Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took their key to the tank on my GT1000. I had to return a friend's mobile phone so I took the bike & stopped for a drink on the way home. Couldn't have been inside more than 15 min. then off to home & bed. This morning I saw a pretty deep scratch near the back of the tank! The thing is, it's supposed to be a pretty biker-friendly bar. Guess I was riding the wrong brand...

SO, I've tried some polishing compound and it's reduced the overall appearance but the scratch is still there. Does anyone know of a simple trick to restore the clearcoat? The scratch doesn't go through the paint but you definitely see it on the surface. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The treatment depends on the severity of the scratch.
It is always safer to start with a less aggressive compound first.
You may need a very small amount of cutting compound or, if not quite that bad, a proprietary scratch or swirl remover. Once the scratch is gone you will need to restore the gloss level. This is done with polish.
Best brands to use are Meguires and Mothers. Check out their websites and you will be able to learn more about the correct products to use. for example;
http://www.meguiars.com/howtocenter/

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Try Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound 2.0 if you have a buffer or slow speed polisher. This stuff is like 3 steps in one, and I just used it on a 999s that was in really bad shape. Took out scratches from a tank that had belt buckle marks, side scratches, and other disgusting looking mars.

This stuff works as follows:
  • Wool pad on buffer @ 1000 rpm
  • pour 6" x 3/8" strip onto tank and work buffer into compound slowly
  • work material over tank area, maybe half tank at a time
  • slowly work material evenly across tank and at a steady pace while wet
  • material will begin to dry and disappear, this is when the magic happens
  • when compound appears to be gone, there is a light film that is ready to bring the paint to a dynamic shine, this requires a higher speed (1200-1500rpm)
  • the idea is to generate enough heat over the scratch to make the compound 'heal' it
  • once you see a nice shine and it almost looks like wet clearcoat proceed to next step
  • take a clean 'finishing micro foam pad' and with no compound or material, work over the entire surface and watch the shine some to life
  • Enjoy your new tank!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I had some rock chips on the front of my tank that went through the clear but not the metalic green/grey. I used a dab of clear touch up paint I had around for my BMW and the chip dissapeared. Try getting one of those little touch up bottles from an auto parts store and apply very sparingly with a toothpic or similar. Then follow up with the wetsanding/polishing.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
There is also a trick for handling longer scratches.

Take a small gauge hypodermic needle (from a medical supply store), and fill it with the paint (base or clear depending on what you are doing).

Flush some paint out of the top, and then lay the needle along the scratch. As you pull it back towards you, push the plunger to release a little paint and fill in the scratch line.

It takes a steady hand to do it, and not to stick yourself, but it works. Best to have the part in question on a bench with the scratch up so you aren't working against gravity.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I'll take an inventory of what's in the garage and then probably head out and buy whatever's needed to fix it up right.

It's times like this I'm reminded of why I keep coming back to this forum...obsessively...:)

Really, thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That serves you right for owning something nice. If you can't have it, destroy it. Thats my philosophy. Wait... no its not. Maybe we could scrounge up some stimulus money and start handing Ducs out.. or qualify them on a link card!

·
Registered
69 Posts
An orbital buffer, cutting/polishing pads, and the swirl remover and polish should work out. I've blended away some decent scratches on my black car with white undercoat this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts