Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how other Sport Classic riders feel about lane splitting either while moving or at stop lights. I for one do not feel comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
egrafx2006 said:
Just curious as to how other Sport Classic riders feel about lane splitting either while moving or at stop lights. I for one do not feel comfortable doing it.
Legal in California right? I would think people would be somewhat more aware that there is the potential for a bike to be comming up alongside them. Here in New York you'd be looked at as having a death wish. I have had occassion in traffic (on air cooled bikes) when I've had to split. Most people are cool. Some people get super aggressive... like cutting in the lunch line at kindergarden.

·
ROF
686 Posts
egrafx2006 said:
I feel really confident about lane splitting ever since I bought the LANE SPLITTING TRAINING VIDEO PART ONE and PART TWO

·
Registered
203 Posts
I lane split. Some prior experiences leave me wondering about doing so, however, in the middle of Southern California traffic is not a place I like to find myself sitting for any length of time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RevDice said:
Legal in California right? I would think people would be somewhat more aware that there is the potential for a bike to be comming up alongside them. Here in New York you'd be looked at as having a death wish. I have had occassion in traffic (on air cooled bikes) when I've had to split. Most people are cool. Some people get super aggressive... like cutting in the lunch line at kindergarden.
Legal in Cali.

Lane splitting is awesome....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here in the UK if you don't lane split (or "filter") during your test you'll fail for not having enough confidence. It happened to someone in my class.

I've been lane splitting in London every day for the almost 19 years we've lived here. Over that time I've had two drivers suddenly turn without signalling and contact was made. Whenever I'm on a loud bike people are more apt to move over to let me by; I feel safer.

There are "Think Bike" safety campaigns in the press and drivers are fairly bike aware, which helps. In the north of England, where the love of bikes is stronger despite crap weather, drivers seem to keep one eye on the rear view mirror and move over consistently. I notice the couriers on bikes held together with tape and wire always wave thanks while the white-boots brigade on the latest bikes don't. They should!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Here in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire there isn't enough traffic to lane split, but having learned to ride while going to college in NYC and then living in Boston for many years, it remains a natural response.

Last summer while returning from the White Mountains with some pals we ran into a total, accident caused, stop up on the highway. My friends stopped with traffic. After 5 minutes or so with us having moved 2 or 3 car lengths I simply rode into the break down lane and went forward at about 15mph. One by one several other bikes in the stopped up morass followed my 'bad' example. We were passed the accident in minutes and on our way.

"Damned New Yorker" I muttered to myself in the rear view mirror. :D

-don

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes - do it all the time. In fact, before I started lane splitting, I would feel a little stupid for not doing it as other bikes would pass me by or as a perfectly good path would present itself while being stuck in stop and go traffic. I don't lane split in traffic moving at 40mph or faster.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
+1 for Lane Splitting

Lane splitting is legal in The Netherlands ..... riding a bike shaved a lot of time off my daily commute. Plus, I rather be on a bike than in a cage, even when it rains. I've never encountered any hostility from drivers during rush-hours and especially in bad weather, people (have?) had a tendency to open a corridor for bikers. I've seen the opposite at other times. Going to, or coming from, the beach on a nice, warm summer day ..... huge lines of traffic and the only ones really moving are the people on bikes. Time to pay very, very close attention. I've even had richard-heads open their doors, forcing me to make a panic stop :mad:

The legislators in Texas voted against lane splitting in TX last year; hope they change their minds this year. It's quite entertaining to read the comments from those who voted against, especlially keeping in mind that Texas revoked the helmet-law.

RonB

·
Registered
243 Posts
I lane split all the time. I split in the city, on the way to school, as I feel safer having cars in between me and the people arriving at the back of the line. I'll split on the freeway, but it depends on the circumstances. I've had fewer occasions of people moving in my way lanesplitting than I have at speed.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Mhe225 said:
The legislators in Texas voted against lane splitting in TX last year; hope they change their minds this year. It's quite entertaining to read the comments from those who voted against...
Non-riders know so little about motorcycling it is no surprise that they'd vote that way. But we cyclists are sometimes to blame. I expect that when a legislator thinks of lanesplitting what they picture is the fools among us who weave thru traffic heedless of other motorists. That is what they likely think they will be legitimizing.

-don

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ride in NYC often and consistently split lanes in traffic and ride to the front at stop lights. It's almost the norm for motorcyclist in NYC... not lane splitting in NYC may actually be considered more dangerous. Its funny in the city the drivers in the cages and cabs could care less if you "filter" or split lanes. In the suburbs of NJ when you split lanes the wives on scholarship in the Range Rovers and Escalades may attempt to run you down. In traffic, motorcycles lane splitting saves time for everyone. Unless of course you die.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I ride to work in Peak Southern Cali traffic everyday. If I didn't split I would go crazy. It's to the point I really can't stand even driving my car in traffic anymore.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
It would be great to be able to split in CO - but it there are a lot of really aggressive drivers here (seems to be concentrated to this state for some reason).

Just curious, those of you who have had someone open a door on you while splitting, how do you react to the person?

Or maybe, how do you react to an aggressive driver at all?

I've not had an opportunity to split here, and I'm not inclined to break the law to do so, but I am very interested in the idea of filtering.

Since coming back from Iraq, I seem to have less patience for traffic (I drove trucks) and I am also the Motorcycle safety liason for my unit, and would like to gain more insight on this subject.

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Buellfire said:
It would be great to be able to split in CO - but it there are a lot of really aggressive drivers here (seems to be concentrated to this state for some reason).

Just curious, those of you who have had someone open a door on you while splitting, how do you react to the person?

Thanks!
Like I said, I lane split every day. 90% of the time I'm splitting is on my work bike. but in over 70K on my work bike and over 30k on my other two bikes, I have never had someone open a door on me. In Califonia people are used to it. For the most part, people are usually somewhat courteous(when they are paying attention) but it seems like a good portion of them don't even realize your coming, they are to busy talking on thier cell phones to notice.

I'll tell you what though, I've seen some guys split way to fast. They have zero chance if a car moves slightly over. Every morning when you listen to the traffic report you hear of a motorcyclist down on the freeway. A couple of days ago, there were three down at the same time. If that crap keeps up, it wont surprise me if lane splitting goes away. That being said. I always wonder when I see a bike sitting in traffic, Why you would ride a bike and not split. If I'm going to sit in traffic, I might as well have AC or Heat and not breath in exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Buellfire said:

Or maybe, how do you react to an aggressive driver at all?

I've not had an opportunity to split here, and I'm not inclined to break the law to do so, but I am very interested in the idea of filtering.
Never had anyone open a door on me, but have had a few try to pinch me off as I was coming through. I kind of laugh at aggressive drivers, as there's not much they can do about it. If they're really aggressive, I just hang back and look for another way past them. I've had more near collisions from people not paying attention than anyone being aggressive towards me.

Splitting depends on a lot of factors though. The way trafffic is acting, road conditions, weather conditions, lane width, traffic speed, how I'm feeling all influence my decision to split or not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
dug said:
Splitting depends on a lot of factors though. The way trafffic is acting, road conditions, weather conditions, lane width, traffic speed, how I'm feeling all influence my decision to split or not.
Thats intersting you mentioned that. I completely agree. I was just telling my friend how it's like the traffic has a pulse and that somedays people are just not driving well and I can't wait to get off the freeway and feel lucky I made it. Other times it's flowing really well and it's pretty uneventful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, it's not like there's anything definable sometimes, it's just a feeling. Even though everything looks cool, I just hang back 'cause it doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
True. If I leave 20 minutes early or late in the morning the traffic has a whole different feel to 'normal'.

How about the people talking on cell phones as they drive? You can tell as you come up behind them - a dozen a day with a death wish. They're worse than drunks; goodness knows how many of them I've been by without ever noticing impairment.

It's illegal in the UK to talk on a handset while driving. Unfortunately it's another one of this government's 1,400+ new laws passed in the last 9 years that goes completely unenforced. Scary.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yup, the cell phone users are usually pretty obvious. They're the ones going 5-10mph slower than everyone else (while they're in the middle lanes, no less).

1 - 20 of 89 Posts