Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent message I indicated that my Hyper died while riding - no electrical power, wouldn't start.

Dealer sent me a new battery - it also did not work. We traced down the main fuze in the rear (good shape) and the wires leading to the fuzes located up front. The front fuzes had popped.

What appeared to be the problem was the metal brace that goes over the middle of the expanded gas tank - in the middle of the bike. It has two rubber bumpers on it to support the seat.

Long story short, my support bar wore through the wrapping around the wires, (pictures attached) and the covering on several of the wires, exposing the bare wires and shorting them. The fuzes did what they were designed to do and popped.

Replaced the battery, the fuzes and double-wrapped the wires. Then ground away some of the metal support bar where it contacts the wiring - giving the wiring more room. Even if the seat bounces around - they should be safe.

Bottom line, if you have the big tank, check your wires and carry spare fuzes if possible.

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Tanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Exactly why I had Eric at PI do mine:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
What appeared to be the problem was the metal brace that goes over the middle of the expanded gas tank - in the middle of the bike. It has two rubber bumpers on it to support the seat.

Then ground away some of the metal support bar where it contacts the wiring - giving the wiring more room.

Lee
just one (ok two) quick questions: what stresses do you think are applied to the metal brace and now that it has been compromised, what do you think the consequences of the broken brace would be :think:

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
60 Posts
I ended up rounding off the corners of the metal brace, no edges now, (it was really jagged and sharp before)and extra heatshrink over the wires where they pass under it. Its now kinda a tight fit so i'll keep an eye on them, i may remove some extra material as well...

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
60 Posts
just one (ok two) quick questions: what stresses do you think are applied to the metal brace and now that it has been compromised, what do you think the consequences of the broken brace would be :think:
I thought about this as well, but there's only four small allen heads holding that entire brace on, hard to believe its too heavily stressed, maybe just to help support the seat and keep it off the tank?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not just the big tanks

Hey it's not just the big tanks folks. I wrote about this a year ago.

When my bike was back from it's 600 mile service I was looking it over to make sure everything was put back right I noticed that the plastic edging on that bracket was not on strait and it had rubbed through the tape around the wire harness.

I straitened out the plastic and wrapped the wires back up. No problems for a year and 11,000 miles, but I always check it when the seat is off.

Now we know happens when one of those wires grounds out on the bracket-total failure.

A word to the wise-

·
Registered
400 Posts
Routing hasn't changed on the larger tanks. You need to make sure your harness is properly routed regardless of which tank you are running.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stresses on the brace - just standard body weight spread out over the different seat brace structures. With the larger tank - the seat does not fit perfectly - some wobble. The wobble and or the v-twin vibrations may be the issue.

I shaved off approximately 1/8th of an inch if that - in a 1/2 area of a 5 -6 inch length brace section. Minimal at best.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Large Tank Producers - may post a possible fix

Good news.

Converstations with the folks that make the tank indicate that they may come up with a possible fix.

It is always great when a company steps up whether the problem is theirs or not.

Lee

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and it had rubbed down through the insulation but had not gotten to the wires themselves yet. I rewrapped it and will just keep checking.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Routing hasn't changed on the larger tanks. You need to make sure your harness is properly routed regardless of which tank you are running.
With the larger tank there is less space, thus the change you got problems is greater.

I wrote about my problem (only wire to brake light shortened) and did the same things. I doublechecked the space for the wiring after this problem, with the original (smaller) tank there is more space.

The real problem is the poor machined bracket of the seat, you can use it as a knife if you want to. Rasorsharp. Sooner or later every hyper will get this problem.

By the way, if you own an "S". Check your front brake lines. The will be cut (the plastic cover around them) by the carbon front mudguard. Please claim under warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last night I did a little grinding on the seat bracket to see if that will work. I'll let everyone know. Thanks for the heads up on the front brakes on the S

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grinding is good - padding is even better

Last night I did a little grinding on the seat bracket to see if that will work. I'll let everyone know. Thanks for the heads up on the front brakes on the S

I also ground down some of the sharp edge where the wiring went underneath the bracket. Then tripple-wrapped the wiring and added foam padding overtop of it. Had to compress the foam a bit, but it should take the Hyper a while to work through the foam and the extra insulation.

I was thinking of trying to find some sort of wound aluminum - similar to a braided brake line - slice it so that I could open it and slip it over the wiring that goes under the brace - then zip tie it in place. Give it an armor coat protection.

Lee

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey everyone, just found out about this thread... you guys are welcomed to email us and let us know there are topics talking about our products so we can be as proactive as possible.

About the wiring: we are now including some edge protection with the kits to go along the edges of the frame brace where the wire looms are routed. If anyone needs edge protection, please email us and we'll get some to you in the mail at no cost to you.

About the wobbly seat: we had the mold changed to relocate the battery 1/2" lower so that it will be the same distance from the seat as the original tank.

Thanks for your guys support,
Chris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey everyone, just found out about this thread... you guys are welcomed to email us and let us know there are topics talking about our products so we can be as proactive as possible.

About the wiring: we are now including some edge protection with the kits to go along the edges of the frame brace where the wire looms are routed. If anyone needs edge protection, please email us and we'll get some to you in the mail at no cost to you.

About the wobbly seat: we had the mold changed to relocate the battery 1/2" lower so that it will be the same distance from the seat as the original tank.

Thanks for your guys support,
Chris
Email sent!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I checked my wires right after the first post on this issue and even though I found no damage, I could see where the brace was wearing the tape I had wrapped around the wires when I installed the seat. So just to make sure; I removed the brace (It did have sharp edges that I had fixed during the tank install) took a porting tool with a 5/16" round bit and relieved the underside of the corner of the brace where the wires run. I took off about 1/8" front and rear; then rewrapped the wires with a couple extra layers of tape and put everything back together. Now you can move the wires around a little, where before they were held tight.
After a couple of months I checked and found no abrasion of the wires at all. The seat brace is not bent, or compressed, so I'm confident there is not problen there. Hope this helps.

Woodchuck

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 08 S has a stock tank and it has rubber that protects the wires from the metal brace, the wires were fine. Also the brake lines were not cut or rubbed by the carbon fender.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts