Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't dislike the guy or anything, just wondering if anyone thinks he and Ducati should be getting better results in the mess that is AMA.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
6 top 10 finishes in 7 races (one dnf), I would say that is pretty good.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm not taking sides, but I'll add a little clarification>

1st, the AMA "top 10" ain't what it used to be, by a very long shot. So I don't consider that a very high bar in 2009.

2nd, that "DNF" was an unbelievably bad accident in Race 1, Lap 1, T3 at Auto Club Speedway. The first miracle is that he's still with us, 2nd "miracle" is that he took 3rd place the very next day in Race 2. Damn!, that guy is one determined mofo! Go Larry!!

Bruce

·
comrade moderator
26,749 Posts
Larry's a tough cookie, fer sure, but...yeah, I'm surprised he's not having a better season than he's having. I'd be interested to see what it would do with, say, a Chris Peris or Jake Holden on board.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've meet him a few times, and he seems like a nice guy, but I would like to see him put the R on the box a little more. Maybe stick it to Mladin...Now I know I'm dreaming...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is basically World Superbike spec without the restrictor so it is making Larry look better than he is. Larry is a good rider, but with a top rider, that 1098R would be winning races

So when you say "without the restrictor", dose that means that Larry's bike is actually a better bike then is in World Superbike?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I say Ducati drops support for his team, and go back to supporting local club racing.

Per their site:

In an effort to support Team Foremost Pegram Racing as much as possible, Ducati North America will not be offering a contingency program for the 2009 racing season, instead allocating these resources towards returning to Superbike dominance in America. Best Regards, Ducati North America 10443 Bandley Drive Cupertino CA 95014 408-253-0499 ext. 4422 Email: [email protected]

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes more power, that is why it is clearly the quickest superbike out there in the AMA field but Larry isn't the quickest rider
That sounds about right to me. This is interesting- so if Mladin was on the duc than theoretically, after he got used to it, he should be what, say, 2 seconds quicker per lap? So the Duc should be quicker than his GSXR. Or just about equal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes more power, that is why it is clearly the quickest superbike out there in the AMA field but Larry isn't the quickest rider

If this is the case, is there a realistic rider out there that might be available to do any better? Who would be on everyone's short list?

·
comrade moderator
26,749 Posts
Mat Mladin. That's my long list. He 's pretty much making everybody else look silly. I think he's a little tied up with Suzuki at the moment though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am not a fan, personally I think putting Pegram on a Ducati is a waste of time money and resources.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Short list: Hodgeson, Hopkins, Nakano, McCoy. But I'm still a Larry fan. He's representing our Marque in the USA give him some props.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The only reason Pegram is on the Ducati in AMA is that it is cheap for Ducati to do the AMA that way. Larry has his team, which is well set-up and well run and looks profesional (a credit to Larry). Ducati doesn't have to do anything but provide him with bikes, which might just be Bayliss' leftovers. They don't have to own and operate an independent team, with a race facility, a transporter, staff etc. Ducati has all it's financial resources tied up in world supers and motogp hence their absence from basically every other grid. If it weren't for Larry there wouldn't even be a Ducati presence in AMA.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
That sounds about right to me. This is interesting- so if Mladin was on the duc than theoretically, after he got used to it, he should be what, say, 2 seconds quicker per lap? So the Duc should be quicker than his GSXR. Or just about equal.
Sometimes a rider never gets used to a bike, look at Marco Melandri and Bayliss's team mate a few years ago and now Hayden is falling into that rut. I hope he pulls himself out of it though. The Duc seems to not perform as well on twisty tracks, they seem to do better when they are afforded a long straight or two.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hayden isn't doing too good in MotoGP, maybe he can consider return to AMA riding a Ducati. Now there is a fast enough rider for the bike, and Ducati can keep Hayden to sell more bikes in USA. Perfect solution I said................

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hayden isn't doing too good in MotoGP, maybe he can consider return to AMA riding a Ducati. Now there is a fast enough rider for the bike, and Ducati can keep Hayden to sell more bikes in USA. Perfect solution I said................
I like it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about Colin Edwards? He already has the World Title, why not try for the AMA? Bet he would be on a Yamaha though. But it would be better to see him on a 1198!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts