Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove 2mm or 2.20mm from a set off 996 cylinders. Why? I want to place the 999S crank in my 996 because I want to.

I need larger belt tensioners. Does anyone know if the larger gold pulleys will do the job?

If they will work I am interested in purchasing a horizontal 996 cylinder.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can't see bigger rollers taking up that much.

get carrillo to make you some longer rods.
The 748R rods are 2mm longer than the normal ones, so I can go that route is I want. I think the 1198 are too but need to do more research to verify. Having a machine shop make larger rollers would cost less than the rods and rod bolt by a good margin.

And you haven't been on the forum to know I spend as little as possible on these time bombs. Between school and reproducing I have to spend my money on things other than these bikes.

Fabricating a mounting plate that places the pulleys farther apart will not cost me much either. I think I am going to go for it, and put the 996 crank in the 999 engine for another project.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pretty sure it was the 748 (edit - 749 is correct), but my memory is fallible.

You have good knowledge. Where does it come from?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pretty sure it was the 748, but my memory is fallible.

You have good knowledge. Where does it come from?

Check his signature, he is a “...know all wanker...”.

That’s hilarious belter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides cam timing, and modifying the belt covers, and the emotion fear, is there a reason why I cannot run 4 adjustable pulleys?

mrfurry, thanks for the link. The seller confirmed that if I run all 4 tensioner over sized, then there will be no issue skimming 2mm. (1mm of the head and 1mm of the cylinder)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If you are going that far you SHOULD be doing the cam timing regardless. Bigger tensioner might be "enough" to make it run but you are leaving a lot on the table IMO. That requires the initial cam timing be somewhere near perfect to begin with too, which they most likely aren't if you haven't dialed them in yourself.

I run adjustable alloy pulleys from these guys. Good quality and very fair prices.

https://www.kbike.it/lang_EN/index.php?lang=en

Not that hard to do honestly, just a fiddly job (the cams tend to want to spin while you are making fine adjustments, if not for that you could do it in less than an hour).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Horizontal is spot on around 107/108 something while the vertical is 110/111... or something. I'll degree the cams if I do the crank.

It doesn't matter much to me. The power is there, but when I am flogging the bike lap after lap I tend to not care too much about the shape of an already big torque curve. Relatively speaking.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
"Free" power is hard for me to turn down...

Point being if you go with the adjustable pulleys you will have more than enough leeway to compensate for the skim job.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
oh, i'm not getting into any games about pointless wasting of money on motorcycles.

mainly because i win.:grin2:

i put paso wheels in a monster.

but motivation on this one that i think is possibly misguided, given experience.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Longer rods = better rod angle. By the time you modify the cylinders and work out the tensioner show much will you have spent ?
Not understanding why you would not go with longer rods since you have no issue with spending money.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
oh, i'm not getting into any games about pointless wasting of money on motorcycles.

mainly because i win.:grin2:

i put paso wheels in a monster.

but motivation on this one that i think is possibly misguided, given experience.
you put 16s on a monster?????:surprise:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess. But it's not difficult to do. If I don't like it I can go back to a normal stroke with a skimmed head. (I'll keep a set of standard cylinders)

It's something to do.

Longer rods = better rod angle. By the time you modify the cylinders and work out the tensioner show much will you have spent ?
Not understanding why you would not go with longer rods since you have no issue with spending money.
It's not going to cost much at all. Skimming costs little. I have the all the parts minus the pulleys. Maybe $350.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,193 Posts
Because you can......
My riding mate Danny Vipen just completed another..." Just because he can " bike.

Started with a 400, fitted a second front disc, 650 crankshaft, skimmed 800 barrels, 800 pistons and heads, 38mm Mikuni carbies and a custom made Pazon ignition system.... all because he can.. and had the bits lying around the shed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts