts
The V4 engines will definitely go into other bikes than the super bikes, that's for sure.

The only question is whether the new Streetfighter will use a Panigale engine or the V4.

There will definitely be a V4 sport-Tourer or a V4 Multi. Mark my words.

Reactions: kdehkordi

·
Registered
108 Posts
Back on topic of this next Multi, it will likely be the same bike as the current Multi, just with the bigger engine from the XDiavel.

I bet it'll have a new transmission developed with a quickshifter, and I could imagine more functionality in the TFT.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The V4 engines will definitely go into other bikes than the super bikes, that's for sure.

The only question is whether the new Streetfighter will use a Panigale engine or the V4.

We know there is going to be a V4 Super Bike.

The question is what else gets the V-4

Do they revive the Streetfighter, or do we get a special sauce Monster SR-V4? Ducati has to be looking over their shoulders at the Tuono with some trepidation. Either way it could make for some interesting times in the Super Naked market that is so near and dear to my heart.
I demoed the new Touno Factory recently, the bike lives up to EVERY bit of hype that its been getting in the press.

I demoed a Tuono1000 and Monster 1200S when I was shopping my Super Duke. The Tuono was a better ride but fuel ranged itself out of that game, 1200S wasn't as good as either the S1000R or the SD-R....so I went KTM...despite that I could have got that leftover Tuono APRC for like $10,200 OTD.

I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of them though, the SD-R had that gutteral X-factor that made the purchase though.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
We know there is going to be a V4 Super Bike.

The question is what else gets the V-4
For the first year or two? Probably nothing. I expect the V4 will be exclusive to super bikes for at least a while. Ducati will need to work the kinks out and, more importantly, make sure that the V-twin faithful are willing to buy V4s.

Ducati has to be looking over their shoulders at the Tuono with some trepidation.
Seems unlikely. When I was looking for naked bikes, I didn't even consider the Tuono. Too ugly (and that's coming from someone who owns a Super Duke!), pathetic dealer network (at least in the U.S.), and awful range removed it from consideration almost immediately. For me, the BMW S1000R and (obviously) KTM SuperDuke 1290 R were the competition for the Monster 1200S and 1200R.

·
Bon Vivant
11,300 Posts
First of all the Streetfighter was a failure and will likely never be revived. Too bad because I love mine and think with some improvements could be a sales success. If for some strange reason it does come back it will NEVER have a Pani engine - that crazy oversquare engine was designed for one thing and that is to compete at the race track. It's not suitable for a naked bike and Ducati wouldn't build it.

Fubar too bad you didnt look further at the later Tuono factory, Mine gets the same mileage as my Multistrada and has better range than most bikes in its category. It will go farther than my butt will without a break. Frankly I think its the best looking super naked in the group (Except for the SF which is no longer available) But you are right; the '15 and earlier model were damned ugly with bug eyes and nasty paint. I was in the market at that time and test rode one but ended up with an S1000R. When the new bodywork and paint came out on the 16 models and the engine refinements made it even more fun to hoon, I just couldn't pass it up and sold the BMW for a new factory TV4 - more power, better lines, real paint, and a bigger tank made it a much better bike.

The one bike I didnt consider was the SD - I just don't drink the orange koolaid.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a V4 will end up in a newly designed SF or Monster and if one does migrate to the Multi I will bite...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have no doubt about that, but I would guess that's at least 4-5 years out. Ducati doesn't have the resources to simultaneously develop several new platforms. They're gonna chip away at it, one bike and configuration at a time. You know it's going to take a while as the 959 is going to remain a twin initially.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There's only 1 way we're getting another Streetfighter and that's if they don't sell the superbike, they will convert their inventory to a Fighter; remove fairing/add handle bars.

·
Bon Vivant
11,300 Posts
There's only 1 way we're getting another Streetfighter and that's if they don't sell the superbike, they will convert their inventory to a Fighter; remove fairing/add handle bars.
Sorry that's not how Ducati does things. The fighter was based on the 1098 but nothing crossed over - not a single body part or frame part from the SF was the same as the SBK. Even the engine was a complete change from the sbk with the first vacural castings and new port configurations that eventually integrated first to the 1098R and then to the 1198 (Which BTW had further developments and their own configurations as well).

You make it sound like the SF was a parts bin special - not even close.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have no doubt about that, but I would guess that's at least 4-5 years out. Ducati doesn't have the resources to simultaneously develop several new platforms. They're gonna chip away at it, one bike and configuration at a time. You know it's going to take a while as the 959 is going to remain a twin initially.
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-ceo-v4-superbike-details-claudio-domenicali/

The most interesting word to come out of the CEO’s mouth though was that the V4 engine would be a platform engine, meaning that it would exist in other models, in different motorcycle segments.
“The V4 will be a platform, and it will be on different kinds of bikes,” Domenicali told us, while talking about the future of the Italian brand. What those models are, he could not say. “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill,” he said…possibly in earnest.
From that article it sounds like the Ducati line up (motorwise) is going to be the upcoming V4, the Testastretta, and the 950.

This could be really interesting:

for Multistradas. V4 roadie, Testastretta Enduro, and 950 entry level?
Monster and Monster S with Testastretta, and a Moster RS V4?
or
Monster keeps the Testastretta, and the Streetfighter is revived

Daivel with a V4.....could put the power in power cruisers and no half-assing, 200hp with its class leading low weight FU Rocket, FU VMAX, FU anything HD.

...and you still have the 950 Superbike, Hyper, Multi and Supersport

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sorry that's not how Ducati does things. The fighter was based on the 1098 but nothing crossed over - not a single body part or frame part from the SF was the same as the SBK. Even the engine was a complete change from the sbk with the first vacural castings and new port configurations that eventually integrated first to the 1098R and then to the 1198 (Which BTW had further developments and their own configurations as well).

You make it sound like the SF was a parts bin special - not even close.
I stand corrected. Plz accept my apologies. 0:)

Really? Btwn the Streetfighter and the SBK they didn't share even the frame? How about the tail section? Hmmm, it must have been those shit head journalists saying "this is the 1098 w/handlebars" that got in my head. I always secretly admired them, but they look gawd awful to ride; the thin seat and very aggressive/forward leaning riding position, zero wind protection. In my area there are a ton of Duc's and RSV4's, but I rarely see the fighter anywhere.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-ceo-v4-superbike-details-claudio-domenicali/

From that article it sounds like the Ducati line up (motorwise) is going to be the upcoming V4, the Testastretta, and the 950.

This could be really interesting:

for Multistradas. V4 roadie, Testastretta Enduro, and 950 entry level?
Monster and Monster S with Testastretta, and a Moster RS V4?
or
Monster keeps the Testastretta, and the Streetfighter is revived

Daivel with a V4.....could put the power in power cruisers and no half-assing, 200hp with its class leading low weight FU Rocket, FU VMAX, FU anything HD.

...and you still have the 950 Superbike, Hyper, Multi and Supersport
I like how you think. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ would be very cool indeed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts