Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try this?

I just put on the ZG Sport tour screen on a '99 ST4 and I'm not happy with the turbulent airflow because of wind noise. That was the reason I put the ZG on in the first place.

I'm 6'1". I found that if I sit super-stretched vertically...to sit as tall as possible...I get into a clean airflow with my head. Much less noisy. But I can't maintain that position for long. Assuming that clean air zone is above the pocket produced by the screen, I was thinking the shorter ZG sport screen might give clean flow to my head...or put on a Laminar Lip to bring a hopefully less turbulent bubble over my head....what say?

(Email sent to LL regarding fitment. I still have the original screen if I have to revert for the Laminar.)

I find the wind noise unbearable -- it blows out my hearing and I always wear plugs. Acoustically, I believe the wind roar is actually resonating in the helmet or the skull even...hahaha. So the plugs can't actually prevent that. Not funny really.

·
Registered
2006 Ducati ST3s
84 Posts
ZG Sport touring Screen

I'm 6'3" and tried the ZG ST screen on my '06 ST3s. I had the same problem as you, more noise when I had actually bought the screen to try to lessen the wind noise. I finally went with the standard ZG replacement screen, because I wanted a tinted screen. It is not too bad as far as noise goes. The ZG folks were nice to deal with and let me return the ST screen with no hassles. I never did try the Laminar Lip due to the ugliness factor.

Steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve.
Unfortunately, I ordered the ST screen from the ZGOutlet...which does not talk to the parent company and is not available for phone calls. So I may have to sell it privately if they do not email me back...and I just ordered the SR screen from the "regular" store.

No word from Laminar yet.

Summer's passing...

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
ZG ST screen

Anybody try this?

I just put on the ZG Sport tour screen on a '99 ST4 and I'm not happy with the turbulent airflow because of wind noise. That was the reason I put the ZG on in the first place.

I'm 6'1". I found that if I sit super-stretched vertically...to sit as tall as possible...I get into a clean airflow with my head. Much less noisy. But I can't maintain that position for long. Assuming that clean air zone is above the pocket produced by the screen, I was thinking the shorter ZG sport screen might give clean flow to my head...or put on a Laminar Lip to bring a hopefully less turbulent bubble over my head....what say?

(Email sent to LL regarding fitment. I still have the original screen if I have to revert for the Laminar.)

I find the wind noise unbearable -- it blows out my hearing and I always wear plugs. Acoustically, I believe the wind roar is actually resonating in the helmet or the skull even...hahaha. So the plugs can't actually prevent that. Not funny really.
Hi, This is strange or maybe its to do with your heigth, I bought my lovely ST4 MY2000 in 2007 and found the std screen to be a real PITA at anything above 80mph, I am only 5ft 10", so i sent off to CA for the tinted ZG ST screen, the transformation was incredible, I now cruise at 100mph in total comfort and have not noticed any issues on the rare occasions i cruise at 120-130mph,
just my 0.02$ worth :)
BTW I just got back from a 150mile mountain ride after replacing my worn Corsa 111's with the BT016R's, WOW is my only comment, I found the bike so taut and eager to lay down, it just reinforced the fact that it way out performs what I can give it, still got 1/2" chicken strips in back and thats fine with me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Brad. That's not my experience at all, as I've said.

Heard back from Laminar, and they do have a product for the ZG ST screen, not shown on their website.

Unfortunately, yesterday, I ordered the ZG SR screen...once I try that I will take it from there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have tried two "touring" screens. One that was purported to be a Ducati Performance product by the E-Bay seller (it had a Ducati part #). It was taller, had a pronounced hump, and was quite rounded on the top edge. It came with a vinyl edge trim and I paid $100.00 for it on E-Bay. It was very well made, but the wind noise was much worse than stock, and frankly I did not like the looks of it. I took it off, then tried to modify it, and screwed it up.

On the advice of others, I tried the ZG touring screen, and find it takes the wind off my chest, but still allows enough to my shoulders to push me up comfortably at speed. I had found that above 70 MPH (63 in real MPH) the stock screen fatigued me, where the ZG offers just enough protection at higher speeds that you can relax your trunk. As for noise, I think that it is slightly better than stock, but still noisy (but not as bad as the other touring screen). On their web site ZG even has a disclaimer that states that depending your height and riding position noise will vary. Unless you raise the wind above your helmet to where your head is completely within the wind envelope (read the tall and ugly screen that some company makes for the newer ST's), or you keep the screen low so that your helmet is in the pure air stream where there is no turbulence, you will have wind noise (especially if you wear a flip up helmet).

For me the ZG touring screen works on two levels. First I ride longer with it before tiring as it reduces the force of the wind at speed. This is reason enough to keep it for me. Second, it looks better on an 03 than the stock screen (IMHO), and much, much better than the rounded look of the Ducati touring screen (which I think is made by someone else possibly Givi for Ducati and no longer offered??)

By the way ZG Outlet is a ZG "seconds" reseller. I ordered my screen from them at 40% savings and it looks and fits fine. I could not tell it from new, except it had no ZG stickers on it. They claim they have over 90% satisfaction from customers. I guess the flaws are usually minor optical ones. They are guaranteed to fit.

Fred

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fred. I got my ST screen from ZGO as well, but it was an "overstock," item, purportedly not a second, and it did have stickers and fit correctly too.

I ordered the short screen from ZG-proper in case I need to return it. Can't call ZGO on the phone, so that's a drawback.

I hear you about wind off the torso, but the wind noise factor from turbulent air is primarily important to me. That's why I am checking out the SR short screen...maybe get clean air at the helmet.

(FWIW, I also ordered an new helmet, Arai Profile, which might be quieter.)

I'd welcome comments from Laminar Lip users, as they make products for both the stock and the ZG ST screens.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Zg St

I have tried two "touring" screens. One that was purported to be a Ducati Performance product by the E-Bay seller (it had a Ducati part #). It was taller, had a pronounced hump, and was quite rounded on the top edge. It came with a vinyl edge trim and I paid $100.00 for it on E-Bay. It was very well made, but the wind noise was much worse than stock, and frankly I did not like the looks of it. I took it off, then tried to modify it, and screwed it up.

On the advice of others, I tried the ZG touring screen, and find it takes the wind off my chest, but still allows enough to my shoulders to push me up comfortably at speed. I had found that above 70 MPH (63 in real MPH) the stock screen fatigued me, where the ZG offers just enough protection at higher speeds that you can relax your trunk. As for noise, I think that it is slightly better than stock, but still noisy (but not as bad as the other touring screen). On their web site ZG even has a disclaimer that states that depending your height and riding position noise will vary. Unless you raise the wind above your helmet to where your head is completely within the wind envelope (read the tall and ugly screen that some company makes for the newer ST's), or you keep the screen low so that your helmet is in the pure air stream where there is no turbulence, you will have wind noise (especially if you wear a flip up helmet).

For me the ZG touring screen works on two levels. First I ride longer with it before tiring as it reduces the force of the wind at speed. This is reason enough to keep it for me. Second, it looks better on an 03 than the stock screen (IMHO), and much, much better than the rounded look of the Ducati touring screen (which I think is made by someone else possibly Givi for Ducati and no longer offered??)

By the way ZG Outlet is a ZG "seconds" reseller. I ordered my screen from them at 40% savings and it looks and fits fine. I could not tell it from new, except it had no ZG stickers on it. They claim they have over 90% satisfaction from customers. I guess the flaws are usually minor optical ones. They are guaranteed to fit.

Fred
I didn't know about that outlet, thanks for the heads up!. yuo didn't mention your heigth, as you seem to have the same experience as me except for the wind roar which i dont seem to get. I never use ear plugs but having std exhausts i dont think it warrants it, plus using a full face visor down all the time
Brad ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brad,
I see your screen has a bead on the edge, mine does not.

Phoned Leo from Laminar earlier and he suggests the ZG ST screen with LL might give better coverage than the OEM screen with LL (touring lip.)

Short screen will hopefully be here early next week.

Good luck with the ZGO, they have not answered me regarding possibility of return. My screen was sold as a new overstock, not a second. The price was a bit cheaper compared to the main company's listed web price.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brad: I am just shy of 6'. I use 1/2 inch risers on the bars, which might sit me slightly more upright on average. The wind noise/roar that I experience is most likely greater due to the design of my Caberg Justisimo flip up. It is not known as a "quite" helmet. I wear ear plugs. Which is always a good idea.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Brad,

Vincenzo - I put a beautiful bead edge on on a dark ZG ST screen (which I like, BTW). I used about $1 worth of black plastic door edge guard from AutoZone. FWIW.

Also, I'm not so sure that the wind noise is so much from the windscreen as from these poorly-designed helmets we have. Try removing the windscreen completely, go for a ride and see what the "delta" is. The windscreen might push a little more air around the helmet, but our helmets just don't help a whole lot with airflow. But, golly, those decals sure add value, don't they?

Giorgio :)

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi guys,

I too have a stock screen on my 02 ST2 and the wind noise is forcing me to by a new helmet.
I currently have an AGV Airtech. I recently tried a ARAI Vector & it was markedly better, much quieter but I still think the screen profile contributes to the problem.

I was lucky enough to find and purchase a brand new Ducati Performance Touring screen kit with top fairings, fasteners & new dash board.
I haven't had a chance to fit it yet and will probably do so after it's 30,000km service which is due anytime soon.

Below are some old catalogue photos showing the different style screen and fairings, it even has a sticker to make the headlight look different.

I don't know whether they make a big difference as they were a fairly pricey option back in the day, so not many people seem to have them.
I got a bargain so if it helps, it will be cheaper than a new helmet.

If anyone has better photos, please post them, with your experiences.

Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Brad,

Phoned Leo from Laminar earlier and he suggests the ZG ST screen with LL might give better coverage than the OEM screen with LL (touring lip.)

Short screen will hopefully be here early next week.

Good luck with the ZGO, they have not answered me regarding possibility of return. My screen was sold as a new overstock, not a second. The price was a bit cheaper compared to the main company's listed web price.
Hi Vincent,
seems its all you tall guys havin the problemos, I put on the beading myself, it was an off the shelf non stock item, This was to prevent cracking the screen whilst manhandling the bike during parking,(Dont ask :-( )
Maybe as a side FX it reduces wind roar ????!!!??? doubt it! So i'm staying happily medium height and out the wind noise. N.B. In Spain i like to hear whats coming up behind me as rear ends are not uncommon at lights, so no plugs........What's that you said?
:) :) Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts